Snake bites

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Tis the season for rattlers to be out, and every year dogs get bitten. I just saw today that a fellow propsector had his dog die from a snake bite. I am truly sorry for his loss. Having been there done that before with one of my beloved dogs, I can speak from experience. The only true way to help the pet is to get them to the emergency vet ASAP, where they can administer the antivenon, and antibiotics to halt infections. Yes, it is going to be really expensive, but I believe my dogs are just as important as kids. I am adding this next paragraph for more detail.

Fact: There is absolutely no scientifically sound evidence that electric shock or the use of any stun gun on a snakebite, either in man or animal, is effective in preventing the effects of venomous snakebite. In victims with serious snakebite who used the device they still had symptoms of snakebite and required standardized medical treatment including antivenom. They may have had some relief from pain and swelling as a result of the shock but that is all.

There is also a vaccine your local vet can give your dogs, that makes the snake bite far less of an injury. But you must get the dogs vaccinated ahead of time. IIRC, it is a series of shots to start with, then a booster once a year afterwards. The shots cost a little up front, but it pays off when the dog gets bitten, you don't have to pay for all the emergency room stuff. They treat it like an infection rather than a poisoning. I personally will not take my dog with me when out prospecting for this reason alone. But they can also be bitten at home too. So please get your dog the shots and pray they never have to experience what my poor old dog did. BTW, mine made it through, I was out a lot of money, he had a big scar on his leg for the rest of his life. Good news he never messed with a snake again! Guess he learned.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have a citation for your 'Fact'? Not challenging you but I would like to see the source to help me decide on its veracity. Everything scientific that I have read has shown mixed results and it is my understanding that the jury is still out on this. Would love to see Science that I am unaware of.....

The working theory used to be that the application of the current changed the highly positive charge (speaking simply on this) on the venom and caused it to not bind so readily to tissue. And iirc, there was a very specific model of stun gun that seemed to work and no other models ever did. Something to do with a specific amount of current, not voltage.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was with you right up until you said " I believe my dogs are just as important as kids."

nonsense

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend and I were digging up a gold bearing rock and a small snake almost went up his pants. Poor snake. At least the snake wasn't hurt! (Non poisonous.)

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All pets and people need to be careful when around all snakes. Good hunting and good luck.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was with you right up until you said " I believe my dogs are just as important as kids."

nonsense

I have to agree with you mate. If I have to choose between my child or the pet. Child wins. I know some people who would choose the pet. I love animals but, they aren't human beings.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kill every damned, poisonous one that I run across so nothing gets bitten! PETA can go to Hell too and anybody else if they don't like it! :cussing:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I was very fortunate wearing brand new unwashed jeans back when jeans were made of heavier material. At age 12 I was bitten by a copperhead. I was squatting fixing a hole in the chicken wire and the jeans were tight on my knee. All the venom was on the material and my knee had only a scratch from the fangs.

I was very very lucky that day. Granny used to say "watch out for the snakes".

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dogs as important as Children??????????????????????//:BangHead:
What Planet are you from?
Marvin

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kill every damned, poisonous one that I run across so nothing gets bitten! PETA can go to Hell too and anybody else if they don't like it! :cussing:

I like your attitude!! I kill everyone I come across....the only good rattler, is a dead one!!:thumbsup:

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have to agree with you mate. If I have to choose between my child or the pet. Child wins. I know some people who would choose the pet. I love animals but, they aren't human beings.

You're right...they're better than human beings. Most of them at least.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone who says pets are as important as children never had children and I pity any child with a parent who makes such a claim.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think to be fair we should perhaps focus on the well meaning part of the op's intention. As I read it he's debunking stunguns as treatment for snakebite. I dont think it was kids vs dogs.

That said, where I live I have the delightful Puff Adder everywhere I detect....they play dead and wont move out the way (yet are very fast strikers when need be) move at about 1/2 walking pace and normally kill you if you are 6 hours from help. Lets face it, it adds a little sizzle to detecting - it's all good sport!

To be honest though I spend as much time in nature as possible so my movement detection, animal/ human/ insect /tracking, weather spotting, tree /plant identification is pretty much on point.

chub

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cape cobra skin

Attachments

• 20170520_153850.jpg
    20170520_153850.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 74

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The poisonous ones can do what they want; I do, however, destroy all the venomous ones I come across!!!

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shot one in the house once.... that, um went surprisingly well....I put it outside then had to go and collect a new TV. Came back and the snake had gone! Turns out it was still allive?! WTH? anyway ended up cutting it in half (just to make sure) ha ha

Another time back in the mid 90s I had a bag of chicken feed on the back porch...that attracted some mice...that attracted a big red bellied black snake.(lived in Australia) It was living under the dog house next to the feed. My brother had a Franchi spas (spelling?) ready. The plan was for me to lift the dog house with a pole while he emptied the spas into the snake nest. It all went well until I lifted the dog house...lets just say my brother didnt get a shot off before the snake raced off at high speed! On a side note the franchi spas had a terrible flaw. If you pulled the trigger when the safety was on it didnt fire....but ....when you put the safety off it fired the round off!! Would not recommend.

Chub

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shot one in the house once.... that, um went surprisingly well....I put it outside then had to go and collect a new TV. Came back and the snake had gone! Turns out it was still allive?! WTH? anyway ended up cutting it in half (just to make sure) ha ha

Another time back in the mid 90s I had a bag of chicken feed on the back porch...that attracted some mice...that attracted a big red bellied black snake.(lived in Australia) It was living under the dog house next to the feed. My brother had a Franchi spas (spelling?) ready. The plan was for me to lift the dog house with a pole while he emptied the spas into the snake nest. It all went well until I lifted the dog house...lets just say my brother didnt get a shot off before the snake raced off at high speed! On a side note the franchi spas had a terrible flaw. If you pulled the trigger when the safety was on it didnt fire....but ....when you put the safety off it fired the round off!! Would not recommend.

Chub

Does he still have that SPAS-12? They sell for quite a bit now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread