Honestly, how you split this scenerio with the owner?

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
I know most of us are upstanding citizens, honest and such, but heres a question that I think about, and I know how I would do it, but how do the rest of you do it? "You get permission to hunt a property, and the owner wants a 50-50 split." At the end of the day, you total 2 Wheaties and a great looking Barber Half. Who gets what? Do you reveal the half? Now be honest, I hold no ill feelings regardless on your solution. BTW, this really happened to me awhile back.

MichiganJason

Apr 20, 2007
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher Coinstrike Minelab Xterra 50 Minelab Quattro
In all honesty, Id rather not hunt a place that I was required to split 50/50. I don't know how everyone else feels. Things could get complicated that way.

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd favor the land owner. I'd give them the half if they wanted it. Especially if I didn't have a written contract stating how valuable items would be split.

HH.

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd give it to the owner if he wanted it, but would have a camera available to take a picture of it or even with the owner so I have some documentation. I might ask them permission to scan it in my computer and then return it. I have better luck scanning small items rather that photograph it. Haven't had any luck using the micro setting on my digital.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I am not a collector per se I'd photograph it and give it to the owner if he wanted it. By not being a collector, the thrill of the find is the object of the hunt form me. I'd be much more inclined to think about keeping an artifact than a coin. Let me qualify my statement on not being a collector. I am an accumulator. I have a fair amount of junque and crape' I have dug up over the past three years. I have kept a little bit of silver coinage just to show when someone asks about the hobby but other than that it goes in a coffee can that I dig out and admire every once in a while. How's that for a complicated answer to an easy question? M ;) nty

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep the half....

And next time bring a few junk silver coins like mercuries in case the owner does want to do a split and just show the junk silver and not any good silver that you found.

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
This question comes up in various forms from time to time, but it always boils down to this: Do you honor your word?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would keep the half that I found and when I returned the next time (or the last time) I would have in my possession a comparable half dollar to give to the property owner. Things I have found are much more valuable to me than coins bought.

Regards,

Buckleboy

T

TreasureTales

First off, I wouldn't enter into any 50-50 split unless it was done with legal documentation and I felt the site was going to produce big quantities of goodies. But if I did make a verbal agreement in a moment of haste, I'd definitely show the property owner everything I'd dug up and let him/her have first choice. Maybe there was something else he wants, a relic of some type, that holds more interest for him. But always, always, always, honor one's promises. Usually, I offer the property owner the first choice anyhow, just as a way of saying thanks and because I figure they are curious as to what I found. I have NEVER had anybody take me up on the offer. They look, they handle the items, they comment...then they give it back and smile. Maybe there is a difference between how male detectorists and female detectorists are treated by property owners? I think there might be, because I know male friends who do this same thing and they say the property owner almost always accepts the offer and takes the best coin, jewelry, relic, etc. Maybe I look like I need the money!!!! ;D

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Ok guys. Remember there are newbies reading the posts and others lurking. We need to make sure we set the type of example for them that will keep our hobby in the best light possible. We have enough trouble with sites and owners as it is.

If you tell the owner you will split what you find 50/50. That's the deal. No discussion. If you find the 2 wheats and the silver half, thats the find that HAS to be split 50/50. Hide the coin from the land owner, take some junk silver, don't mention it!! Give me a break. What's happening to good old fashion decency where your word is your bond. What happened to "You are only as good as your word?" Are we going down a slippery slope here??

We have talked about the things we find not having much value. That's true here. The wheats and the half are not worth that much unless there is one of a rare date. So we are not really talking money here. We are talking about the find and the rarity of finding a silver half. We are talking about keeping the trophy of the hunt.

When you are finished hunting, go see the land owner and lay out what you found. Tell him it's going to be hard to split this stuff 50/50. Tell him that finding a silver half is very rare and you would really like to keep it. Tell him about how you hunt hard for these things and how long you've hunted since you found one. Compare it to a trophy deer or something he can relate to. I would bet he would say OK you can keep it. It's just a silver half-dollar to him and if he is like me, he has seen a few thousand in his life and used to spend them because that was all we had. If he has delusions of the coin being worth a lot of money, he may be reluctant to just give it away. If you have a cell phone with you, call a buddy who can jump on a computer and get the current value of the coin. Let the landowner talk to him of he wants. If not, say you will get the value and copy the information from your computer and come back to show him. Tell him coin grading services won't even grade dug coins. Make sure he has all your contact and ID information (You should give them that anyway when you hunt their property.) When he finds out that a coin in this condition is worth $12 when dug out of the ground. He will most likely have a different perspective. I'd be willing to bet he would take the $6 that's his half and let you keep the coin.

In his mind, I would bet the 50/50 split is more for things like a cache of old coins in a jar or can. Something his grandfather planted rather than use a bank (if they even had a bank back then) or some other treasure chest of rings and diamonds. Not a semi-modern silver coin.

Keep your word. Keep TN a place we showcase our honesty and integrity. If you keep the coin when you know you really should have made the attempt to work it out with the land owner, it won't be the same. It won't feel like the rest of the coins in you showcase.

Respectfully,

Daryl

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dfxdude said:
I'd give it to the owner if he wanted it, but would have a camera available to take a picture of it or even with the owner so I have some documentation. I might ask them permission to scan it in my computer and then return it. I have better luck scanning small items rather that photograph it. Haven't had any luck using the micro setting on my digital.

I'v thought of this Lately,
And this is Exactly what I Felt I would Do.
what dfxdude said

I have said Several Times I would Hide good
finds from the owner, But, when it comes down
to the Line, I think I need a good Swift Kick
for being to Eager to Brag to the Owner.

Plus IF I want to be welcome back,
and maybe Greese the Wheels
to get Referrals, it would help.

Of course I'm no Saint.
Change that Barber half to a
Pre Trade Dollar Silver Dollar,
20 Cent Piece, 18th Century Gold coin,
a Half Disme or other Obvously Super
Valuable find. I may stray from the Path ;) :P
Don't Know :(

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not sure if I would enter into a 50/50 arrangement to begin with. What I usually say is, "I'd be happy to share whatever I find with you." Which does not mean that I will give you whatever I dig up. If I find something that "belongs with the house", I offer it to the owner. For me, it's the thrill of the hunt, not having more stuff around the house to figure out what I need to do with. If I were to find something of value, I would show it to the owner and offer to split the value of whatever it was. If the owner was insistent on keeping it, I would photograph it for documentation, then bite my tongue and wish him well :D

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
BioProfessor said:
Ok guys. Remember there are newbies reading the posts and others lurking. We need to make sure we set the type of example for them that will keep our hobby in the best light possible. We have enough trouble with sites and owners as it is.

If you tell the owner you will split what you find 50/50. That's the deal. No discussion. If you find the 2 wheats and the silver half, thats the find that HAS to be split 50/50. Hide the coin from the land owner, take some junk silver, don't mention it!! Give me a break. What's happening to good old fashion decency where your word is your bond. What happened to "You are only as good as your word?" Are we going down a slippery slope here??

We have talked about the things we find not having much value. That's true here. The wheats and the half are not worth that much unless there is one of a rare date. So we are not really talking money here. We are talking about the find and the rarity of finding a silver half. We are talking about keeping the trophy of the hunt.

When you are finished hunting, go see the land owner and lay out what you found. Tell him it's going to be hard to split this stuff 50/50. Tell him that finding a silver half is very rare and you would really like to keep it. Tell him about how you hunt hard for these things and how long you've hunted since you found one. Compare it to a trophy deer or something he can relate to. I would bet he would say OK you can keep it. It's just a silver half-dollar to him and if he is like me, he has seen a few thousand in his life and used to spend them because that was all we had. If he has delusions of the coin being worth a lot of money, he may be reluctant to just give it away. If you have a cell phone with you, call a buddy who can jump on a computer and get the current value of the coin. Let the landowner talk to him of he wants. If not, say you will get the value and copy the information from your computer and come back to show him. Tell him coin grading services won't even grade dug coins. Make sure he has all your contact and ID information (You should give them that anyway when you hunt their property.) When he finds out that a coin in this condition is worth $12 when dug out of the ground. He will most likely have a different perspective. I'd be willing to bet he would take the $6 that's his half and let you keep the coin.

In his mind, I would bet the 50/50 split is more for things like a cache of old coins in a jar or can. Something his grandfather planted rather than use a bank (if they even had a bank back then) or some other treasure chest of rings and diamonds. Not a semi-modern silver coin.

Keep your word. Keep TN a place we showcase our honesty and integrity. If you keep the coin when you know you really should have made the attempt to work it out with the land owner, it won't be the same. It won't feel like the rest of the coins in you showcase.

Respectfully,

Daryl

I agree 100% with you. It's a shame to see folks that won't honor their word.

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
a "50/50" split will always cause problems!
The way that it is normally handled..
Sell the coin, split the money..
If one of the "50/50'ers" wants, he can "buy! From/The other's half and keep the coin!
BUT!
As has been mentioned, why a "50/50" split?
Only if there is a "know treasure" and it requires equal effort on both sides !
I spent $10,000 & a lot of effort, on a treasure recovery, should the land owner get 50% for doing nothing ?
What about the other "active partners" ?
Who contributed only labor !!!

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
I'm with you Daryl. Well said, our word is our bond. I am a newbie and been hunting since June 07. If you want the item that bad, offer the owner the cash value. I would think most property owners enter into a 50/50 because they do not know if anything of value is on their property. Just in case they would like to get half of something they normally wouldn't have ever had. Like insurance just in case. Let's stay on the high road.
HH

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I am always happy to leave as much as I can with a property owner, but I have my own guidelines. I am trying to fill two coin collections, one for each of my kids. Minus the 16D, 21 and 21D, both Mercury sets are filled, so Mercs go to the property owner. At the farm I am currently searching, I've given them at least a dozen Mercs already. I am able to do the same with Indian head pennies and Wheats, too, if they are in decent shape. If I find jewelry, I give them a chance to identify and keep it. There would have to be an extraordinary circumstance for me to offer a 50/50 split. They don't comprehend the effort and time, even if they might get the cost of buying a nice detector. I also try to search places controlled by decent people; that cuts down on the foolishness.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I have never cut a deal to return or share what I've found... I have offered to let them know what I've found... or decided after the fact to give them something... but I've never cut (or needed to cut) any deals.

It must suck digging something awesome up and then wonder how you will "split" it... dang.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
I have never cut a deal to return or share what I've found... I have offered to let them know what I've found... or decided after the fact to give them something... but I've never cut (or needed to cut) any deals.

same here.

They wanted to see But when offered they said "No you dug
em you keep em"

Except for one Friend. He let me search his yard.
When I handed him my finds to look at, He Carried them
in his house & threw them in his Change Jar :P

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
One time early last summer my partner and I drove almost 5 hours one way to detect a place we had never been... an extreamly historic area that should have held a wealth of indian encampment artifacts from historic treaty meetings involving the U.S. military, some Gov. officials, and tens of thousands of indians from several tribes. The land owners invited us in, offered us coffee, and generously stated that they wanted everything we found for display in their campground store. Typically there are still trade/indian beads and artifacts that can still be eyeballed in some areas there.

We kind-of acknowledged their request, said thank you, and left. We then looked around for one minute, and decided they could "get bent".

Departing that area plan B we found a farmer who agreed to allow us to hunt a historic area of great significance, said we could keep what we found, and said to keep our mouths shut if we found any dinasour bones. That was the only agreement we had. This was perfect - and we had a fantastic day of relic hunting.

We found no bones... but we kept everything we dug/found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions