Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You go back in time to when you first decided to get a metal detector. What advice, specific to you, would you give yourself.

A) Visit that tiny MDing shop in town and buy a Tesoro.

B) Don't wear rings while metal detecting. (Yes, I really did loose a ring while metal detecting.)

C) You will love detecting tot lots.

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont go detecting after work wearing steel toed boots. True story.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lets only go back to my first decent machine and put the Radio Shack thing out of our minds.....

Trust Your Machine. Theres a reason its doing that and it YOUR job to figure out why.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick with it and don't get frustrated with nothing but trash and clad for the first bit until you learn to research, research and figure out where you need to hunt. And accept that humans are basically lazy and dirty and never threw away old pull tabs (guess now their antiques?) and you will find them and have to toss them unless you want to find them again. Remember form your job, learning curve, learning curve, works with MDing too!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Nowadays everyone is so interested in target ID. That's fine, kinda gives you an idea of what to expect.

But train yourself to the sounds the machine makes. You may only choose a two tone detector, but those tones tell you stories. And sometimes targets project themselves out - like with a coin tilted in the sod. Like in water hunting, I scoop everything, and I get coins out with basically two signals where they kinda "Echo" because they were at an angle. The same happens with dirt digging.

You're looking for a solid (not ragged) signal in two directions.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I would tell myself "Don't be in such a hurry to get to your detecting area (beach) that you forget your scoop!" Lol!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I would tell myself "Don't be in such a hurry to get to your detecting area (beach) that you forget your scoop!" Lol!

Oh yes, I've forgotten mine twice so far this year.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would tell myself to buy the best that you can afford. Started with a F5 but really should have spent a little more on something better....or a little less on something better
"quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"

Think realistically about what you are hoping to find.

Take into account what the travel will cost you.

Factor in a pin pointer... a GOOD pinpointer.

Chub

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starting out (1960s) Don't fill grandpas pickup with leaverites (hotrocks)! No matter how hard you wish you didn't hit the motherload and you won't be flush with candybars for the rest of your life.

Pepper06

May 9, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would tell myself to go back 20 years and buy a metal detector instead of waiting until 2 years ago to buy one

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get a machine that's too complicated to operate. I started with a Whites DFX 300 and for one the huge coil was NOT a good idea for beginners or just all around hunting. I got a set of smaller coils but, the machine was technically above my level of understanding as a newbie. I eventually learned it enough to find some really decent stuff with it but, it's still to complex for my liking. I haven't used it in over five years I reckon.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, find a reliable man/woman to carry the sun/rain umbrella, warm/cold towels, folding chair, small table, and beverages. Second, better weed. Much better weed. :skullflag:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
SLOW DOWN!!!
For a long time I swung way too fast with several different detectors and still did pretty good then one day at a site I had thought I drained completely I tried going way slower and it came alive again...it was almost like I was never there before.
This was life changing, after that using much lower swing speeds my good finds volumes increased exponentially and continues to this day.
It was difficult to change and I still need to watch myself, much easier to learn good habits from the beginning than to try to relearn them later on.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, find a reliable man/woman to carry the sun/rain umbrella, warm/cold towels, folding chair, small table, and beverages. Second, better weed. Much better weed. :skullflag:

Seems like you forgot the munchies? All that good weed....lets face it you cant eat a hot towel.

On another note this sounds like prep for a hippy giving birth?

chub

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I give myself advice all the time...

Too bad my self doesn't always listen. :P

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have gotten the small coil for the Fisher M-Scope BFO unit back in 1964, the big coil, which I think was around 14", would barley pick up a dime because of it's size. I still found a lot of CW relics, but had a long learning curve before I learned to find coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread