AT Pro 5x8" DD or Sniper for Trashy Sites

tlh2865

Jan 4, 2017
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been running across sites with my AT pro that should on paper be packed with plenty of goodies, but I can't hear through the iron with the standard 8.5x11" coi, unless it is a larger item like a large buckle. So I am looking to get another coil to help me pick the better and smaller targets out of the trash and iron, but I wanted some opinions first. So AT-Pro owners, what would you recommend?
Thanks in advance!

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig similar sites and use the 5x8" coil. It helps quite a bit, but you will just have to dig the iron out before you will find the stuff below. Neither the 5x8" or the sniper coil will be the magic you are hoping for. I have given up on the stock coil, except for searching fields and open woods near home sites, but when I start hearing lots of nails, I put on the smaller coil. Good luck!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig similar sites and use the 5x8" coil. It helps quite a bit, but you will just have to dig the iron out before you will find the stuff below. Neither the 5x8" or the sniper coil will be the magic you are hoping for. I have given up on the stock coil, except for searching fields and open woods near home sites, but when I start hearing lots of nails, I put on the smaller coil. Good luck!
Agreed!! You have to thin the iron to get at the stuff.

Besides, all iron is not bad. Some are great relics.
HH, RN

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the 5x8 does a good job. I can swing slow over a high signal mixed with grunts and sometimes pull out a coin.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My AT gold comes with the 5x8 as the standard coil and I bought the sniper, Love my sniper.If you think of how the signal goes into the ground the 5x8 is like a long blade from front to back whereas the sniper is a tiny centered pin pointer type of coil that sends signal straight down.I think the sniper is better but it is a specialty coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread