Mar 30, 2017
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
D-text sk 50
D-text coin
Multiple bounty hunters
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well where to start I've been hunting treasures with my parents for years everything from agets on superior to gold gold in the mountains to dinosaur poop in the valleys and we've always had two metal detectors on is the d-tex sk50 and a d-text coin hunter the sad thing is they never got used so In the last couple years I started using them now the first day I go out in 2017 they don't work!! Not one but both note they are in pristine condition always stored in a nice area batteries taken out after using and for storage
Have multiple coils doesn't change anything So for all of this I'm looking to see if anyone knows someone who knows someone that works on these machines I've called every one across the US and nothing would really like to see them working before my parents pass on me any information please contact me thanks

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
have you checked to see if the batteries are in rite I know it sounds stupid but I myself have put batteries in wrong in my X Terra and it will not turn on when you do

don't know anything about the two detectors you mentioned but with the X Terra it has four batteries AA's two of them the positive post go one way and the other two AA's go the opposite way just a thought

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I am not an expert, but I know the D-Tex is a very old machine. Or, in your case, they are old machines. Those are probably "beat frequency" that retailed for around $100 each. Bill Mahan was a famous treasure finder (just just hunter) - magazine publisher, and book author. He wrote an excellent book on Padre Island treasures - that's how long ago we're talking about.

However (you knew that was coming, right?) these were never considered the top-of-the-line in terms of performance when they were new. First it was White's, then Garrett - and please keep in mind KvonM's THM #6 and #7 included plans to roll your own. That's the age were talking about - the Golden Age in many respects, but one of them was not the technology that went into these detectors.

Keeping in mind free advice may be worth what you pay for it - it's time for you to consider upgrading into at least a late 20th - if not an actual 21st - century detector.

What is your time out in the field time worth?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I almost never agree with old Book, but he/she is right in this case! Get a nice Tesoro Mojave! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread