perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

One type of item that I found all over this Spanish colonial site in Colombia is (what I call) metal "blobs". The ring up on my AT PRo in the high 60s (and sometimes into the 70s) and they are heavy for their size. At first, I figured they were lead, perhaps to make bullets back in the day, but now I suspect that they are copper "blobs". See the photo below. Seems there was a copper mine nearby long ago when the settlement was around. I probably have 20-30 of these copper blobs and I know there is more at the site.

Question- If these turn out to be copper, is there any use for them at all? Scrap copper doesn't seem to go for much nowadays.

Attachments

• blobs.jpg
    blobs.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If you shine them up (not sure which acid would work best), they can sell on eBay. I have a friend that makes his own copper nuggets and he sells a few that way.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they were copper I would think they would have a green patina,Maybe they are other metals that were removed when purifying the copper?just my thoughts?

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, guys, for the feedback. Back of the Boat- yes, that is a very interesting hypothesis and would make sense since why would they leave copper ore laying around, right? On the other hand, I scrubbed down a couple of the samples and some green patina is now apparent as you can see in the photo below. Not sure what to think.

Attachments

• image1 (6).JPG
    image1 (6).JPG
    599.1 KB · Views: 64

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I can now see patina, also on the larger piece it actually looks like some copper shining through.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm having lots of trouble getting and staying connected to internet right now, but will try to provide a link to some of his nuggets.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a pic from another forum. It's copper, but not pure. Still has other metals in the copper.

copper nuggets.jpg

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way you may fetch a bit of coin for that copper (beyond scrap value) is if you are able to prove that an ancient civilization nearby used native copper for their tools or weapons.
If this was the case then you may find some sort of implement made out of that copper nearby and that would change the whole situation.
The Great Lakes here in N.A. are the mecca for the famous Copper culture and the source for almost all of the copper artifacts found attributed to the copper culture throughout North America.
I would research your area (Columbia?) to find out how common or scarce natural copper deposits are.
Maybe you found the only known source in a large area and can link that copper to an ancient people?
Who knows, you maybe onto something historically significant....
Or you at least have some nice pieces of natural copper. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread