boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harbor Freights got some. I bought the visor one with the light. Like it! has different lenses that plug in and you can combine for more magnification. Also bought a couple of the 10x that folds up in it's own case. Was like $2 with the 20% coupon. The one I've been carrying in my pocket for two or three years ( a minor miracle in my pockets) is still in good shape. Now that I think about it, I really can't see any difference in clarity etc. than the $20 something one I got as a gift.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
10x with the largest diameter you care to fool with(talking loupes, not handhelds on a stick), brand doesn't matter for initial looksee. Larger diameter is especially good on old eyes. Anything beyond 20x is pretty worthless imo and I've used the same 10x in the field for 40+ years.

I recently got one of the Celestron Digital Microscope Pros for home use and LOVE it. Well under $100; check it out if you think you may have a regular use (and its fantastic for magnified pics and video).

Tip: the best way to use a loupe is to put it close to your eye and move the object to it, not loupe away from the eye. Use your glasses or not at your personal preference.

Last edited:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both 10X and 15X handhelds that came from coin shops some years ago when I started coin collecting. I agree that above 20X is a bit more than you may ever need. Larger diameter is good to have to let more light in (just like the mirror on an old microscope). Having the type that fold into a cover to keep with you and something to use at home is also good. I bought one from Book-a-Million to carry so the good ones are at home and not lost. Good Luck

OP
OP
L

LoganFlame

Jul 4, 2017
New Pekin, IN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II, Garrets Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, the last one I had which I cannot find I bought at Silvertown, lived in Richmond for a little over a decade and did great there, now near Salem, Indiana and getting back into it!

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's a ton of them on the bay if you don't want to actually go hunting for one. + its nice to be able to compare prices from a large selection(just looked and theres 6000+ returns on 'loupe' in north America alone). I actually bought a hi quality 20x from Germany a few years back on that site; it sits in my truck, hardly used except for trying to see if a ring stone is natural or artificial. Like I mentioned before, 20x is just too much magnification to be very useful in everyday use.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions