A funny thing happened at the park... the teenagers realized THEIR hobby is worse...

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I may be mad but I DO love her. If I did not punish her by taking her phone away then she, being a kid (17), would use it as an excuse to do God knows what. When it comes to her physical & mental safety "NOTHING" gets in my way for sure. My kid "knows" to check in at regular intervals. She "knows" she does not belong out walking the streets at 2:45am. Let alone go to some DESERTED PLACE like Deer Island. SOOOOOO, In 3 days We will have "the Talk"". Depending on her attitude she will either get her phone back or it will be another 3 days. Her choice. BUT when all is said and done she will know I love her. End of story. NOW about Pokemon. Who do I go after ??
:icon_scratch: :angry4: PEACE:RONB

PS: you can bet I'm thinking about this one for sure. !!!

Folks; What say ye Parents ?? Do you think it is time to take OUR kids back ?? I await. PEACE:RONB

Last edited:

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know when this game was released but a few weeks ago I noticed tons of people (seemingly suddenly) walking around with their right arm cocked up, staring at their phone. The realization felt like something along the lines of Invasion-of-the-Body-Snatchers. Only within the past week have I really learned of this game. Today our 12yo comes home after playing it with a friend and says he needs his own phone to play it on. Last month he got a new xBox to play OverWatch on. He spent around $300 and played that game for 2 weeks. Needing a new system to play the "fill-in-the-blank" is already a pattern the cycles are just getting shorter....

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well yep, the game does get people out walking around, but they're like zombies.

BARKER- remind your daughter deer island was where the body of the 3 year old little girl was dumped. Some not so nice people visit there at odd hours.

There will diffinately be law suits filed when people start getting killed while playing the game.
I don't get it, they remove the fats from food, limit our soda size, tell us we can't text or talk while we drive...but they allow this?

....your right, we don't look so much like the crazy ones any more.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Miami had one of the first Nimrod awards..... er, I mean, pot arrests go to a young man who didn't realize, "if ya ain't in the hood, don't be smoking, driving, and playing pokeman go in a car". :laughing7:

Pokemon Go player in Miami arrested on pot charge | Miami Herald

"MIAMI (WSVN) - A South Florida man has been arrested after police said they found marijuana in his car while he was playing Pokémon Go.

Police said that just after midnight, Thursday, they spotted a car driving through the parking lot of the Pelican Harbor Boat Ramp in Miami. “As the police came over and checked him out, he rolled down the window — a cloud of marijuana smoke appeared to come out of the car, which aroused the cops interests, and in questioning, he indicated he was in the park looking for Pokémon,” said Ed Griffith of the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office.

Police said they found marijuana in the man’s car. “On one hand, it’s a normal possession of marijuana case,” Griffith said. “On the other hand, it’s a little unusual.”

According to an arrest report, cops found a medium sized zip-lock back with marijuana in it, they also found multiple clear small empty baggies, a scale and a grinder.

The area has recently been a hot spot for Pokémon Go players. Two players could be seen there playing the popular game, Thursday afternoon.

The game uses augmented reality via smartphones. Players travel around in the real world, in search of animated Pokémon creatures that can only be seen on the smartphone. The game was released last week and has attracted many players.

Despite its recent release, Pokémon Go has already made headlines. However, this may be the first Pokémon-related arrest in Miami-Dade County. “We’ve seen the stories about being careful as you wander around and pay attention,” Griffith said. “There’s also something about, be careful that you follow the law.”

The suspect faces felony charges including possession of marijuana with intent to sell and drug paraphernalia with intent to deliver. He has since bonded out of jail."

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much as its not my favorite game, we need to remember the same logic we use for gun control, the game does not make these people do things. Yes, some may not understand this fad but some people are enjoying it and using it correctly. And with something so trivial such as a game, all we need to worry about is playing according to our specific house hold rules and in moderation. Don't knock a silly game. Save that for something more important like current events that I won't name.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I almost hit two of them yesterday. They came trotting out from behind a convince store, Mom and Teenager, busting across the parking lot. Both heads down, oblivious to the surroundings.

As I was leaving I could hear someone else blowing their horn at them.

This won't go away. The profits are too huge. (for the corporations)

The Washington Post had an article about it the other day. It's amazing at how much information 'they' are collecting while you are playing. When signing up for the app your permission has been given granting access your camera, email, GPS, microphone and a few other features.

Screen Shot 2016-07-16 at 1.16.36 PM.png

Last edited:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Best NSA tool to date!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My son came over the other day to help install a new dishwasher and was telling me about this Pokemon phenomena as I noticed my daughter was involved playing it.
The first thing I thought of was the craigslist murder and asked if this was safe?
Fads on the other hand come and go very quickly as they always have.
I'd rather be swinging a coil for history.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I catch my "adult" co workers playing this on the job to kill time. This is good for us though, if they are out wandering around not paying attention they are probably dropping fresh finds here and there.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi; I may be mad but I DO love her. If I did not punish her by taking her phone away then she, being a kid (17), would use it as an excuse to do God knows what. When it comes to her physical & mental safety "NOTHING" gets in my way for sure. My kid "knows" to check in at regular intervals. She "knows" she does not belong out walking the streets at 2:45am. Let alone go to some DESERTED PLACE like Deer Island. SOOOOOO, In 3 days We will have "the Talk"". Depending on her attitude she will either get her phone back or it will be another 3 days. Her choice. BUT when all is said and done she will know I love her. End of story. NOW about Pokemon. Who do I go after ??
:icon_scratch: :angry4: PEACE:RONB

PS: you can bet I'm thinking about this one for sure. !!!

Folks; What say ye Parents ?? Do you think it is time to take OUR kids back ?? I await. PEACE:RONB

Your damn right BARKER taking her phone.... (tough love). But I'm with creekhunter (#19) I would have had my BUTT WHOOPED badly! And I truly believe you do love your child but you GOT to do what you got to do. 72 hours without her having a phone wouldn't even hit my radar....... so where would it start with me? I really don't know because every child's past/& relationship w/parents is different. Maybe I'm a hardcore SOB (am) but you are right BARKER.... Not only is it time.... Many/most are LATE taking there children "back"!!!!! But I totally agree with you buddy.... Brad

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; It has gotten so bad in Boston that Companies have issued Written Warnings to all their Employees that if they are caught playing Pokemon on Company time they will be suspended the FIRST time. That they will be FIRED for a second Offence. Folks are walking out of their offices to play this dang game. A guy in PA was killed when he walked directly in front of a TRAIN.!!! :dontknow: How the hell do you miss an oncoming 30 ton TRAIN !!! :BangHead: The crooks have already started their crap as well. 3 idiots in Florida were luring young teens to secluded areas where these scumbags would rob them. They got busted. Good riddance. I think what's gonna happen is enough people are gonna get hurt and the Lawsuits will start and this Fad will die a due cold hard death. My kid gets hurt and may God help them. They won't have to worry about the cops. They'll have to worry about ME.!!:angry9: :angry4: :violent1:. I'm stopping here. I'm getting worked up. What say ye Folks ?? I await. PEACE:RONB

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi; I can't post what I'm thinking right now about PokemonGo. My kid is now "GROUNDED" because of her actions playing this dang game. I took her phone and put it in my Safe and LOCKED it.!!! I'm Incensed over it. Last night my kid came home at 2:45AM. I was wide awake waiting. She said she HAD to go to Deer Island to collect a Pokemon Nest that was there. That's a 19 MILE trip from home at 2:45AM Folks.!!! Ill be danged but my kid will NOT Disrespect me like that again. I"M HER DAD, NOT POKEMON.!!! She WILL live by my basic House Rules or pay the Price. I don't care if she plays a game but she WILL do it in a normal Rational Manner PERIOD.!!! I'm ripping. I'm mad as hell but I don't know who to go after yet. God help them if I figure that out. !!! Maybe it's time now for us Parents to put a cold stop to this madness. What say ye Folks ??? I await. PEACE:RONB :angry4: :help:

I remember getting home at all hours of the night. I would even leave the house at all hours of the night. Of course, I was also in the Vol. Fire Dept and kept my grades up!! :laughing7: That's what we had growing up. Never could get into partying and getting drunk - I had to do things....

....constructive - like this: Stupid - Copy.gif

It's bad enough when video games started forcing people to "play online", but now they're doing something that's getting people hurt/killed. That's wrong. If it's THAT addictive and people are getting physically hurt, then something needs to be done. Personally, have never heard of this "game" before - just happened upon this thread this very evening. Such a waste (in MY opinion).

That said, we also cannot allow our society to become sterile of any/all potential harm. What I mean by that is, people are getting hurt playing this game, as well as creating hazardous situations for innocent bystanders/motorists. Yet the same EXACT thing happens with drivers of automobiles EVERY -- SINGLE -- DAY!! Yet we keep the cars driving and the gas flowing. Yes, transportation is different from a video game on a phone, but still the same basic concept. Every time something bad happens to someone, there's an outcry if that incident could have been avoided. Doesn't mean anything ever changes.

I see (and "hope") this game as just a passing fad, and not a vision of the future. If things get bad enough out there, enough people will complain and something may eventually get done. Just know that for every such victory of suppression, many more victories will follow, often without just cause. For now I think best dealt with on an individual level, such as with RonB. We'll see what the future holds. ...Also, keep in mind what I said - that my "entire" knowledge base of this so-called game is what I have read here in this thread.

Rant complete. Its About Time - Copy.gif

EDIT - Also keep in mind I wrote this once getting to Post #18. Still more to read! PTHPTHPTHPTHPTHPTH (small).jpg

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking the game players are happy to get outside & still be able to play their game. They now have an added a level of "adventure" to it. Who doesn't like adventure? We certainly do.
The missing equation in this is they are so use to no "physical" consequences ever occuring while playing their game, no matter the out come, (except maybe eye strain, carpal tunnel, & weight gain) they play on like they are safely parked on the living room sofa, paying little attention to their surroundings....which can kill them.
We'll see how long it takes them to adjust from virtural to "real". In the real world the consquences can reach out and bite you and often do!

We on the other hand have to be aware of our surroundings at all times.
Maybe the game company should have incorporated an early warning system into the game, for those who forget to "look up" once in a while.

I don't think pokemon is going away anytime soon. Guess we"ll just have to adjust to those who can't.
Drive defensively, you never know when you will be "attacked" by pokemon players....hope they don't fall out of the sky...thats not a level i'm used to.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't wait until the whole mobile phone fad dies and people text through the USPS again. The good old days, when the only application was putting stamps on a package. When the phone was actually used to speak with someone in real time. When the only entertainment on a phone was prank calls for kids and sexy 900 numbers for adults.

How can this be called progress....

:coffee2::angry3:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree Deft, but don't think that will ever happen again - unless there is some sort of massive global EMP that puts everyone pack in the dark ages. Life was much simpler then. People actually spoke to each other; vs. texting, email, chat, voicemail, and I'm sure a few more I don't even know about.

We get books at our local library - 25¢ for softcover and 50¢for hardcover, regardless of book title, size, or condition. We've got quite a nice library now! :icon_biggrin:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; kcm I agree with you that this is NOT going away any time soon. BUT in my kids case she "WILL" obey the basic House Rules or pay the Price. I think this will not change until EVERY parent takes this matter into their own hands. OR if enough people get badly hurt or killed. It's a sad commentary on Our Societies Views today for sure. My kid does NOT belong walking around a mostly deserted Island, 19 miles from home at 2:45am. PERIOD. I'll "DESTROY" Anyone or Anything that effects my kid in a bad way. That took the cake for me. I'm still bristling over it. We had "The" Talk. She apologized and made no excuses for her actions. I gave her her phone back. There MUST be a level of Trust as well. Happens again I'll DESTROY that phone ON THE SPOT PERIOD and she "knows" I will too. That will end the story for sure. She is "MY" kid, NOT Pokemons. !!! :angry4: She WILL live by my Rules. NO Exceptions. I may be strict but she "KNOWS" I love her.

To Msbeepbeep, believe it or not they actually DO have a Warning at the beginning telling people to remain aware of their surroundings. It's being ignored.!! Anyways, Stay tuned Folks. This is going to get bumpy. !!! :violent1: :dontknow: PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Last edited:

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; kcm I agree with you that this is NOT going away any time soon. BUT in my kids case she "WILL" obey the basic House Rules or pay the Price. I think this will not change until EVERY parent takes this matter into their own hands. OR if enough people get badly hurt or killed. It's a sad commentary on Our Societies Views today for sure. My kid does NOT belong walking around a mostly deserted Island, 19 miles from home at 2:45am. PERIOD. I'll "DESTROY" Anyone or Anything that effects my kid in a bad way. That took the cake for me. I'm still bristling over it. We had "The" Talk. She apologized and made no excuses for her actions. I gave her her phone back. There MUST be a level of Trust as well. Happens again I'll DESTROY that phone ON THE SPOT PERIOD and she "knows" I will too. That will end the story for sure. She is "MY" kid, NOT Pokemons. !!! :angry4: She WILL live by my Rules. NO Exceptions. I may be strict but she "KNOWS" I love her.

To Msbeepbeep, believe it or not they actually DO have a Warning at the beginning telling people to remain aware of their surroundings. It's being ignored.!! Anyways, Stay tuned Folks. This is going to get bumpy. !!! :violent1: :dontknow: PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Sorry to say but it's not the games fault. Any game could have led her to the actions she did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread