Now how depressing is that!

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the bug today, so I took my detector out to the little field right next to me. I lasted about 15 minutes. Seemed like the AT Pro got a lot heavier since I used it last. I have not been hunting in about two months. Been a bad couple of months. I used to be able to hunt for at least 3 or 4 hours with no problem. Boy, I need to go a little each day, even if I have to do my own yard. It is hell being old!
So I ordered a detecting Pal. Anybody ever used one?

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You order a detecting pal? Huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Berton

May 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In general, there is nothing bad to use detecting Pal to take the weight of your metal detector. It is very helpful and can protect the detector from the falling on the ground/water.

walnuttree

Jul 23, 2015
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a shoulder strap? I know the shoulder strap on my heavy duty weed trimmer takes a lot of weight off.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You order a detecting pal? Huh?
tn_link.gif
I searched
tn_02.gif
and found Metal Detecting Harness...DetectorPro Detecting Pal Harness (Dec 08, 2014, 12:35 PM)

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh it's the pits isn't it. The harness thing sounds like a good solution to help with the swinging. I spend an hour every other day at the gym doing cardio and resistance weight training so that I stay as strong as possible because my body just keeps wanting to head in the other direction.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
don't you just love it, sometimes it just seems like you are the only one but then you begin to see that there are a lot more people that are struggling with this thing called "Getting Old-er". Seems like a lot more adjustments to how we do things that we used to take for granted. I got the samson shovel mainly to keep from ruining my detector when I got up from a hole, it is my get up crutch after the dig. When my wife actually wears her hearing aids, she says as I get tired, I grunt and moan a lot more when getting up. I last a lot longer with the deus versus the AT GOLD...partial torn rotor cuff and bicep muscle detachment on the swing arm. But, I still push myself because I still love the thrill of the hunt, I just do it smarter if that's what you want to call it. sure hope that harness works great for you. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh thank you. It just happens so darn fast. I tell myself people have it so much worse than I. I am not going to quit yet. I love my AT Pro so don't want to go to another detector. I like that I can hunt in rain too. And besides I hate change! Don't want to learn another detector. I am 76 and don't have the time to waste either LOL. Make every day count!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello OldJerseyGirl,

Works great! :headbang: I use it on my heavy Minelabs and Whites, you can swing easily for 8 - 10 hours with no arm fatigue. :icon_thumright:

There are a few others on the market, I also use them too! Its all about enjoying the experience.

GL & HH

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello OldJerseyGirl,

Works great! :headbang: I use it on my heavy Minelabs and Whites, you can swing easily for 8 - 10 hours with no arm fatigue. :icon_thumright:

There are a few others on the market, I also use them too! Its all about enjoying the experience.

GL & HH

I hope I can get it adjusted right. I am only a little under 5 ft. tall.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
after reading your post I almost ordered one, then discovered that is is NOT a 19 year old female to carry my stuff

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OldJerseyGirl,

I like your spirit.....just make the required adjustments so you keep doing the things you love.

Regards + HH

Bill

Oh thank you. It just happens so darn fast. I tell myself people have it so much worse than I. I am not going to quit yet. I love my AT Pro so don't want to go to another detector. I like that I can hunt in rain too. And besides I hate change! Don't want to learn another detector. I am 76 and don't have the time to waste either LOL. Make every day count!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hah, beat you by a fraction of an inch. I am close enough to five feet that as long as I stand tall I can claim it.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a harness for swinging. Not sure what brand and I have never used it. I got it with one of my Minelab Explorer II purchases. I'll keep it on hand in case I need it eventually. Hopefully not for many years to come. You are an inspiration to all us "younger" folks. Keep after it OJG !!! :headbang:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know if this applies to you but don't stare at the readout. Makes for poor posture and posture is important for endurance.
The detector will squawk if you run into anything. Along with posture it's said an army survives on it's feet ( or something like that) Clean feet and good boots. I'm sure you can skip the clean feet thing.
It's probably a surprise for many how much work MD-ing can be. Not sure if it's the swinging or the constant rescuing of pull tabs. Did anyone ever blow out a flip flop on one of those things??
A friend bought some kind of baby harness he did some modifying to support his MD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread