Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok I have six acres mostly planted in grain.
Along one long side there is a fence with the usual everything growing up through it and getting wider.
I have wondered about getting a goat to eat the crap. I hate using chemicals.
I hear they eat anything. Could I buy one, chain it to sections of the fence and kill the plantlife?
What kind of goat would I want? What care do they take?

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are places that rent them out for just the purpose you described. Here in N.Y. there are several places, but unsure how wide spread this is. If you know any local farmers who have goats, see about putting them in your pasture for a week or two. Good luck.

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the whole thing isn't fenced
the rental places I saw online require a herder too
I can buy one cheaper and let it go when I am done

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Goats may eat quite a variety ,I'd not say anything.
They ,like most critters should be eased into a diet change,and in a goats case some hay or grain after being brought in ,sheltered for the night unless securely fenced.
Adding a durable hurdle/ portable fence along the one you want browsed would be better,in my opinion, than chaining a goat.
A stake for a tether needs to be secure...and a swivel to keep goat from wrapping chain around stake.
Clipping chain to fence...if goat jumps or climbs over fence it risks getting hung by neck,( don't ask.) And I lost one that got a stick in its collar and managed to create a Spanish windlass with it = dead goat.
Goats are mostly durable , but shade and water and a place to shelter,even if used rarely ,goes far in contentment.
Escape artists ply their trade more when not content.

Two goats are better than one,company and competition.
Do not, get a billy goat. Unless you like the smell of hot cheap tarps ,but ten times worse.
And other things/reasons worth being spared.

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff... I am a goatolgist and glad you asked. And lucky for you I am the only licensed goatolgist also in this country. That's how I made my living for 50 years. I raise goats from test tubes, cloning and actually breeding them (not myself personally). I raise goats to stay within a 10' to 100' ft. area and not go outside it (+/- 3ft.) These goats training / breeding cover every 10' up to 100'. The 10' goats start at $99.99 and the 100' goats (strict training involved) go for much more ($1500+).

FYI: Since your a T-Net member I'll work out a good deal for... just call my private number. I only have 1256 specially trained goats left and their going fast. Signed your best friend.... Brad

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want a paint colored goat ( always liked the paint horses best)

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want a paint colored goat ( always liked the paint horses best)

Ok... Not to be specific but are you wanting a horseolgist or a goatolgist? You have to make up your mind Jeff. Get a grip and think...? Hummmmm

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their hooves need to be trimmed, too. Just like a horse.

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't plan to have it long enough for grooming

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok... Not to be specific but are you wanting a horseolgist or a goatolgist? You have to make up your mind Jeff. Get a grip and think...? Hummmmm

but thinking is sooo hard!

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Machete and a heavy duty weed eater?

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah 30 years ago

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Between goats andd pigs one could clear anything but a forest.

Get a pygmy goat. Easier to maintain, can give good milk, eat it when you're done.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't plan to have it long enough for grooming

Ok... I'm bowing out now as a resource. As a leading Goatolgist I require all of our goats to be groomed daily. You are NOT worthy... and... well I can't say. You'll have to get a second rate goat person. Sorry... Me

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Contrary to popular belief, goats are actually picky eaters. While it's true a goat may eat weeds and other junk vegetation that no other animal would touch, let me ask one question......what would YOU eat if nothing else was available? I have a neighbor that bales weeds with sometimes 50% cattails for his cattle, then feeds that to them in the winter. They eat it rather than starve.

Also, grew up in Texas. Learned a bit about Longhorns and how they survive quite well on crap vegetation that most other animals cannot eat. Their system is a bit different - they actually "need" less than prime hay and forage. I suppose one could adapt but it would take time. Same with a goat. Change the diet too quickly and they'll get sick.

Jeff, why not mow the weeds?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had them living briefly in my front yard as a kid. All I remember is they left smaller piles of poop than the cow did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions