Detector(s) used
Fisher Coinstrike Minelab Xterra 50 Minelab Quattro

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Yeah, you better hurry up. I would concentrate on the side walk and the area that people would have been exiting vehicles or buggies and the likes. Sometimes it's best to cherry pick and then go back for the iffy signals, if they scrape, hit that spot first.

You might want to hit it subversively, in the evenings when workers and lookie lews are at home.

HH

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
I sure would. The 2+ weeks I was down with my knee the city cleared two lots that had homes built in the 1900's or older. By the time I noticed it, they had already spread stone and oil for a parking lot. Bummer...and 1 block off the city square!

So, as Gypsy said...you're still sitting there? I believe I'd get a couple of smudge pots (really showing my age there) and get out and hunt tonight! ::)

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Go. They were paths long before they were sidewalks. There's stuff under the concrete and you can bet it's not hunted out.

Daryl

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best places to look for older coin.Get at it and good luck.Ant gives good advise too.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
to late I already beat you to it, no, great place to look, the sidewalks are better, and hit a foot past the sidewalk. should hit Cedar River some time. Thompy

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Old-town asphalt street tear outs are never as good as old-town sidewalk demolitions. Reason is, asphalt is engineered with a compacted decomposed granite base of fill. Asphalt has to carry more weight (cars and trucks) vs sidewalks which only carry pedestrian weight.

So odds are, when you see what you think is asphalt being torn out, it is often only just below the actual blacktop, but not below the fill-dirt, to the native dirt. It may look like regular dirt (depending on how your native soil looks vs the DG fill dirt look), but it's most likely sterile fill. Sidewalks however, were often-times laid, at least in the old days (prior to the 1920s?) right on the earth, or right on top of the wooden walks, with no preparation. Nowadays, they do a few inches of compatible soil or sand, but not in earlier walks.

OP
OP
M

MichiganJason

Apr 20, 2007
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher Coinstrike Minelab Xterra 50 Minelab Quattro
I went down there and had the worst interferance I have ever had with my detector.....I could hardly detect....I dont know what happened. I'll try again if I can.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I could be underground power-lines that are causing the problem. They could be overhead or a microwave transmitter may be on a nearby building, airports can cause that also.

I’ve hunted areas with interference like that and only concentrated on the best signals I could hear. Sometimes that produces, and sometimes it doesn’t. Those conditions are not comfortable to detect in but we have to do what we have to do. I’ve even gone back to a location at a different time and the interference was much less or had vanished.

My experience is in line with what Tom_in_CA has expressed.

HH

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
This Demo had no fill and produced my first Indian head penny, a vintage Marine lapel pin, the normal wheats and a couple silver dimes as mentionables.

Attachments

• SIdewalk Demo.JPG
    SIdewalk Demo.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 123
  • SIdewalk Demo.JPG
    SIdewalk Demo.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 114
  • SIdewalk Demo Hunt 2 Area.JPG
    SIdewalk Demo Hunt 2 Area.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 128

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
Go for it. Let usknow how it goes. If I remember correctly You are using a BH Lone Star, me too so let us know how it turns out. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread