Giving a Newbie Some Lessons Today

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was able to give some instruction to a nice young woman this morning. Georgia, is brand spanking new to the hobby, and showed up with a Minelab Sovereign XS with a huge 18" coil. She had two more coils, so I scaled her down to the 11", and off we went. I let her hunt for about an hour with the Minelab, teaching her how to swing, keep the coil low and flat, and the best way to pinpoint. We went over recovery and how to dig a plug. For the last hour I gave her my Tesoro Mojave to use, and she fell in love with the light as a feather machine.

I think she will be selling the Minelab. Lot's of fun, a new digging friend, and she found some clad to boot! :skullflag:

Attachments

• IMG_20170609_090219.jpg
    IMG_20170609_090219.jpg
    809.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20170609_093150.jpg
    IMG_20170609_093150.jpg
    958.5 KB · Views: 69

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, that's cool! Nothing like getting help from someone with experience who will show you all the proper things to do and hopefully direct them to proper hole digging and filling and pack out trash and don't give up! Sounds like you pointed Georgia in the proper direction to enjoy MDing!:icon_thumright:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's cool Terry. Nice service you have there. Show them all the proper techniques and they will be Detecting forever!
I can picture the huge 18" coil... bet she was struggling with that.
Looks like you will have another Tesoro fan! :occasion14:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done mate. The time you invest in others will bring you many blessings in the future. 18" coil!!! LOL! When I was just getting started and bought my White's DFX 300 I thought huge coils go deeper so that's what I need. It didn't take long to realize the downside to huge coils and I soon replaced the 300 mm coil with a fleet of smaller coils. Anyhow, great story and thanks for sharing.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job sharing the hobby! :icon_thumright: Terry, your a good man! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all! I am a strong believer in karma..

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If only every noob could start this way!
Well done, Terry! :thumbsup:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool of you to do that for a noob! I bet she learned a great deal from your help. Awesome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread