Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most common "keepers" found in pocket change are the 35% silver war nickels....look for the large mint mark over the Monticello, 1942-45, P, D & S

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's how it starts! Soon you'll be digging them up!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wudnut, A "Find" is a "Find". Welcome to detecting and this Forum.

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The majority of my old coins have been found in pocket change.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
location location location. Oh...and practice practice practice. Put them together and you have a great formula for success.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's how it starts! Soon you'll be digging them up!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly! Last week my wife got a 64 rosey back in change. It had a weird (to a noncollector) patina on it so I think that's how the general public missed it. I have a friend who used to work the night shift at a stop n rob and he often had meth/crackheads coming in with silver change to buy snacks. One moron asked if some silver dollars were still good and my buddy 'reluctantly' accepted them at face value. Drugs are Bad mkay?

And as for the detecting part, just follow what Ammoman said. The goodies come to those who persist.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You are in the oldest part of the country. Old coin Mecca. I drive there on vacation, to go MDing!

Try the old parks and schools. Perhaps someone you know lives is an old house, those are excellent places to find coins. Fields where houses once stood are also good.

It took me 6 months to find my first silver coin, now I average just a little better than 1 per week. Most importantly, enjoy yourself... the treasure will show up shortly.

Best of luck to you sir!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a 1952 D wheat in change today. So I can relax tonight in my AC and claim I got a "keeper" and never even broke a sweat swinging in the heat. I see you have the DFX. My first machine as well. I hope you are beginning to understand it. It took me quite awhile to figure it out and I believe I only scratched the surface as to it's true potential. It was too complex for my little mind so I have moved on to easier to set up machines. You are also in colonial country so you should stand a very good chance of scoring some very old coins and relics if you research and get over the old spots. Good fortune to you mate.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sick isn't it? Woman at the gas station hands me change and I stand there for a second checking it for silver or wheat's and she says "It's right. I counted it." Embarrassed, I reply, "No, no, I'm sure it's right I'm just looking at the dates on the coins." She frowns, I leave. Welcome to the wild world of Treasure Hunting! :occasion14:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a lot of wheats out there in pocket change, a couple of years ago my brother got a IH penny in his change. Coin roll hunters get a lot of wheats and occasionally IH cents, buffalo nickels, silver nickels, and 90% silver coins. I got a shield nickel from a vending machine as change about 20 years ago. Keep digging and checking your change the old coins will come.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pocket change finds usually look a whole lot better than the stuff you dig, especially when it comes to pennies and nickels so I consider them not only a find but a good one at that.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure hunting is multifaceted. I find treasure in change, eye finds, metal detecting, and coin roll hunting.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny thing, it was a mystery Mercury dime I received back in change a few years ago that got me back into detecting. For some strange reason, it lit a fire in me that still burns! A find is a find, Wudnut..whether it came out of the dirt, a Coinstar or your pocket. Ddf

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that metal detecting makes you pay much more attention to pocket change. A little while back I received a pristine 1955 wheat penny back in change, a few days ago I picked up three wheat pennies (1952, 1953, and a 1954), by the vacuum at the car wash, and just the other day, while out running errands I found a 1954 Roosevelt silver dime on the sidewalk of all places.

Little treasures are where and when you find them, even if it's by eyesight! Looking and paying attention is how you find all sorts of goodies, both with and without a detector.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that metal detecting makes you pay much more attention to pocket change. A little while back I received a pristine 1955 wheat penny back in change, a few days ago I picked up three wheat pennies (1952, 1953, and a 1954), by the vacuum at the car wash, and just the other day, while out running errands I found a 1954 Roosevelt silver dime on the sidewalk of all places.

I'll take finds any way I can get them. -- Little treasures are where and when you find them, even if it's by eyesight! Looking and paying attention is how you find all sorts of goodies, both with and without a detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread