Should I buy this detector?!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... I thought it might be good to take to the beaches where detecting is off limits!....

Seeing as how your avatar shows you are from SF bay area, are the beaches you are referring to, by chance the fed. beaches of the GGNRA ? If so, there was a funny story , years ago, where a fellow up there simply didn't know any better. He had mail-ordered a detector, and .... simply went to the nearest beach. He got better and better, to the point where he'd racked up thousands of coins. And was getting gold rings too. He simply couldn't understand why the "locals aren't all over this". Because by then he had begun to perceive there were other hobbyists around his area. Yet the volley-ball courts, towel line, etc... were riddled with easy gimmees.

Imagine his surprise, after more than a year of this, when another md'r told him "isn't that off-limits?". At first he thought they were mistaken. I mean, duh, what harm can you do to the beach ? And why would ANY beach be "off-limits". And also this person must be mistaken, since he'd gone there, un-bothered, scores of time for an entire year. If full view of life-gaurd towers, passing rangers, broad daylight, etc... Thus obviously this isn't the case, lest "someone would have said something by now".

But the more he looked into the minutia (cultural heritage, etc...) the more he began to see what they were saying. Thus at this point though, could you hardly blame him if he simply continued ? Since it was clear by then, that this was a non-issue ? Doh !

OP
OP
cache finder

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing as how your avatar shows you are from SF bay area, are the beaches you are referring to, by chance the fed. beaches of the GGNRA ? If so, there was a funny story , years ago, where a fellow up there simply didn't know any better. He had mail-ordered a detector, and .... simply went to the nearest beach. He got better and better, to the point where he'd racked up thousands of coins. And was getting gold rings too. He simply couldn't understand why the "locals aren't all over this". Because by then he had begun to perceive there were other hobbyists around his area. Yet the volley-ball courts, towel line, etc... were riddled with easy gimmees.

Imagine his surprise, after more than a year of this, when another md'r told him "isn't that off-limits?". At first he thought they were mistaken. I mean, duh, what harm can you do to the beach ? And why would ANY beach be "off-limits". And also this person must be mistaken, since he'd gone there, un-bothered, scores of time for an entire year. If full view of life-gaurd towers, passing rangers, broad daylight, etc... Thus obviously this isn't the case, lest "someone would have said something by now".

But the more he looked into the minutia (cultural heritage, etc...) the more he began to see what they were saying. Thus at this point though, could you hardly blame him if he simply continued ? Since it was clear by then, that this was a non-issue ? Doh !

Hey Tom, I am from the Bay Area and those are the beaches I was joking about lol....
Also you know me, I'm the one that broke my brand new 3030 falling in a ditch. Same handle here as the other forum

~Jason

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
So cool I've got to have one lol!

image.jpeg

OP
OP
cache finder

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are pretty cool. Much better than the detector I bought from the back of my comic book for $9.99. lol

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walmart had a clearance on them for $7 each. I can't imagine why other than they aren't catching on or people just don't know about them. They work great. I air tested one last night to 6" on a quarter. That's not bad for a toy. If it had discrimination it would be perfect. In any event, I went nuts and bought 7 for no good reason other than the price of them lol. Giving them out as birthday gifts etc.,

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to get one and modify it so it attaches to my foot like a new type of walking shoe. People won't bother me because I will only have it on one foot. Then I can just shuffle down the beach and clean-up!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Add a remote control,Go pro and a bucket loader so you can sit in your beach chair and detect from there.

OP
OP
cache finder

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought one on Amazon for $6.95 as an add on purchase.:icon_thumright:
Wow great price!

☠ Cipher;5098247 said:
Walmart had a clearance on them for $7 each. I can't imagine why other than they aren't catching on or people just don't know about them. They work great. I air tested one last night to 6" on a quarter. That's not bad for a toy. If it had discrimination it would be perfect. In any event, I went nuts and bought 7 for no good reason other than the price of them lol. Giving them out as birthday gifts etc.,
Awesome inexpensive and fun gift!

I'm going to get one and modify it so it attaches to my foot like a new type of walking shoe. People won't bother me because I will only have it on one foot. Then I can just shuffle down the beach and clean-up!
I was thinking of this too! My shoe laces just keep coming undone is the reason I keep bending down!

Add a remote control,Go pro and a bucket loader so you can sit in your beach chair and detect from there.
Best idea ever! haha

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi cache; This is too funny. A simple idea and it's taking off like hot cakes. Soon, everyone in the Nation will have one or more. Hey guys; I think cache has found a new way for us to get Our future Detectorists started in this hobby Nation wide. I'm ordering a few myself tomorrow. This is just plain Awesome.!! There ain't a cop in the Nation that will touch this one. Can you imagine the Headlines now : Toddler stopped from digging at local beach.!!! The media would have a field day. !!! :laughing7: My God, I just realized that We now have a way to beat the Pols at their own game.!!! I love it. I'm gonna pass these out like hot cakes ALL OVER THE CITY.!!! :laughing7: This is a RIOT.!! Thanks Cache. You've started a Grass Roots Movement. MatchBox will love you for it.!!!
Anybody got a simple link for this toy ?? Please Post it so We can get them FASTER. hahahahaha. God, I love this one. PEACE:RONB :notworthy: :laughing7:

OP
OP
cache finder

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi cache; This is too funny. A simple idea and it's taking off like hot cakes. Soon, everyone in the Nation will have one or more. Hey guys; I think cache has found a new way for us to get Our future Detectorists started in this hobby Nation wide. I'm ordering a few myself tomorrow. This is just plain Awesome.!! There ain't a cop in the Nation that will touch this one. Can you imagine the Headlines now : Toddler stopped from digging at local beach.!!! The media would have a field day. !!! :laughing7: My God, I just realized that We now have a way to beat the Pols at their own game.!!! I love it. I'm gonna pass these out like hot cakes ALL OVER THE CITY.!!! :laughing7: This is a RIOT.!! Thanks Cache. You've started a Grass Roots Movement. MatchBox will love you for it.!!!
Anybody got a simple link for this toy ?? Please Post it so We can get them FASTER. hahahahaha. God, I love this one. PEACE:RONB :notworthy: :laughing7:

LMAO Omg you have me cracking up! I agree, I would love to see the cops tell my son he cant play in the sand with his sand truck!!!

Heres a quick link from amazon, not sure if that is what you meant? http://amzn.to/2bJznv9

jjack9977

May 1, 2015
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex, Nokta Makro PulseDive, Whites Bullseye TRX, Teknetics Tek-Point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had the day off today. My little one got the idea to tow his around with a radio controlled truck. While not very effective in his hands, It was fun to watch. I see there is also a metal detecting car with built in R/C, but it's a bit pricier for my liking. $99 last I looked. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472676909.795020.jpg

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cache; Does anyone have a Link to the cheapest price for these trucks. I'm ordering them Monday. I'm gonna pass them out like Hot Cakes.!!! I love it. Great idea.!!! :laughing7: PEACE:RONB

jjack9977

May 1, 2015
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex, Nokta Makro PulseDive, Whites Bullseye TRX, Teknetics Tek-Point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're near a Walmart check clearance. That's where I bought 6 for $7 each. Seemed like they were trying to clear them out of the stores I visited. Other than that searching eBay with "lowest price and shipping" filter will almost always get you the best pricing on anything

OP
OP
cache finder

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cache; Does anyone have a Link to the cheapest price for these trucks. I'm ordering them Monday. I'm gonna pass them out like Hot Cakes.!!! I love it. Great idea.!!! :laughing7: PEACE:RONB
Target had them for about $7 too. But in my area they are out.

jjack9977

May 1, 2015
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a shame. Probably means they are going to stop making them. Most people, even in the metal detecting world don't know they exist or how well they work or they'd do much better I'm sure. Really it would be an amazing machine with discrimination and a shaft attachment. Even as it is it hits pretty deep for a toy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread