I need to vent and some other perspectives.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This week I was shopping around on eBay for a new detector, I was able to find exactly what I was looking for. There just happened to be almost two identical detectors for sale at the same time within $3 of each other. Both had only been used once or twice and came with the same accessories it was a pro pack. What made me buy one over the other was the fact that one was listed as free shipping Priority Mail, the other one was standard shipping. This was on a Tuesday I knew that if I paid for it that night it should ship the next day and I would have it in 2 to 3 days Friday possibly Saturday for a long weekend. I get the tracking information and come to find out he sent it FedEx SmartPost 10 day ground shipping. I emailed him about this and asked him what was going on since he had listed it as expedited shipping. His response was he felt it was safer going through FedEx then through the Postal Service. He said the guy at the counter told him I would have it in 2 to 3 days, wrong it'll take that long just to get out of Ohio. Obviously he doesn't understand that when you ship FedEx SmartPost the post office takes over half way through the process and ends up delivering the item anyway. I explain this to him his response was sorry but enjoy your detector whenever it shows up. It really irritated me that he listed it as being shipped one way then ended up sending it the slowest possible way FedEx has without giving me a heads up. So now instead of the detector taking a short airplane ride it's now going to be stuck in back of a hot truck for seven days on the highway. Any other thoughts and perspectives are welcome even opposing ones. I need a little debriefing cuz I'm a little hot under the collar.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Charlie is correct, address it in feedback. I'd make it a neutral though, at least the seller is communicating with you. I'd assume that he knows how Fedex Smartpost works. Kudos to you for knowing that the USPS is involved in the process. Usually not something this big but, yes it's a good bet the USPS will deliver.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It always sucks when an eBay seller downgrades the shipping from the listing. I've always felt a little ripped off at that point.
That's when my lovely, patient wife tells me not to worry it will probably make it here safely.
She's usually right but it still ticks me off!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both Charlie P. and 1320 are correct and address it in the feedback. Keeping it neutral since the seller did correspond with you is correct and didn't just blow you off but they need to know that changing the shipping is not acceptable and alerting others is the best way to make sure that they watch for the possibility for the same to happen. Hope your detector shows sooner than you expect and get to start using it.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't be so nice, basically lied and stole money from you.....id ask for $20 back....and that's probably light comparing Priority to Economy shipping differences.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He lied, he refuses to learn and deserves that the Truth shows up in his feedback.
To me all the above add up to NEGATIVE feedback and appropriate text to go along with it.

Wont help you, but it may save the next guy.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope he only lied about the shipping Dan. Can't wait to see you at it. Let me know when your down cruces way.

OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spoke with Ebay, he indeed violated the terms of the listing. If it doesn't get here by May the 30th( FedEx confirmed it wont) then e-bay said to call back, open a dispute. The guy won't respond to my messages now, I think he knows he screwed up. What chapped my fanny was the reason he tried to use. I'm sure he had never shipped a detector(a pawn shop dealer)and freaked out about the cost and decided, screw that, and picked the cheapest route possible. This will be a cheap lesson about paying attention to how your listing your items to sell.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This week I was shopping around on eBay for a new detector, I was able to find exactly what I was looking for. There just happened to be almost two identical detectors for sale at the same time within $3 of each other. Both had only been used once or twice and came with the same accessories it was a pro pack. What made me buy one over the other was the fact that one was listed as free shipping Priority Mail, the other one was standard shipping. This was on a Tuesday I knew that if I paid for it that night it should ship the next day and I would have it in 2 to 3 days Friday possibly Saturday for a long weekend. I get the tracking information and come to find out he sent it FedEx SmartPost 10 day ground shipping. I emailed him about this and asked him what was going on since he had listed it as expedited shipping. His response was he felt it was safer going through FedEx then through the Postal Service. He said the guy at the counter told him I would have it in 2 to 3 days, wrong it'll take that long just to get out of Ohio. Obviously he doesn't understand that when you ship FedEx SmartPost the post office takes over half way through the process and ends up delivering the item anyway. I explain this to him his response was sorry but enjoy your detector whenever it shows up. It really irritated me that he listed it as being shipped one way then ended up sending it the slowest possible way FedEx has without giving me a heads up. So now instead of the detector taking a short airplane ride it's now going to be stuck in back of a hot truck for seven days on the highway. Any other thoughts and perspectives are welcome even opposing ones. I need a little debriefing cuz I'm a little hot under the collar.
That's E Bay for ya. :happysmiley:

OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope he only lied about the shipping Dan. Can't wait to see you at it. Let me know when your down cruces way.
That was my thoughts exactly John.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am beyond shocked that you got anyone at ebay to talk to you. Seriously.

If it doesn't work or theres ANY other problem, then refuse the charge on your credit card. Stand your ground if they try to hoodoo you but no one is going to go the distance with you if they see you wont budge. I don't care what they coerced you into agreeing to, but Credit Card laws apply- use them to your advantage. And do so as soon as the statement arrives; there are time restrictions on asserting your rights. Offer to send it back as soon as SELLER pays shipping upfront.

I have never had anything good to say about pawn stores, so I will shut up now.

OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am beyond shocked that you got anyone at ebay to talk to you. Seriously.

If it doesn't work or theres ANY other problem, then refuse the charge on your credit card. Stand your ground if they try to hoodoo you but no one is going to go the distance with you if they see you wont budge. I don't care what they coerced you into agreeing to, but Credit Card laws apply- use them to your advantage. And do so as soon as the statement arrives; there are time restrictions on asserting your rights. Offer to send it back as soon as SELLER pays shipping upfront.

I have never had anything good to say about pawn stores, so I will shut up now.

I called not expecting to actually speak to someone, but, within 2 minutes I was talking to a human :) The guy clearly violated a sellers rule, it's right there in print. I'll call them back on the 30th and go from there. I feel the same way about pawn shop, and I too will leave it at that.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, I feel your pain, I'm in New Mexico also and I *HATE* when somebody sends stuff FedEx parcel whatever.. NewEgg, I'm looking at you..

I've never had a single package take less than 2 weeks.. It always ends up in Phoenix, then they ship it to Denver, then it bounces around
to different terminals around Denver, then they ship it back to Phoenix, it bounces around a few terminals in AZ, then they ship it back
to Denver... Rinse and Repeat, eventually somebody dumps the thing at a post office in CO or AZ and then it gets here in a day or so..

EVERY SINGLE TIME. Denver Phoenix Denver Phoenix Denver Phoenix..

OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, I feel your pain, I'm in New Mexico also and I *HATE* when somebody sends stuff FedEx parcel whatever.. NewEgg, I'm looking at you..

I've never had a single package take less than 2 weeks.. It always ends up in Phoenix, then they ship it to Denver, then it bounces around
to different terminals around Denver, then they ship it back to Phoenix, it bounces around a few terminals in AZ, then they ship it back
to Denver... Rinse and Repeat, eventually somebody dumps the thing at a post office in CO or AZ and then it gets here in a day or so..

EVERY SINGLE TIME. Denver Phoenix Denver Phoenix Denver Phoenix..[/QUO

We are literally out in the middle of no mans land down here :censored:. I don't like the idea of a detector being in the back of a hot delivery truck for 10 days, but, it is what it is for now.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep your neutral feedback factual and to the point:

"Seller downgraded shipping to save himself money. Slow delivery. Cannot recommend."

I would also nail his detailed seller rating (DSR) for shipping time. Give him a "1", since it's going to take at least a week longer than it should have taken to be delivered.

No excuse for changing the delivery method stated in the listing. Seller's must abide by the terms they posted, period.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't understand how the world of package shipping works. I ordered something from ebay and it shipped USPS from California on May 8. I ordered something else from a different ebay seller in California on May 12. It also shipped USPS. Both packages got to me on May 15. Both packages came from California and the shipping costs were identical. One shipped 4 days before the other, yet they arrive on the same day. I don't understand it. Don't even get me started with the FedEx and DHL things where they ship it halfway and then give it to USPS. I don't see how that can be cheaper than USPS the whole way.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I don't understand how the world of package shipping works. I ordered something from ebay and it shipped USPS from California on May 8. I ordered something else from a different ebay seller in California on May 12. It also shipped USPS. Both packages got to me on May 15. Both packages came from California and the shipping costs were identical. One shipped 4 days before the other, yet they arrive on the same day. I don't understand it. Don't even get me started with the FedEx and DHL things where they ship it halfway and then give it to USPS. I don't see how that can be cheaper than USPS the whole way.

When USPS has available space on a shipping container, let's say it's a Priority container for arguments sake, the void is often filled with lower class mail which travels with the faster Priority, it's called upgraded mail. Believe it or not, the USPS really does care and likes to "over deliver" when they can.

This is one example to explain your pair of packages, there are several more....lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread