Anyone ever look at very early photographs just to see what metal items they had?

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When ever I see a picture from the late 1800s I am always looking to see what they had made of metal. OHH its the wedding party from 1880, and everyone is just about wearing rings!! Am I sick or do other people do the same. Early farm equipment pictures are use full also.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like looking at background stuff in photos. I just thought I was weird. glad I'm not alone...:laughing7:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love old, like super old postcards...seen some, they would take a picture of their house, then that pic would be made into a custom postcard. I had one, from an old house, like a mansion in MA, wanted to track it down, trade it it to the owner for a permission.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another thing...off topic, but you'll get it...
I watch episodes of COPS, and I find myself looking at the yards in the background, wonder....has it been hunted?

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing...off topic, but you'll get it...
I watch episodes of COPS, and I find myself looking at the yards in the background, wonder....has it been hunted?

Off topic also but If I was a police officer/ privy digger and show up at a 1830s house I would also be looking for sink holes along with the contra ban.

Trapper340

Aug 21, 2016
Lebanon missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started trapping I would look and land and think what is out there , now I look at yards and think what's in the ground.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started trapping I would look and land and think what is out there , now I look at yards and think what's in the ground.

Its still out there man don't give up.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes I do that too.

I also look at the backgrounds watching movies. 8-)

Ima digger

Apr 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yea, and who is wearing shoes, and what kind. And the way their hair is styled, and what kind of buttons on their clothes, and what kind of house is in the background and Yea I just pick it apart. I guess i'm thinking what kind of lives they had. I'm a history nut, can u tell??? And the MDing just makes it more fun. Ima

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, and who is wearing shoes, and what kind. And the way their hair is styled, and what kind of buttons on their clothes, and what kind of house is in the background and Yea I just pick it apart. I guess i'm thinking what kind of lives they had. I'm a history nut, can u tell??? And the MDing just makes it more fun. Ima

Yes some people don't get it. I was with a friend and we were at The Field Museum in Chicago. Now I was there as a kid in the 1980s and wow it changed. When did it basically become a childrens museum, I was questioning?? ???? (Not that I don't love children) I only remember one gift shop not 6. I just remember being more like you would think a museum should be, like the way I remember it. Anyway Dearborn Michigan's Greenfield Village has the best interesting American History open to the public in the U.S. If anyone can think of another place open to the public, please fill me in.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely! I like the old black n white pics of trains, farm machinery, iron bridges...and thinking how they built that s##t with their hands!! Yes, I believe all involved here share the same sickness...ddf

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had someone call me sick because I spent too much time looking at " peoples waist line".. There is some pervert here staring at all 1860s civil war pictures for the past hour..

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're not sick at all. . . I find myself looking at old photos & catalogs whenever I can. If you really want some good bed-time reading, get a replica copy of the 1908 Sears Catalog. . . I'll wager you'll see a lot of stuff that you've found.

1908 Sears Cat.jpg

1908 Sears Guns.jpg

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Note to self: never use the word sick in a post describing a situation, people will take it literary.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You're not sick at all. . . I find myself looking at old photos & catalogs whenever I can. If you really want some good bed-time reading, get a replica copy of the 1908 Sears Catalog. . . I'll wager you'll see a lot of stuff that you've found.

View attachment 1351986

View attachment 1351987

I'll wager that not to many of those catalogs made it past the outhouse.
laughing021.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread