A funny thing happened at the park... the teenagers realized THEIR hobby is worse...

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed so many people out playing Pokemon. Kinda crazy. Makes us not look so bonkers :)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's all over the news. they are walking out in front of Cars & getting hit, Even Driving & Playing. Trespassing ? do that in the wrong yard :(
This is the first time I am for Banning something.

I think the ability to play games while Walking should be banned at the Production Level, Or
Lawsuits should start , make it financially unsound to create them.
and drive them to voluntarily end it . they won't end it to save lives,
they don't care if yo get arrested or shot. it's all about the $$$$

on the subject of Kids at parks while detecting, I will never forget the last time My nephew & I were at a park filled with kids. The local school was on strike & the kids had off.
Most were back in the corner of the park at tables having something.

But there were 5 or so hanging out near us, B.s.ing circa 16 year olds

They saw we were excited about a certain find and walked over & asked what we were finding.
My nephew found a Token & showed it to them. They then went over to a Basketball Court.
& all of a sudden the one Girl said something to me from the court. I couldn't hear her over my Headphones but gave her a Smile & shrug pulled off my one headphone ear piece , they just stared, & went back to hunting.
after a few more minutes they came over and asked me if I cash my Finds in, I said no I keep them.
She asked if we were together, I said yea that's my Nephew.

They walked over to him.
Later I found out they Researched his Token online & went over to give him the Info :thumbsup:

some Kids just deserve respect :laughing7:

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
it's all over the news. they are walking out in front of Cars & getting hit, Even Driving & Playing. Trespassing ? do that in the wrong yard :(
This is the first time I am for Banning something.

I think the ability to play games while Walking should be banned at the Production Level, Or
Lawsuits should start , make it financially unsound to create them.
and drive them to voluntarily end it . they won't end it to save lives,
they don't care if yo get arrested or shot. it's all about the $$$$

on the subject of Kids at parks while detecting, I will never forget the last time My nephew & I were at a park filled with kids. The local school was on strike & the kids had off.
Most were back in the corner of the park at tables having something.

But there were 5 or so hanging out near us, B.s.ing circa 16 year olds

They saw we were excited about a certain find and walked over & asked what we were finding.
My nephew found a Token & showed it to them. They then went over to a Basketball Court.
& all of a sudden the one Girl said something to me from the court. I couldn't hear her over my Headphones but gave her a Smile & shrug pulled off my one headphone ear piece , they just stared, & went back to hunting.
after a few more minutes they came over and asked me if I cash my Finds in, I said no I keep them.
She asked if we were together, I said yea that's my Nephew.

They walked over to him.
Later I found out they Researched his Token online & went over to give him the Info :thumbsup:

some Kids just deserve respect :laughing7:

... maybe just a way to filter the gene pool.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's actually adults playing it too. GPS is a huge battery and data hog...watch your phone bills people!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Call me crazy, but I would rather dig REAL coins, jewelry and relics than "pluck" them from a fictitious virtual world! :dontknow:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw 4 30+yr. old people malking around a park last week giggling, staring at phones while walking around seemingly aimlessly, glancing up once in awhile. This was before I saw it on the news. I was thinking at the time, must be some stupid app.

Then I see adults playing it on the news a few days later, I was thinking at the time, there are some stupid adults.

Such an idiotic looking game.

Maybe I should walk around with a dumb flip phone in front of me, swinging side to side, playing virtual detecting. How dumb would that look? Maybe every few minutes bend down, pop up, and exclaim, "Whoo hooo, I'm a f:censored:ing idiot!"

Maybe I need to finish one cup of coffee before posting my gripes in the AM.

Last edited:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A post on FB started by my friend (lives down the road from me), "If you are gonna walk around on the road in a herd looking for Pokemon, please pay attention to your surroundings. I drive a big truck for work and my personal truck isn't small either."

The 5 that walked across the road in front of me, had their eyes glued to their screen...not a care in the world of their surroundings. They were heading towards the cemetery...made me think of another post on FB..."For those of you who have caught the Pokemon bug, we'd like to ask that you be careful if you are tracking these creatures in cemeteries. Please watch where you are walking and take care to not disrupt the people or things in that sacred location. Catching that Psyduck is great, stepping on graves, is not." That article was from Find A Grave...seems the Pokemonites are searching here... https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...o-visitors-please-stop-catching-pokemon-here/

I've noticed strange vehicles driving by on my dead end road...I sure hope they're not stupid enough to get out & cross my fence to search for Pokemon...posted signs are up, but Mad Momma (cow) & the rest of the herd don't stand for strangers in their territory.

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I can't understand is how people can't play this game more safely. I tried out the game and I mean it's alright in terms of the virtual aspect is a different game mechanic. However, I still prefer the old versions. I know, I'm a nerd, but then again I real life treasure hunt. And however much you argue it's cooler, the hobby is still a bit nerdy ex. Coin collecting. But the point being is I don't understand how people think they can trespass or allow themselves to get hurt. The game opens with "beware of your surroundings". It also has a feature where you put it in your pocket and it will beep at you when you need to play. It gives plenty of time to pull over, stop walking, and get the item AND you don't even have to be close so why trespass? Sorry just my thoughts in the form of a rant. I mean I see the purpose of the game and to get the 2/3 of the population who otherwise would be sitting inside but why do it harmfully? I guess as with everything we need common sense and unfortunately a video game might get people outside but it sure cannot fix commonsense

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
What I can't understand is how people can't play this game more safely. I tried out the game and I mean it's alright in terms of the virtual aspect is a different game mechanic. However, I still prefer the old versions. I know, I'm a nerd, but then again I real life treasure hunt. And however much you argue it's cooler, the hobby is still a bit nerdy ex. Coin collecting. But the point being is I don't understand how people think they can trespass or allow themselves to get hurt. The game opens with "beware of your surroundings". It also has a feature where you put it in your pocket and it will beep at you when you need to play. It gives plenty of time to pull over, stop walking, and get the item AND you don't even have to be close so why trespass? Sorry just my thoughts in the form of a rant. I mean I see the purpose of the game and to get the 2/3 of the population who otherwise would be sitting inside but why do it harmfully? I guess as with everything we need common sense and unfortunately a video game might get people outside but it sure cannot fix commonsense

Nerdy or otherwise, we actually have tangible items, many holding real value, for our game. Furthermore, we can contribute to our own, and the worlds actual knowledge base. There is more than just entertainment value produced with our wasted time, which can't be said of Pokemon goofs, now can it? 8-)

Last edited:

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nerdy or otherwise, we actually have tangible items, many holding real value, for our game. Furthermore, we can contribute to our own, and the worlds actual knowledge base. There is more than just entertainment value produced with our wasted time, which can't be said of Pokemon goofs, now can it? 8-)

Oh don't get me wrong. I much prefer the ENTIRE treasure hunting hobby to Pokemon. And I would much rather accumulate clad to split between donating to museums and splurging on gold or accessories, finding gold/silver, learning history, etc. I'm just saying, yes it's not the greatest game but it does have some benefits like getting people outside. However I also think some of the ways people are going about doing it aren't exactly the best ways.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 24 yo son and 26 yo daughter arrived to the house at 9h20 yesterday. They have their own apartment but were making a pit stop for drinks and cookies during ther hunt. Son even captured a Pokemon in the living room, he was flippin. God i'm happy i'm not the craziest in the family now. Like Skippy said, time to go to the parks, we'll be invisible, lol.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard something like the revenue is 2 million A DAY coming in.

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
I heard something like the revenue is 2 million A DAY coming in.
Absolutely, have you seen the stock price of Nintendo? It shot up 70% in 30 days! NTDOY : Summary for NINTENDO CO LTD ADR - Yahoo Finance Evidently this is the most successful mobile game app ever....

I gave my daughter specific instructions on how she could play. I did see a kid riding his bike down the street with his smart phone out and not watching where he was riding... I installed it just to see what the fuss was about. I guess I caught one Pokemon and lost interest.

On the plus side, its nice that kids are walking the neighborhood instead of sitting on the couch playing video games. Kindof the same reason we only buy my daughter Kinect games, e.g. if she is going to play, she has to get physical exercise.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Last edited:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Even the criminal is attempting to cash in on the fad!

:unhappysmiley:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I can't post what I'm thinking right now about PokemonGo. My kid is now "GROUNDED" because of her actions playing this dang game. I took her phone and put it in my Safe and LOCKED it.!!! I'm Incensed over it. Last night my kid came home at 2:45AM. I was wide awake waiting. She said she HAD to go to Deer Island to collect a Pokemon Nest that was there. That's a 19 MILE trip from home at 2:45AM Folks.!!! Ill be danged but my kid will NOT Disrespect me like that again. I"M HER DAD, NOT POKEMON.!!! She WILL live by my basic House Rules or pay the Price. I don't care if she plays a game but she WILL do it in a normal Rational Manner PERIOD.!!! I'm ripping. I'm mad as hell but I don't know who to go after yet. God help them if I figure that out. !!! Maybe it's time now for us Parents to put a cold stop to this madness. What say ye Folks ??? I await. PEACE:RONB :angry4: :help:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I say respectfully, calm down, be rational...don't be rash. I don't know her age, but I think most kids do dumb things, I know I did.

What's important here is her safety, followed by respect for your laws of the house. One deserves frank discussion, the other punishment... imo.

I wish you both well. :award_star_gold_1:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
sitting at a stop sign, person in crosswalk, waiting on pedestrian
to cross she is looking at phone for pokemon, my muffler is a little
loud, she didnt hear it or see the car, she walked into my bumper
looked up totally stunned
waiting,waiting, whew she kept walking
thought for sure she was going to say you hit me