Drive-by fencing??

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
My Dad and I were metal detecting when these two guys pulled up in a 1999 or 2000 Mustang. He was in the middle of the road blocking any potential traffic. The guy got out and said, "Hey I found this in the road I think it's gold, what do you think its worth?"

At that point he produced a men's large Masonic ring that was not damaged at all. He handed me the ring and I looked at it. It it had a blue stone, it felt light for it's size, the color was like a goldish white, it had initials on it, and had "STER" on it. I was studying the guy more than the ring. He and his buddy were unshaven, and disheveled. He was also missing a few front teeth. I also observed the way he carried himself. He had a "I dont give an F" attitude.

I looked at the ring and said, "it might be silver. A pawn shop may give you $20 bucks for it(I threw out this number to see how he would react). His mediated reaction was, "I'm going to Florida!" At this point his buddy in the car was like, "come on man. let's go." At this point , I knew the sales pitch was coming. I looked at my father, and as wise as a man he is, he was falling for this con.

He said, "You want it?"
I said "No thanks."
My father then says "How much?"
The guy said, "$30 dollars and it's yours."
My father looked at me like I was going to go into my wallet. "No Thanks."
His buddy is now yelling, "Come on!"
The guy said, "$20 dollars."
I said, "Hey, you should return it and you should get a big reward. Put it in the paper."
At this point, he knew we weren't biting so he got to his car and drove off.

My father said, "If I had the money, I would of got the ring."
I said, "You don't know where that ring came from. Maybe it was stolen, who knows."

Later, my father realized what a mistake he could of made. This story scares me. Not because of what happened, but because this was the first time I ever showed better judgment than my Dad in 47 years. The best i could ever hope for, was to match his judgement, never surpass it. That can only mean that his rational is slipping. I hope im wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread