boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1469098056244-1117406676.jpg
It shatters easy when hit with a hammer and is not magnetic, I find it underground in my backyard in central MN.

OP
OP
B

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I put it over a flame, it caught on fire when it was in the flame but went out as soon as it was out of the flame, when I put it in water to cool it off it hissed.

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like coal to me.

thekspapa

Jul 11, 2016
Ne oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, mine lab 305, at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say, yes it's coal. If you home is older it could be left over from the old days when it was used for heating.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think it is Anthracite which is coal that has been heated and pressurized and is considered a metamorphic rock. It's the highest grade coal and usually above 90% carbon content so it has few impurities. The fact it went out quickly makes sense, it should give off a short blue flame that goes out quickly in a test like you did.

Only a very small percentage of coal is of high grade or ultra high grade anthracite and most coal has lower carbon content and more impurities, making this the most sought after type of coal because it burns cleanest and gives off the most energy when burned because it's almost pure carbon.

OP
OP
B

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is Anthracite which is coal that has been heated and pressurized and is considered a metamorphic rock. It's the highest grade coal and usually above 90% carbon content so it has few impurities. The fact it went out quickly makes sense, it should give off a short blue flame that goes out quickly in a test like you did.

Only a very small percentage of coal is of high grade or ultra high grade anthracite and most coal has lower carbon content and more impurities, making this the most sought after type of coal because it burns cleanest and gives off the most energy when burned because it's almost pure carbon.
Cool, I had heard of that kind of coal but never seen it. Would that kind be in central MN?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, Yellowpages.com is showing 9 listings for coal/coke suppliers in Duluth. I don't think Anthracite is native to the area, but it is native in Wisconsin.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool, I had heard of that kind of coal but never seen it. Would that kind be in central MN?

Maybe:) I don't know the geology there very well but try looking up the county in Mindat to see what minerals have been found in that area. Here's a link to the Minnesota page, the counties are listed at the bottom. http://www.mindat.org/loc-16817.html

OP
OP
B

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine thinks its kimberlite.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like coal.

It was mined around my area, coal that is. My area apparently had high grade coal in certain seams. There is also a type found here and England that was popular for use in Victorian era jewelry that takes a nice polish to a jet black lustre. I found an earing once that has this coal type set in sterling. I guess it was popular to wear in mourning. I don't recall the details of the research though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread