Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. I didn't time travel. That's tomorrow when I get back to work and everyone in the world complains about something.

I've been watching Turn: Washington's Spies on AMC which is at least loosely based on real life. Went to visit my daughter who lives on Long Island this weekend.

After watching a movie we decided to drive over to Setauket, one hotbed of spies for Washington during the Revolution. Found the place ok, and check this out, were able to visit the church (burned in 1815 and rebuilt), and the cemetery. We weren't the only people there visiting.

Seems like the place had gained some popularity lately. The position of the church, village green and at least 1 still standing 18th century building were pretty accurate
and laid out similar to that in the TV show. Went out back in the cemetery and found Abraham Wooodhull's grave and his family plot.

Now, on the marker it states that Woodhull was a friend of George Washington.

Here's the irony...The Washington's and my family are related through his grandparents. So for me it's "Cousin George". I have also visited our ancestral home in Westmoreland County, Virginia. So here's the rub, some 240 years after the fact, members of Washington's extended family
visit his friend's gravesite.

Interesting perspective on time. Happy Fourth of July. Got pics but the cell phone I took them on turns them sideways when I post here. Haven't figured it out yet.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, didn't take the detector. The village green is right across the street from the church. I think you need a permit in Sussex County to detect. Was just visiting this time. There were about 75 coins on the top of Abraham Woodhull's memorial. My daughter and I added a couple. Not sure why, I guess just respect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions