Truly Terrifying. Never going there again after dark.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I already posted this in the paranormal section of TreasureNet, always fun to check that area out, a lot of interesting people and stories there lol. I figured I would also post it here due realizing how inactive that section is. Sorry if this is breaking rules or annoying, feel free to delete it.

I finally got to check an old colonial road with a 1720's homestead next to it. I traced the deed, between 1890 and 1930 the place changed hands extremely often and included at least 2 deaths on the premise, after around 1940 it is extremely hard to trace though I found tons of 1960's stuff including a licence plate. I went there at 5 pm today with a friend, so many crappy signals, endless house parts. Nothing colonial to be found, just old 1930's trash including nearly 50 carbon battery rods littering the place. Here's the parts that freaks me out just to talk about it. After the sun starts to set, this place makes the most haunted cemetery in my state look like a cute charming child's playground during a birthday party I have been to the cemetery before, tons of history, very old and very cool. I did research and found out how extremely haunted it is said to be. Anyways, me and my friend were digging a hole when all of a sudden at once we start to feel like there are spirits us. The place begin to feel very odd and creepy, then at once it felt like many spirits were there all at once making a circle around us, watching us and coming closer. At the same time we both said together, "Holy crap lets get out of here now!". We ran down the road, at the same time we felt something press our necks softly making it hard to swallow (we noticed this almost at the exact moment together). We felt it chasing us down the road, pressing around our necks, it wanted to get us out of there. Terrified we ran to the pavement and into the parking spot, at this moment it all stops, what ever it was was gone. Never have I been more scared in my life. I never was into paranormal activity and I am by no means a ghost hunter, but I have to admit that this was completely insane. I noticed a for sale sign on the land by the town, on the other side of the road is a brand new 2000's plastic house community so I assume they are going to do the same on the other side when it is bought. Who ever ends up living there is going to probably want to move out after the first night. I have detected many colonial sites, many have a kind of peaceful feeling in the air, even after dark. This was something out of a horror movie. Also, did I forget to mention something very scary, which is extremely hard to explain. I found a live shotgun shell earlier in the hunt, pretty common to find them so it was nothing unusual. I put it deep in my pocket, under an old lamp, hoping it doesn't accidentally fire. The last signal I dug was a deep 60s signal (shotgun shell sound) where the scary stuff took place. I dug forever and suddenly the signal went away, it wasn't anywhere, not even when I removed everything from the bottom of the hole and gridded around it. I checked everywhere while the beginning of the haunting was starting to take place. I was panicking slightly, dying to find it so I can leave, feeling a lingering presence increasing in power at each second. Right as the true haunting began, when me and my friend felt like we were suddenly surrounded I got an insanely strong signal right 3 inches from the side of the hole, I don't remember checking there with my detector due to a small pine tree's bare twiggy branches being in the way. The live shotgun shell I found an hour before was staring back at me from the mud. It could have fallen out while I was checking, but I don't remember bending down at all, and especially not in the area.My friend claims to have seen shadows of people out of the corner of their eye during the haunting, I don't remember seeing anything though. They had the same exact experience as me other than that. They were equally terrified and said as we were in the parking lot, "Even if I knew that the next signal was a gold coin I would have still got the hell out of there." My friend claims that they feel like the ghost that chased us down the road was an 1890's lumberjack, though I can not verify that it was, I know for one thing that whoever it was was not very nice.

Also, The first time I went there to scout I heard loud rustling and loud growling noises, if there are bears there then it is probably not a good idea to go there after dark anyways, regardless of any spirits.

Anyone else have any other scary ghost stories to share that happened metal detecting?

Sorry for my bad fragmented writing, I am still very shook up, this happened only an hour ago. Any doubts I had about ghosts have been completely brushed away.

Also, we were completely sober :laughing7:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Scary stuff. Get some pictures next time you go.

Haunted House
Say, yes, I'll be here when the morning comes
I'll be right here and I ain't gonna run
I bought this house, now you know I'm boss
Ain't no haunt gonna run me off

Last edited:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ghost are absolutely real my wife and I visited her family in Middletown Ohio my wife and I were in the basement of their home which the house was built in 1889 by the way my wife was sitting on one of those ice chest that has wheels and a handle you can pull it around with and while she was sitting on the ice chest the handle started moving up and down and not easily up and down but pretty violently up and down like you I was a skeptic also until that happened,I think they were just letting us know they were there also another thing that happened is a water glass slid three feet across a eight foot wood table, pretty creepy when things like that happen.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't see anything, didn't feel direct contact on my neck, just a hard time swallowing, light pressure. I didn't hear any footsteps or talking, or rustling in the leaves other than from me and my partner. Not pitch black, late twilight though. In case anyone wondered.

May have been nerves, though we have both gone to old colonial places in the dark, wonderful memories of summer, 70 degrees and a nice clear night to metal detect.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creepy. There are definitely "others" out there, no doubt in my mind.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Me and a friend of mine along with his grandson a few years ago were camped out in the Highland Mountains at an area that was within 30-40 yards away from a tiny gated cemetery about the size of a 2 car garage. There was an 1800's headstone there with the name of "Shotgun Liz". As I was setting up my tent, I felt a hand grab my ass. I was ready to do my Chuck Norris spinning back fist on my buddy Ron, only to see him 50 feet away from me by his van. A huge thunderstorm ensued that night. Morning sun was coming up, I was awakened for a few minutes and heard something sliding on the tent floor. It was my battery operated mattress inflation pump. It slid about 4', flipped over and turned on.
Funny thing is, I used my hand pump to fill up the mattress. I duct tape the on/off button so it doesn't accidentally turn on and drain the batteries. I had to rip through the layers of tape to shut it off. I wouldn't have minded if she had done a little more than just grab my ass.

collins6542

Feb 12, 2017
Des Moines, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett AT Gold, SunRay X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
not necessarily a Metal detecting story but an interesting one.... before I got a job working for a local Police Department, I worked hospital security. I was doing my regular rounds, and one of the rounds was checking an abandoned nursing college next to the oldest part of the hospital. the abandoned nursing college was erected in the early 1900s and has an eerie past... anyhow... our tour was to go to the 4th floor of this building and sign a book at the nurses station.... well I was up there signing the book around 10 pm..... well sure enough... a door at the end of the hall slammed shut on me..... I knew I was the only one in the building so I called for backup... they arrive.... we walk down the hall and the door that slammed... I noticed the light was on inside of the room and the door was locked... we opened the door and the room was completely empty......... just creepy lol

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've spent thousands of hours metal detecting alone in the woods and never felt anything weird at any place, except one. The Ramtail Factory in Foster, RI. There's just something very wrong there. I always feel like someone's watching me whenever I'm there and it's very quiet all the time. Even in the summer, when there should be a lot of birds singing, it's dead quiet. Definitely a place to avoid, in my opinion...

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Me and a friend of mine along with his grandson a few years ago were camped out in the Highland Mountains at an area that was within 30-40 yards away from a tiny gated cemetery about the size of a 2 car garage. There was an 1800's headstone there with the name of "Shotgun Liz". As I was setting up my tent, I felt a hand grab my ass. I was ready to do my Chuck Norris spinning back fist on my buddy Ron, only to see him 50 feet away from me by his van. A huge thunderstorm ensued that night. Morning sun was coming up, I was awakened for a few minutes and heard something sliding on the tent floor. It was my battery operated mattress inflation pump. It slid about 4', flipped over and turned on.
Funny thing is, I used my hand pump to fill up the mattress. I duct tape the on/off button so it doesn't accidentally turn on and drain the batteries. I had to rip through the layers of tape to shut it off. I wouldn't have minded if she had done a little more than just grab my ass.

Shotgun Liz wanted a piece!! Man what a story that would be!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I've spent thousands of hours metal detecting alone in the woods and never felt anything weird at any place, except one. The Ramtail Factory in Foster, RI. There's just something very wrong there. I always feel like someone's watching me whenever I'm there and it's very quiet all the time. Even in the summer, when there should be a lot of birds singing, it's dead quiet. Definitely a place to avoid, in my opinion...

I read that it is certainly haunted. Very interesting read. Did you hear any bells there?
Ramtail Factory, Foster, Rhode Island (Haunted Place)

Mentioned on several different websites and there is a book about it. Don't go there after dark :laughing7:.
http://www.abc6.com/story/27422282/fosters-haunted-ramtail-factory
23330741.jpg

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/6185-hunted-old-mill-site-today.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
My friend wants to go again, and bring someone else. They also want to take photos, videos and EVPs. I must say I am a little scared, but willing to go.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
around a graveyard metal detecting -- many old graves are often not as deep as they should be or have become shallow due to the weather washing off the cover dirt -- the spirits of the dead there might not like having their "rest" disturbed ...hunt that spot at your own risk --know that sometimes "items" get linked with spirits --take the item found metal detecting home --bring the spirit with it into your home..ala the haunted collector

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
It isn't a graveyard, though there is a chance someone could be buried there. I put the stuff I found in the shed, all the way on the other side of the yard after I found it for that reason. House parts, an electric lamp, and carbon battery rods.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read that it is certainly haunted. Very interesting read. Did you hear any bells there?

I've never seen or heard anything strange, but I always went there in the afternoon and got out well before dark! No way would I go there after dark. Can't explain it, but it just doesn't feel normal there.

Hanton City ghost town is a joke compared to the Ramtail Factory. That place just gives me a feeling of sadness. Looks like all the people just up and left one day. No one seems to know why, but maybe it's because the land wasn't very good for farming. Very hilly and rocky terrain. Guess we'll never know exactly why everyone left that area...

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never seen or heard anything strange, but I always went there in the afternoon and got out well before dark! No way would I go there after dark. Can't explain it, but it just doesn't feel normal there.

Hanton City ghost town is a joke compared to the Ramtail Factory. That place just gives me a feeling of sadness. Looks like all the people just up and left one day. No one seems to know why, but maybe it's because the land wasn't very good for farming. Very hilly and rocky terrain. Guess we'll never know exactly why everyone left that area...

There's a similar ghost town up in my state somewhere, I have never been there though, too far away for me. I assume it would be very similar, only around for 40ish years, then everyone left suddenly. You could probably find some info on it somewhere online. I am very good at picking up feelings and energy from an area, happiness, sadness, gloom, upscaleness (not a word), neutralness and nothingness. I have never found anything at a place where I pick up nothingness, maybe one of two lone finds after a week of metal detecting there, and I prefer not to spend too much time at a place with a lot of sadness which starts to rub off on me a when I am there for a prolonged time. I also seem to somehow sense the age of a place too, the time period when most activity there took place. I had one place where I felt like there was a lot of very early 1700's activity, with feelings such as sadness and happiness among other feeling varying largely and dramatically throughout. One small area could feel very happy and peaceful, walk 100 feet and the place will feel rather sad and depressing. I found out later that in the very early 1700's there were tons of small camps of cabins rather densely packed together. It was the site where I found my 1723 Hibernia Halfpenny and first tombac button getting me hooked on finding colonial artifacts, I ended up pulling a nice modest amount of 1700-1750 artifacts from that site.
It is a very good gift to have in this hobby, being able to sense the past of a site, though sometimes I would prefer to not pick up on all the negative stuff that happened there. I haven't had any paranormal experiences while metal detecting though, except for what I mentioned in my original post, I think most spirits at these sites couldn't care less about me or are not lingering around where they used to live. Many places completely change after dark though, not sure why.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Having experienced some real terror in the realm, I completely believe coinman.

Things DO exist which we wish were not here with us. I'm hesitant to tell the story here, but probably already did post about it sometime here in the past.

Something came for me personally 5 times in this house I live in after my experience at age 8, and I'm not the first person here to experience it, just the last. I won't say this house is haunted. I will say this house is clean now. It began here for me when I was 8 years old. But I bought the farm from my grandmother in spite of this, and then the 5 times it came for me.

Whole lot of prayer for goodness, even to date. I'm not all that courageous in the face of loss of soul. Now I lay me down to sleep, every single night.

The last time it came, awakened me, and Now I lay me down to sleep repeatedly, and it "flowed over me touching me", and went out the window through the screen which popped with static electricity. That was pushing 20 years ago now. It hasn't come back for me since, and my faith has intensified through those experiences. How can I not believe now?

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, if I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

That's a wrap up.

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The mind is a powerful thing. If you think they are real they will be if not they won't. My brother is s HUGE conspiracy Area 51 UFO guy. He has tons of evidence etc, but I just don't believe it. Good for him if he enjoys the chase. (I really hope i don't ever see a ghost I might just piss my pants!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The mind is a powerful thing; and even more creative.. funny how the invisible and unknown drives fear the most.

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, yes, I too have had a ghost run-in while metal detecting. I posted about it here on treasurenet years ago under an old account but I can't find it. I don't necessarily believe in ghosts so who knows what it was... I was hunting the site of an old fairground (now just woods) and I was all alone. The sun was getting low and it was getting dark, but there was still a little bit of light left. Anyway, I was kneeling and digging a hole when suddenly I felt what at felt like a hand brush down my back (I'm getting chills typing this.) It felt exactly like a hand with pressure to it. I jumped up, my headphones went flying, and I was freaked out. I thought maybe a branch fell off of a tree and hit my back, but there was nothing there... just dirt and leaves. I thought, maybe a snake, mouse, something... but I didn't see anything... and it had distinct pressure and movement all the way down my back. Needless to say, I grabbed my stuff and quickly left for my car without even filling in the hole. I don't believe in ghosts and was thoroughly freaked out by it... but who knows what it was.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread