Oroville dam out of control

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Been watching the accident unfold on TV Whole towns being evacuated downstream for miles. Earlier they were calling for an imminent failure of the spillway. But they opened all the flood gates and are letting out water as fast as they can. Many hundreds of Cubic feet per second of water is ripping out a huge erosion spot on the down stream side. The good news out of this is, I see a good detecting trip to that huge eroded area after this is over. For those who do not know Oroville dam is smack dab in gold country, and these flood waters are opening up a whole lot virgin ground, clear down to bedrock. When they built it they had to force the crews to drill per the blueprints, and not towards the gold they were finding. Stand by. Tonight will be a crucial night. Hope everyone gets out safely.

afmo

Jan 29, 2017
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mom an dad are evacuated. situation up here is very tense. Please anyone in the evacuation zone GET OUT

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
for the folks with fam or friends, and those in the situation
that have phone apps for vid here is live coverage

LIVE COVERAGE of Oroville Dam Spillway... Imminent Failure Likely!
LIVE STREAM via KRCR
LIVE COVERAGE of Oroville Dam Spillway... Imminent Failure Likely! - WDRB Weather Blog

Oroville Dam Spillway Imminent Failure Live Coverage
Erick M
16,962 watching
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcwB6XtfJtyWW4DXKoZVn5A

adding:
Butte County Sheriff and EMS, Oroville Police / Fire
http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/ctid/186

phone app
http://www.broadcastify.com/

Last edited:

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Why is it that stuff like this always happens at night when it makes it more difficult for everyone?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...Some knuckleheads out there will probably try to blame all this on dredging! :tongue3:

Yes, sounds like a bad situation. I haven't done a lot of research on the dam or spillway, but seems they were rather old. Guess they weren't getting the proper maintenance over the years.

However, a couple more things to think about is, much of the fresh water for the area comes from the reservoir, as well as much of the local electricity. If the spillway goes, will these go also?

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw on the news where the problem is easing up a bit. Sure hope they can fix the spillway.

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
yep it is easing a bit. until it rains again or the snow starts to melt. then they are s....ed. They cannot fix it before the snow melts and if it gets hot and melts fast, there done.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully they will get the hole in the spillway fixed, and by the way the Spanish word for Gold is Oro . That is why the town is called Oroville.

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
F4, tesoro vaquero, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in Yuba city a year ago. It is evacuated now. Glad I decided to go to safer ground. I drove thru Yuba city and Marysville this morning to go to work. It looked like a post apuacolyps movie... Crashed cars, abandend cars all over the highways. Gas stations riboned off Only saw 2 other cars going thru town other than cops and ambulances. Made my best time ever going thru town.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Heck, that ain't so bad! I could fill 'er up with my trusty #2 shovel and a wheelbarrow in no more than 64,000 days or so! :laughing7:

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't watched a thread of news in weeks.. but.

I saw a earlier post on this here on TNet.. The first thought was these people probably need to leave; the city and local govt somehow get "bird brains" when things like this happen.. i remember reading a quote on this in one of the local news stories. "Nothing to worry about". Then all of a sudden Evacuate!! Everyone tries to leave all at the same time and it's a mess.

If it were a storm it would be over soon and you can start getting on with life.. this deal is ongoing for who knows how long.

I hope they have some good security set up to stop the criminals that will definitely come out from under their rocks to take advantage of the bad situation.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunate situation ... California is more worried about spending money on it's social agendas than it does on maintaining its aging infrastructure and protecting its legal citizens ;that dam didn't just start failing a week ago.Hope all are safe ,then go find that gold.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell me that won't stir up more than sluicing or dredging, who they going to fine or jail for that.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately America has a reputation for throwing money at things that are new while neglecting to maintain its existing infrastructure. I suspect this sort of thing will become more and more frequent since so many of these dams were built in the 60's and 70's and foreign governments like China become less and less willing to lend money that can't be paid back.

Even Rome, and the Soviet Union found out that concrete doesn't last forever and endless military spending is only a path to self destruction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread