Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about bigger deus coil but honestly I've not heard to many good reviews.I wouldn't mind some more input from people experienced with this coil

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
From everything I've read, the 17" coil for the CTX may only get you an inch or two? The big advantage is covering more area but the disadvantages of more weight and maybe needing to run lower sensitivity may outweigh each other.

My two cents worth.

Jeff

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've used my CTX-17 three times for about 10 hours total.

For me it is "plug n play", I didn't have to make any adjustments.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Not a big fan of the 17 for the CTX, but Coiltek makes a great DD, it stays on my machine.

Deus, no idea really, I run into very few hunters in Europe and have only known a couple to use a Deus and it could not stand next to the CTX with a Coiltek. But I have seen idiots make race cars look slow, so I am sure it was an operator error.

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
I've used my CTX-17 three times for about 10 hours total.

For me it is "plug n play", I didn't have to make any adjustments.

May depend on your dirt.
Here in GA, we have a lot of red dirt / mineralized soil. Larger coils look at more area. I've always had trouble going up to larger coils on various detectors. Factory standard diameters or smaller seemed to work best for me.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That 17" coil is heavy and may require you to use a sling... if you go that route, you better have a good shoulder.

OP
OP
B

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From everything I've read, the 17" coil for the CTX may only get you an inch or two? The big advantage is covering more area but the disadvantages of more weight and maybe needing to run lower sensitivity may outweigh each other.

My two cents worth.

Jeff

I definitely don't want to swing all of that extra weight for one or two more inches!

Not a big fan of the 17 for the CTX, but Coiltek makes a great DD, it stays on my machine.

Deus, no idea really, I run into very few hunters in Europe and have only known a couple to use a Deus and it could not stand next to the CTX with a Coiltek. But I have seen idiots make race cars look slow, so I am sure it was an operator error.

Might have to give that one a go after I run the Deus with the 13 inch. Does the extra weight cause any issues?

May depend on your dirt.
Here in GA, we have a lot of red dirt / mineralized soil. Larger coils look at more area. I've always had trouble going up to larger coils on various detectors. Factory standard diameters or smaller seemed to work best for me.

The dirt in east central GA. I think I might try the 13 inch for the Deus since it isn't such a large jump in diameter.

That 17" coil is heavy and may require you to use a sling... if you go that route, you better have a good shoulder.

Yeah my shoulders aren't the best, age has not treated me well. I may have to go with the Deus 13 inch for now and get the Coiltek later if the weight isn't an issue with it.

OP
OP
B

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank everyone for the input. Now all I have to do is find a good 11x13 coil for my Deus at a reasonable price.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Smittyman has the 17" coil for his CTX, and I swear it feels like that set up weighs 20 Lbs.

I have used Deus only for over 3 years. I have NOT seen any of these coils (13x11) in the field. If they were "all that" somebody would have one. I used the 11" in the fields last week, with success. I saw other people digging 12" deep targets with the 11" coil.

Where I live it's all red mud for soil, very dense stuff. We often discuss depth of targets, and have come to the conclusion that we don't need more depth, we need better places to hunt. We often try to believe that the targets have sunk out of reach of the coil, but nothing will sink through that red mud, it is too dense. Most of our targets are 6" deep at best.

We are looking for the "thing" that improves out hunting... I have convinced myself that more depth isn't what I need around here. Just food for thought sir.

Good luck brother!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Smittyman has the 17" coil for his CTX, and I swear it feels like that set up weighs 20 Lbs.
Where I live it's all red mud for soil, very dense stuff. We often discuss depth of targets, and have come to the conclusion that we don't need more depth, we need better places to hunt. We often try to believe that the targets have sunk out of reach of the coil, but nothing will sink through that red mud, it is too dense. Most of our targets are 6" deep at best.
We are looking for the "thing" that improves out hunting... I have convinced myself that more depth isn't what I need around here. Just food for thought sir.
Good luck brother!

I agree Tom, like I've said here at my geography, sod goes 6" max and then we see red clay and rock. I've found many targets setting on that hard pack at the bottom of the sod, but none below. They don't sink into that crap.

Edit because there's more to say. I don't need the depth of a CTX here. It's just that I like the machine and the sounds it tells me.

However, my hunting buddy Indian Steve ALWAYS kicks my butt in finds, he swings a Tesoro - and swings it well :)

That's the key, know the machine. Maybe I have to process too much information per target, where as if this was a simple machine = beep & dig, maybe I'd be competitive with Steve :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have used Deus only for over 3 years. I have NOT seen any of these coils (13x11) in the field. If they were "all that" somebody would have one. I used the 11" in the fields last week, with success. I saw other people digging 12" deep targets with the 11" coil.

Good luck brother!

Great analysis! Thanks for the response, looks like I may spend more time looking for permissions and less time looking for a new coil.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Might have to give that one a go after I run the Deus with the 13 inch. Does the extra weight cause any issues?.

The extra weight; I would say no, but I have been lifting weights for almost 40 years now, I swing my GPZ7000 with the 19 inch coil like it is nothing as well and that machine has more weight.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Deus 11x13" coil actually came out a couple of years before the 11" coil. The general consensus among those who had used both was that the 11" was just as deep as the 11x13", but was less nose-heavy on the Deus which made it more comfortable to swing. I don't recall that the 11x13" was ever offered as a stock coil, it had to be bought separately and was expensive. The 11" was offered as a stock coil, which is probably why so many more have them.

I never used anything larger than the 9" coil on the Deus, although it's still pretty deep. I have used the 17" coil on the ctx, and while it does seem to go a little deeper on coin sized targets than the stock 11", it is a heavy one to swing.

Between the Deus with 11x13" coil and the CTX with the 17"........ not sure which would ultimately be the deeper machine, and it won't be easy finding someone who's used both for comparison. If you need an ID on the deep ones; and for some of us that's a big factor, I'd say go with the CTX with 17". If you just need to know that a deep target is present and that it's not iron, then it makes more sense to stick with the lighter, faster Deus with 11x13".

OP
OP
B

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deus 11x13" coil actually came out a couple of years before the 11" coil. The general consensus among those who had used both was that the 11" was just as deep as the 11x13", but was less nose-heavy on the Deus which made it more comfortable to swing. I don't recall that the 11x13" was ever offered as a stock coil, it had to be bought separately and was expensive. The 11" was offered as a stock coil, which is probably why so many more have them.

I never used anything larger than the 9" coil on the Deus, although it's still pretty deep. I have used the 17" coil on the ctx, and while it does seem to go a little deeper on coin sized targets than the stock 11", it is a heavy one to swing.

Between the Deus with 11x13" coil and the CTX with the 17"........ not sure which would ultimately be the deeper machine, and it won't be easy finding someone who's used both for comparison. If you need an ID on the deep ones; and for some of us that's a big factor, I'd say go with the CTX with 17". If you just need to know that a deep target is present and that it's not iron, then it makes more sense to stick with the lighter, faster Deus with 11x13".

Thanks I appreciate the great response.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread