If its dry season where you are, Dont Dig!

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
If it's dry season where you are, Don't Dig!

I've been reading posts from some of the newer enthusiasts to the hobby and am very concerned about where they are hunting and digging when they've stated the ground was bone dry. If it's at someones home, which some have stated, or a public place like a ballfield or park, like many have stated, then their plugs will become nothing but a big round dead spot that will get everyone that comes after them banned from these sites. I remember many moons ago digging my own lawn and 2 days later had a polka-dotted lawn. Anyone else concerned with this? It's not that they are doing this blatantly, it's they just don't know any better yet.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Re: If it's dry season where you are, Don't Dig!

You can stand on my deck on the back of my house and count 62 spots where I found "treasure" Not all of the spots I dug turned brown but a great many of them did when I dug back in April and the ground was dry! I also have found if you cut a plug and pull it completely loose you will have brown spots! At least there are only 5 brown spots on my front lawn. My wife isn't too angry with me about those. I put water and miracle grow on some of my spots and now I have a nice bright green patch of grass surrounding the yellow/brown areas. Not a good look! :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000

This is pretty much common sense and has been covered by many members in the past. Most that have read these posts knows not to dig a plug in the dry turf but it's always good to remind folks so they keep it in mind. HH

OP
OP
finderzzs

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used

Farmercal said:
This is pretty much common sense and has been covered by many members in the past. Most that have read these posts knows not to dig a plug in the dry turf but it's always good to remind folks so they keep it in mind. HH
Correct, that's why I stated to the newer members to the hobby. Can you imagine a person giving someone permission to dig only to wake up to a dead lawn the next day? And not everyone has common sense, sorry to say. If they did I wouldn't be reading all these posts saying my neighbor/friend or whoever gave me permission to hunt, then they say the ground was rock hard...

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

Ahh yes but you also assume that new MDers know the forum exists and also assume that they have read the posts on this and other forums. Not always the case.

And you know what happens when you assume. . . ;D ;D

And sometimes the excitement overrules the thinking part of your body!!!

OP
OP
finderzzs

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used

mastereagle22 said:
Ahh yes but you also assume that new MDers know the forum exists and also assume that they have read the posts on this and other forums. Not always the case.

And you know what happens when you assume. . . ;D ;D

And sometimes the excitement overrules the thinking part of your body!!!
I was just replying to Farmercal's assumptions, that it was common sense and covered by many members in the past, well newbies would NOT have read these.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

I agree I was just trying to have a little fun...

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)

Hot, dry times are a problem (which is when I do more beach detecting). 8) I've hunted one special place under these conditions, and after an hour I actually brought some water around to help the 'plug' survive. It is work, but as I said, the place was special and I wanted to return.

OP
OP
finderzzs

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used

swingman said:
Hot, dry times are a problem (which is when I do more beach detecting). 8) I've hunted one special place under these conditions, and after an hour I actually brought some water around to help the 'plug' survive. It is work, but as I said, the place was special and I wanted to return.
I hear ya, ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but, when it's wet a buried target will give off a stronger signal. Go back to that place after a drenching and see how much more you''l find.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2

When it gets that dry and the ground is hard I stick to the woods and farm areas. The ground in the woods usually stays softer and you dont have to be so neat. Just fill in the hole and scrub over the surface. Finds may be fewer but usually older and you are right, you don't spoil the opportunities you will have later in parks and yards by leaving them with brown spot or circles now days after you leave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread