fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
U S Navy, 1955/1958. I was a boatswain mate striker on board the USS Merrick AKA 97. The vessel was identified as an attack cargo ship. We were in the amphibious navy, the amphibs, the gator navy, ship to shore, we delivered the Marines and all their gear through the surf to the beach. My job was coxswain of of an LCM, (Landing Craft Mechanized) which was a boat 56 feet long, weighed 55 tons, and was powered by twin grey marine diesel engines.
A boatswains mate (pronounced Bosn) was the deck force that sailed the ship and manned the landing craft. A coxswain's (pronounced coxn) job was to drive the boat. Trust me, it's a heck of a rush to take a 55 ton boat through the surf, deliver the cargo, and then back off the beach. While in the Navy, there were some hen house times, but I remember the good times, and I'm proud of being a sailor, so chose my user name BosnMate, and my avatar is a picture of an LCM with the bow ramp down on the beach in Subic Bay, Philippine Islands, hence no surf in that picture, more like in a lake than an open ocean beach. I was in the still WWII Navy, although jet aircraft were coming on strong, and change was in the wind. There is still an Amphibious Navy, but not the same as the one I was in. Helicopters and hover craft are now what is used to take troops and cargo to the beach.

Here is a video that will show you what I've been talking about. This video was shot in Sesabo, Japan, so again there is a lack of surf adding excitement.

I spent some time on LCU's aboard the now decommissioned USS Nassau. I was on the 22ND MEU in 2000 to 2001. You guys brought ashore a lot of our vehicles and artillery pieces!! Without you guys we would never make it to shore!! Semper Fi!!

My username is I am a FORMER (Not ex) Marine and 0844 was my MOS. Field Artillery Fire Direction Controllman. We had towed M198 155MM canons.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First name, initial of last name and my location. Pretty boring.

jakester

Jan 24, 2017
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My name was chosen because I like to turkey hunt and like a jake turkey is a rookie gobler I am a rookie metal detector.

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is not very original, kind of a Mel Fisher rip off. I often wish I could change it but it does reflect my interests.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite author is Louis L'Amour. At one time I had a copy of every book he had published. In one of his books, I don't recall the title, one of the main characters was a person by the name of Tahts-a-dats-ago. The character was a somewhat rogue Apache brave whose main purpose in life appeared to be terrifying everyone else. The name supposedly means "Quick Killer."

My use, as a moniker, is simply a means of expressing appreciation for L'Amour's books. It does reflect, somewhat anyway, upon my tendency to be a loner and upon my love of nature.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine (Argentium) is based on the Latin word for Silver . I think the actual word would be argentum. I chose it because I'm crazy for silver , coins , spoons, all manner of domestic silver . I also dabble in Silversmithing and jewelry fabrication.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mine is obvious as well, I think danica patrick is the best driver in the world

Duckman Willcox

Sep 20, 2015
SouthTexas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500, XP Deus, Simplex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine comes from what a Duck does to get something to sustain life--- he is constantly probing the mud to find things so I became Duckman who uses "the bill" (My current detector) to hunt with.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My name was chosen because I like to turkey hunt and like a jake turkey is a rookie gobler I am a rookie metal detector.

A Jake Turkey - ya learn something everyday!

Love it Jakester, welcome to T-net :occasion14:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad was a watercolor artist and after he passed away in the mid 1990's, I started painting watercolors using many of the brushes & paints that were in his studio.
Many of the subjects I choose to paint are inspired from black & white photographs I made back in the day when "analog" film was the norm.

FullSizeRender.jpg

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Mark and I'm a Mopar guy. Since there are fewer of us than other brand car guys, in my area if you say Markmopar, pretty much everybody knows who you mean.

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
F4, tesoro vaquero, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is my truck a 1968 M715 KAISER KIMG0035.jpg
Its my other hobby.. Love building trucks... Just put a 12v Cummins in this thing.

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
F4, tesoro vaquero, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KIMG0028.jpg
Don't have many good pics just deleted most of pics in my phone as luck would have it.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like to travel. I grew up two blocks off old route 66. I am a wanderer , I have a lot of road dust on me. Thus ROADDUST 66

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The name applies to my other hobby. I wanted "fishon" but it was already taken. Just a saying that you would call out while fishing. I used to live in Alaska and when fishing for salmon in the rivers people would say fish on and you would know to reel in so they could fight the fish while they ran up or down stream.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions