Update to my "getting discouraged" thread...

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to quit after my first year - my second year I detected my own yard and was able to take my time and learn my machine
house was built in late 30s and had lots of goodies along with foil wrappers and soda caps and nails
I stuck with it - look at me now
just a sample of my finds
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums.html
if you enjoy it - try and stick with it
good luck

i'm so glad that you stuck with it!!! good job.
i do enjoy the time , so i think i will stick with it for some time.

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were he like this one?

Elaphe_guttata_guttata_Okeetee_subad_female_A1_web.jpg

Completely harmless corn snake.

I think Washington is much like New York. The only dangerous snake you might come across is a rattlesnake, and the chances are very slim of ever seeing one. If you do - don't forget you have a four foot push pole (the detector) and can just keep the coil between you as a shield until you move past them and away. No worries, no harm to either of you, everybody wins.

Twice this summer I have come across these guys: fishing spiders.

fishing-spider_4.jpg

Although I know they are "relatively" harmless (no worse than a mishandled wasp) they do usually get my attention.

i never thought to worry about spiders too! omg,,. hahaha

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
snakes are not really a problem in Texas we feed them lead to go away

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a vid of your machine and how you set it up? Perhaps there is something not set properly. Right now, you are digging everything and that is great! You will learn your machine faster.

Learning what not to dig is MORE important than what to dig. It will save you time in the far future. For now, you have to work.

you are right, i am digging up everything. And everything is a lot of trash. LOL
I am starting to piece the tones together as to what is what. I'm sure i will be getting it soon.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatever you do don't stop swinging. You're earning your strikes you'll get use to it or more excepting at least. Lol We all go through it more of the time, but when it strikes that strikes hard and then you're in total addiction. Be ready for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone here speaks the truth. You gotta dig the trash and learn your machine. Plus, the more trash you dig, the more exciting the non-trash items become.

Take this park hunt i did. I dug every signal i heard that day. After four hours of digging pull tabs, i got so excited when i found a key that I had it matted and framed and hung it on my wall. (jk. But i was glad to dig something other than a tab)

20170610_174055.jpg

These guys arent kidding when they talk about 5 gallon buckets of trash. Im only up to 2 & 1/2, but im pretty new to this still.... and then you find something great like a ring or a cool coin and the trash only motivates you to dig more. Why just the other day i found a Corvette. Had I not been willing to dig the trash, that matchbox car would still be buried.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone here speaks the truth. You gotta dig the trash and learn your machine. Plus, the more trash you dig, the more exciting the non-trash items become.

Take this park hunt i did. I dug every signal i heard that day. After four hours of digging pull tabs, i got so excited when i found a key that I had it matted and framed and hung it on my wall. (jk. But i was glad to dig something other than a tab)

View attachment 1492190

These guys arent kidding when they talk about 5 gallon buckets of trash. Im only up to 2 & 1/2, but im pretty new to this still.... and then you find something great like a ring or a cool coin and the trash only motivates you to dig more. Why just the other day i found a Corvette. Had I not been willing to dig the trash, that matchbox car would still be buried.

HAHAHAHAHA. When you said you found a Corvette, I was really impressed. Then you said it was a Matchbox and I was still impressed!
Thanks for the tips. 4 hours of pull tabs, what a day! :)

OP
OP
Jenni_Lee

Jenni_Lee

Aug 25, 2017
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you do don't stop swinging. You're earning your strikes you'll get use to it or more excepting at least. Lol We all go through it more of the time, but when it strikes that strikes hard and then you're in total addiction. Be ready for it.

the 1941 dime that i found on my first night out got me addicted! been nothing but trash since other than the quarter. but i'm still loving the hobby. Just wish i was more secure. I feel like everyone is watching me while i'm out. I'm sure i'll get over that though with experience.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Just be aware of what's going on around you and go on about your business,you'll do just fine.

GOD Bless

Chris

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the 1941 dime that i found on my first night out got me addicted! been nothing but trash since other than the quarter. but i'm still loving the hobby. Just wish i was more secure. I feel like everyone is watching me while i'm out. I'm sure i'll get over that though with experience.

Something tells me you're on you way to greatness. God made Moses walk through the desert for 40 years to find happiness. I don't think it's gonna take you that long. Lol

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHAHAHAHA. When you said you found a Corvette, I was really impressed. Then you said it was a Matchbox and I was still impressed!
Thanks for the tips. 4 hours of pull tabs, what a day! :)

It needs a little work but it'll run. ;) Parked it in the garage with the rest of my salvaged collection. 20170910_012558.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't let it get to you. You have the same right to be there as they do, maybe more. You are doing the public a service free of charge, cleaning out the trash, that those morons probably left there.

A word of advice, if you find something nice. Like jewelry DO NOT show it to them. When they ask what you found just say "lots of trash and these", and hold out a couple of corroded zincs.
Its not in your best interest to let general public think you are hauling in gold & silver left & right. Thats what most of them will think if you show them a nice ring you just found.
You would be surprised at how fast the greed factor sets in with some people.

I hope you find tons of gold & silver, cause we all know how hard it is to find it.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread