The dangers of detecting

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
When I first posted in this thread, I went with the assumption that permission was already obtaind... my fault for assuming. I don't want to make this a topic about permission... there are about 3 dozen already.

But... that being said... the number one thing on my list (if permission is not obtained) - ANGRY, SHOTGUN-WEILDING LANDOWNERS,

steve

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Buy a semi, fill it with food and water, a medical team, guns and ammo, a personal bodyguard, personal trainer, Global positions systems for all and don't forget your detector.

JUST KIDDING!

Take basic precautions and use common sense!!! Those two things will get you a long ways. If you don't feel safe, don't hunt that area. Simple enough.
Different people, in different areas, hunting different places will all have different needs and will have to take different precautions.

~Nash~

LuckyDragon

Apr 6, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
If the owner has posted a NO TRESPASSING SIGNS around.
oh yeah get a XLT or DFX to see what you detected
fill in your hole and replace the grass,
I detected in city parks and other places and filled in my hole and replace the grass dug up and thier like the idea not to mention pick up trash around you helps to.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
LuckyDragon said:
If the owner has posted a NO TRESPASSING SIGNS around.
oh yeah get a XLT or DFX to see what you detected
fill in your hole and replace the grass,
I detected in city parks and other places and filled in my hole and replace the grass dug up and thier like the idea not to mention pick up trash around you helps to.

I was going to write something but this covered it! Be careful if this is private property....you are or would be hunting without permission of the owner...which is trespassing! Just a thought, try to always get permission first if private! Agree with the detector choices good luck! :)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
humm a word to the wize---never ever go on other folks private land with out their ok---at the very least it could get you in trouble with the law ---at the worst you could get shot---either way its not worth the trouble---so get the ok or stay off their land---any legal land hop to it and keep aware of what going on around you----- of course I always write from the point of veiw that you are legally allowed to be there in any post I write----thats my 2 cents---Ivan

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost always Research a spot before detecting.
Usually don't Find much at Unresearched sites.

only precaution I take, it to make sure I have an
extra Recharged Battery. & Something to drink.

& in addition, IF I'm heading Into an area where there
isn't supposed to be anyone around.
I take My Cell phone in case I hurt Myself.

Not trying to Sound Brave, or Stupid here
just How I grew up I guess.

But I Don't Fear any Living Thing or person enough to prepair
for any Situations there.
(Maybe it's the Pennsylvania German "Near Amish" in me :) )

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using common sense is the best prevention.

I like to hunt alone so I do what Jeff said. Take a cell, some water, and I carry a compass if I'm going into the deep woods.

T

TreasureTales

What can I add? Well, I can't keep quiet -- ever -- so I'm going to chime in here, late as usual.

Besides having permission, I always want to make sure the neighbors aren't going to get ticked off at my being there in their territory. Even if we do everything by the book, there are still some people who are going to hassle us. So if/when anybody hassles me, I politely leave. I might go back if I have a good feeling about the potential there, but I'll go back when I figure people are still asleep -- very early in the morning.

Then I want to make sure I wear sturdy shoes with tough soles, in case I walk through broken glass or rusty metal -- which is often typical in out-of-the-way places.

I have gloves and usually carry an extra pair in my pack

I take a small backpack that holds my small stuff, and I usually take it off and hang it somewhere so that it doesn't confine my movements and so that I can see it when I move on. Putting green or brown packbacks on the ground is not a good idea! In fact, get a brightly colored backpack and you will have a better chance of finding it if you do put it on the ground. Wearing a red backpack will also make you easy to spot -- which can be good or bad, depending.

Besides the required water, wet wipes, first aid kit, gps & compass, I take a pocket knife, and some survival gear -- very lightweight but gives me a greater feeling of security. Never had to use the stuff for myself, but have used it for some strangers through the years. And don't forget the camera and the notepad and pen. You'll be surprised how often you'll want to jot down notes about the place or about what you found and how. A notebook is a very handy thing -- but useless without a pen or pencil. Don't forget extra batteries and a long-handle digging tool (which makes a good weapon). I don't carry a gun anymore, but used to when I was young and more attractive. Now I can scare off most people with my demeanor. :D It's known as having a certain attitude -- like "don't mess with me buddy because you'll be sorry." (I learned this attitude when attending a solo woman's hiking seminar that was offered at a national park many years ago.)

Most of all, be aware of your surroundings and look up and around frequently. I've had many "sneak attacks" by people and animals when I was concentrating on my digging instead of my surroundings -- fortunately they turned out to be friendly. It is frequently hard to pay attention to the digging and to the surroundings simultaneously, so I will often detect with one ear clear of the headphones.

As a woman who goes alone quite often, I have to say that most times everything goes without trouble. On rare occasions, somebody is watching me a little too closely or walks too close to me. In those situations, retreat is the smartest move, IMO. If I can't retreat fast enough, I will not take my eyes off the person and I keep my long-handle digging tool in my baseball bat grip.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread