Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I stopped at an antique shop fifteen minutes away, looking for some old coins or cool antiques. I had just bought a very cheap Morgan Dollar, and a nice Argus C-3 camera. After browsing through some old records, I went to the other side of the shop. First off, my house is missing a number 1700's hand made shutters on the rear and side part of the house. I have been searching for over a month for replacements for the side of my house. The shutters on my house are painted black, with a dark green paint underneath the black paint, and a triangle with roman numerals carved on each shutter. Four shutters in the rear of the house were removed sometime before the 1950's when an addition was added in that area. The shutters on the side of the house are a slightly different size, but are the same as the other ones otherwise. Anyways, at the antique shop, tucked in the corner were two windows worth of 1700's black handmade shutters, with dark green paint underneath the black paint. The also had the same hinges and the same carving marks, such as a triangle and roman numerals. They were also under thirty dollars for all of them! I was very stupid, and decided that I should measure the ones at home before buying these ones. They are indeed the same size, and built exactly the same way as the ones on the rear of my house. They even have the roman numeral indicating that they belong on the back of the house. I am beating myself over the head for not getting them, I will definitely be getting them tomorrow though! Is there a chance my suspicion could be correct, were these shutters once part of my house? Another interesting thing recently happened there too. A week before I was reading a book about the history of my town, and decided to read a long passage about the colonial representative of my town. I then realized he lived in one of the other houses in my town that I was considering buying when I moved this year. The next day I went to the antique shop, and there was a two hundred year old handwritten letter, about a town election, written and signed by the same man I was reading about the night before.

Though these shutters are a little bit too long for the side of the house, I think I could potentially cut out a small segment, of equal size on the top part and bottom, and re-attached the wood. Or perhaps I will just keep them as they are in the barn. I can not put them back on the rear of the house, for when that addition was put up, the old windows were removed, and rearranged. It is not possible to put shutters there.

Anyone have anything like that ever happen to them?

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Wait! I just checked outside, they do look like they could easily be for the side of the house, if so they would fit no problem. After comparing with photos, I am pretty sure that they are the same type as the ones on the side of the house, I will let you know tomorrow afternoon.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They might have come from your house, an odd once in a lifetime find indeed. Anything from the 1700's for $30 I am buying - regardless if it fits my house or not. Hope they still have them and you are able to pick them up.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
They might have come from your house, an odd once in a lifetime find indeed. Anything from the 1700's for $30 I am buying - regardless if it fits my house or not. Hope they still have them and you are able to pick them up.
Me to, I hope they still have them! I love finding 1700's stuff at these places. I so far found a 1700's deed for $15, and a small piece of paper from the 1700's that a child practiced spelling and writing on, for $5! I can't wait to see if they are actually the same as the other ones. They have the same number of wooden blind things, and the same colors of paint, now to see they match with the others!

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats pretty cool. I would definitely go back for the shutters, perhaps call and leave a message tonight asking to hold them for you.

The universe may dropping you some hints, keep following them. :)

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me to, I hope they still have them! I love finding 1700's stuff at these places. I so far found a 1700's deed for $15, and a small piece of paper from the 1700's that a child practiced spelling and writing on, for $5! I can't wait to see if they are actually the same as the other ones. They have the same number of wooden blind things, and the same colors of paint, now to see they match with the others!

Awesome, let us know how it goes. You know we are going to want pics of them re-homed too.. :laughing7:

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats pretty cool. I would definitely go back for the shutters, perhaps call and leave a message tonight asking to hold them for you.

The universe may dropping you some hints, keep following them. :)

Thanks! I kept trying to call them, no voice mail set up yet! Maybe a friend can pick them up for me, while I am at work, if not I will try to somehow get there right as it opens. They are carbon copies of the type I need one the side of the house facing the road (the house faces south, rather than the road). Once I have these shutters my house will look much nicer from the outside. Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if these shutters didn't originally come from my house. The chances are slim though, maybe because they are all hand made it will be easier to tell though. I spent many hours looking online for replacement shutters, I couldn't find the same type, and it seems like shutters from the 1700's or early 1800's are quite pricey. I compared the photo I took of the shutters at the antique shop, to the type of shutters that are missing, they look to be the same. Maybe it is a sign from above! There is a huge shelf of compartments made from 1950's apple crates, made back in the 1980's, one of them was missing. I went to the dump, and there sitting right next to my car was an old fruit crate in perfect condition. I have been having a lot of weird things like that happening lately, maybe the powers that be want to see the place restored. I will keep you guys posted to see how it turns out, I will try to add photos once they are up too!

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
the shop shutters could have been same craftsman, that prob did several
houses in the area, id get them. next time you find something like that,
tell the shop owner your interested but need a day to research for a fit to
your needs

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope you are able to get them.

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait, let me get this straight, you have a home built in the 1700's?????????? What cool and amazing finds have you found there? Is there a thread???????

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Wait, let me get this straight, you have a home built in the 1700's?????????? What cool and amazing finds have you found there? Is there a thread???????

It seems that a few other people also thought it would be a nice place to metal detect:laughing7:. Hunted out long before I even moved in. I did happen to find some nice colonial flat buttons in the woods though. It is very cool to live in a house with this much history I constantly notice new stuff inside and outside the house everyday. It is very cool that it was never really modernized inside, the owners from the 1980's-2000's completely restored the house, and even uncovered the 1700's beehive oven that was behind a wall. They kept it completely original though, I even have some interior doors from the mid-late 1700's still in place.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/550985-finds-my-new-house.html

I got the shutters today, they are the exact size as the type I was missing. I had no idea that this size even existed, I couldn't find any other shutters that were this size anywhere. 46 inches long, and 12.5 inches wide. I don't think the are from the house, because the ones on my house don't have a rod for moving the louvers, and the ones I bought do (one doesn't though). Otherwise, they are completely identical, I think the theory about them being made by the same craftsman might be right! I hope to install them tomorrow!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you were able to pick them up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions