Road Trip

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in a couple of weeks my kids will be going to stay with their grandparents for a whole week. It will be my first time to be able to toss my tent in the back of my suv and go someplace I don't normally get to go.

I live right smack in the middle of the continental United States so driving all the way to any coastal areas is a bit overkill. So I though it might be fun to ask you; Where would you go or reccomend I go to metal detect, gold pan, or both?

I don't mind a little hiking and such but keep in mind it's mid summer and things are a bit overgrown, and I'm not looking to go to prison for detecting on a state or national park.

Thanks
Icewing

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nothing?
I see how it is.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude you have so much ambiguity in your post, maybe someone would post if they knew the general vicinity of where you were going.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, you're smack dab in the middle of the US. Narrow it down a little. Might help you get some directions / suggestions. Check the time you started this thread. Shows 8:49 for me. Most people are getting ready to go to sleep, and more than likely won't check TNet while they're getting ready for work in the morning. Relax cause there's no army of people here to answer everyones vague questions and ID their latest find. " Wow, nothing?
I see how it is. " You're on a free website getting free information & direction,
"I see how it is."

With that being said, Have you checked rock hound, ghost town, history books for your area or where you have an idea on going? Do you have AAA? They have a ton of places and good info if you talk to the travel people. The front desk girl will only give you a hwy map.

Slow down, relax, you'll enjoy life a little more.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well come to the mountains then. Little bit of a long trip from where you are maybe. Detecting may be a little iffy, but you can pan for gold. Pay attention as there are still many active claims, but lots of areas where there are no claims. You will find there is a reason for that. But gold is where you find it. The real treasure is being in great country, and every direction you look is like a postcard. Be careful you don't wind up stayin, like I did.

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me....I would head to the gold fields in AZ and try to MD nuggets. That is on my wish list.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude you have so much ambiguity in your post, maybe someone would post if they knew the general vicinity of where you were going.

Yes, that was my intent. I don't have a set direction, and my general location is next to the post, under my name.

"..................
Slow down, relax, you'll enjoy life a little more.

18 hours wasn't enough to check for a response? I'm so very sorry to have jumped the gun.
It was a joke, in case you still don't get that.

With that being said. Yes I have a couple of ghost towns in mind, the closest being Picher, OK but it begs the question; will the lead contamination make my metal detector stupid? I highly doubt it's bad enough to have any effect but I'd hate to get there and find out I was wrong. The other is about 5 hours in the opposite direction. I'm open to anything, within reason.

I was just thinking that if I got some positive feedback and good ideas I'd let TNET members guide my trip. And that I'd share what I find along the way. If that's not how it goes, I'll still have fun.

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well, that explains a lot. I live in SE Ar-can-slaw.

I have a wheelbarrow of can slaw I'm thinking about taking to the recycler soon ...

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I see I haven't got a whole lot of ideas tossed out, but I guess that's part of the game...
Anyway my first ever week with no kids (visiting grandparents) and freedom to go on a little digging road trip.
The problem now is that mother nature wants to make things miserable by parking a huge heat wave right over the middle of the middle of the continent, making it almost dangerous to be out digging for more than a couple of hours per day. Anyway I still have my fingers crossed that I'll find some place new to explore even if I have to go a bit further than I had originally hoped. Plus I'm still open to ideas from other TNET members as well.

??? The heat and humidity here in the rocky hills of Ozarks is just oppressive this time of year.

Thanks
Icewing

wildpig

Jul 25, 2015
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you get over to Picher? I have been thinking about it, but it's a 2 hour drive for me, and hate to try it if, if it's full of hot rocks.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you get over to Picher? I have been thinking about it, but it's a 2 hour drive for me, and hate to try it if, if it's full of hot rocks.

I never did

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well if you make it into western ny by chance let me know. I am always down to detect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread