Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To get this out of the way...I have no reason to want to try this other than just to try it. I realize a lot of people don't like cleaning their coin/token finds, and normally I don't, but again I'm just curious...

Anyway... I've found over 30 tokens already this year, mostly from two locations. As a result I've got a whole lot of duplicates. They're old copper tokens, dark brown, that are generally clean and free of green verdigris. I found myself wondering what these would have looked like "back in the day" (about 100-150 years ago). If I wanted to polish one up to try to restore its original bright copper shine, what would I use? I tried Brasso on an old copper dog tag years ago and it didn't do anything so I'm not inclined to think it would do anything here. Any ideas?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let it soak overnight in ketchup.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let it soak overnight in ketchup.
I think I did that one other time to an Indian that was all corroded. Doesn't that give it that ugly Pepto Bismol pink matte look similar to vinegar/salt or electrolysis?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
You won't be disappointed....

Attachments

• Simichrome.jpg
    Simichrome.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 73

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Simichrome on my motorcycle. Bikers are usually the only people who know about this product.
Be sure to use plastic gloves when applying and buffing. It really is great stuff.
It's outlawed on California so you know it must be good.

Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I use Simichrome on my motorcycle. Bikers are usually the only people who know about this product.
Be sure to use plastic gloves when applying and buffing. It really is great stuff.
It's outlawed on California so you know it must be good.

Jet boat here...lol, lots of chrome. It'll shine a penny like a riot.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I did that one other time to an Indian that was all corroded. Doesn't that give it that ugly Pepto Bismol pink matte look similar to vinegar/salt or electrolysis?

I haven't used it in a while, but I remember it turned copper. Try it out on a regular dark penny and see what happens. There used to be some posters who advocated shoving the coin inside a potatoe and leaving it for a couple of weeks. Another couldn't hurt to try.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow, a token you say? If you found it metal detecting, I would research it before you ever try to clean it, Many tokens I have found have been some of the most valuable finds I have made. Many tokens, especially saloon tokens are popular, and can be worth more than if you were to find a gold coin. I have watched a partner dig a territorial saloon token from my town that he later sold for $2500, and that same token typed is valued at over $5800 in perfect condition, IF he had tried to clean it, it would have DESTROYED the value! I have only cleaned a few of my tokens, and only by using electrolosis, only because they had a oxidized coating that made it impossible to even know if it was a token or not. In truth, I have made enough money from my token finds to pay for both my detectors several times over! Just don't want you to make a horrible mistake if you did't know! (FYI: the "holy grail" of known Montana tokens in mint condition, is valued at over $10,000)I realize you say you have several duplicates, but you must think of it this way, if a particular saloon only made 300-400 tokens back in the 1800's, and only 20-30 of them still exist, how much more rare is that than finding a gold coin that had a mint of 25,000 some coins? It is going to be much more rare! That isn't always the case, but I would really check to make sure you don't have anything of value before you make a mistake!!!

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A buffing wheel on a dremel and some polishing compound makes for quick work on shining them up.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its a coin with tarnish only and you are sure its worthless then use brasso.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions