Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'round here I treat coyotes about the same as a mosquito, yellow jacket, or house fly. I smack them quick and smack them hard.

Yup, I do the same thing to people who abuse animals. First offense, I smack them quick and smack them hard. Second offense is punishable by death, though. Easy to dispose of the bodies when you live next to a reservoir that holds 39 billion gallons of water. 8-)

Lewis: Do know what's gonna be here? Right here? A lake. As far as the eyes can see. Hundreds of feet deep. HUNDREDS of feet deep. Did you ever look out over a lake and think of somethin' buried underneath it? Buried underneath it. Well man, that's just about as buried as you can get

Scene from "Deliverance"

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There used to be a bounty on coyote around here but most people forgot why and the greenie fruits convinced the watermelon(red on the inside) legislature to repeal it. I think it was only a buck a pair of ears, but the bounty was effective.

There used to be a bounty on wolves 100 years ago and we reintroduced timber wolves to the Midwest. Now all the deer hunters and most of the farmers are getting their lunch ate by predators, but they are the minority. People have forgotten the totality of increased preadator population in favor of a diverse ecosystem, never mind if it is a balanced ecosystem, so long as it has diversity.:BangHead:

Remember boys and girls- every pet a coyote eats means another whitetail deer that got to live another day. So don't be so selfish, just think of a all the deer you saved next time spot the dog or freckles the cat gets ate. So what if it isn't safe to keep a pet, you got a diverse ecosystem. Isn't that what you asked for?

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
Yup, I do the same thing to people who abuse animals. First offense, I smack them quick and smack them hard. Second offense is punishable by death, though. Easy to dispose of the bodies when you live next to a reservoir that holds 39 billion gallons of water. 8-)

Scene from "Deliverance"

Im not afraid of deep water or hot air.
'round here, they would just throw you in with the hogs, nuthin left but the soles of your shoes.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That sounds abusive towards humans. Humans are animals, but not the other way around.

Go fill your pockets with rocks and go for a swim, if you must.:laughing7:

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've taken 3 (coyotes) from my kitchen table eating breakfast Sunday morning....just crack the patio door 6" and send the 22 mag down range 150 yards...let the buzzards clean'em up...even a the crack of a .22 would bring the SWAT team to my front door in my neighborhood ...the coyotes have avoided my food plot for 2 years now for some reason.....BTW.....i love animals....they are delicious....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Coyotes rarely attack people. There have only been two documented fatal coyote attacks in the U.S. in recent history. Maybe you guys should do more reading on the subject before you start blasting away in the woods. It must be tough to be afraid of every living thing in this world...

"There have been a small number of attacks on people in the U.S. and Canada, with most of the attacks involving small children under 5 years of age. Since 3 million children are bitten by dogs every year, your small child is millions of times more likely to get hurt by the family pet than by a coyote."

Here's the whole article:

Coyote Attacks On People in the U.S. and Canada

Nice article. I think that if you don't bother them, they won't bother you, unless they have rabies which is quite rare. Most wild animals that I see run away as fast as they can if they see people. I would probably be out of there pretty quick though if I heard them so close to me, normally I only hear them far off in the distance. I get very scared when I see a loose dog running towards me, growling and barking. I don't carry firearms with me, though I do think it is a wise idea to do so, especially if you are in a bad part of town where you may get robbed. Also, In the unlikely occasion that you get lost deep in the woods, it would help to have some type of firearm in case you need to hunt for food. It also probably feels better knowing that you have some defense in case something happens while metal detecting.

Good luck at the cellar hole!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds abusive towards humans. Humans are animals, but not the other way around

"The only good human, is a dead human"

Planet of the Apes

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go fill your pockets with rocks and go for a swim, if you must

Actually, that's how you keep them from floating to the top of the water. How'd you know that trick?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've taken 3 (coyotes) from my kitchen table eating breakfast Sunday morning....just crack the patio door 6" and send the 22 mag down range 150 yards...let the buzzards clean'em up...even a the crack of a .22 would bring the SWAT team to my front door in my neighborhood ...the coyotes have avoided my food plot for 2 years now for some reason.....BTW.....i love animals....they are delicious....

Wow, you're so manly! It sure takes a lot of courage to shoot an animal from 150 yards away...

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a jolly nice article Freebirdtim, but I tried "not bothering the coyotes", and they still bother me raving mad. You see, the coyotes eat about half the deer fawns and most all the rabbits in my area. It does not just bother me, it makes me want to kill. Not because I hate, its got nothing to do with love or hate. I just prefer deer and rabbits over coyote. That's all.

TreeFarm

Aug 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Berkshires of Mass here... same breed. Size of german shepherds... I'm a trail runner also and I'll tell ya"... when there is a pack near you letting loose with some talk the reasoning goes out of your head and the cave man reflex kicks in. These aren't western coy dogs.... these are big ole buggers that make ya' think twice...

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you're so manly! It sure takes a lot of courage to shoot an animal from 150 yards away...
That's nothing.....you won't believe me but in PA we long range deer at 800 yards plus....whats more manly is dragging a 175 lbs animal a mile across a mountain with a 45 degree slope covered in shale back to the truck.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not in my county. $20 to renew for five years . . . now. I paid something like $10 in 1976 (plus maybe a $15 fee for the FBI fingerprint check) and it only was a $5 fee to update whenever a new pistol was added since then. This mandatory renewal stuff is new with the SAFE Act in the last few years. (Damn Gov. Cuomo).

BUT - you do have to complete an eight-hour "class" that cost something like $150 for an unrestricted permit. That's a requirement of the county issuing judge. It was actually a lot of fun (we each shot off over 100 rounds). I took the course through Rochester Personal Defense LLC.

Note that for a permit for hunting and target shooting (restricted permit) you don't need the course. But the initial background check and fingerprint check is probably a hefty fee now. Again, the fee depends on your county.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

I hunt but I don't abuse animals nor humans but at the same time I will not tolerate attacks from either. If either decide to charge on, they will find out the hard way that I am not someone to contend with. Where I hunt and Gold prospect, there are lots of Coyotes, Black Bear, Wild Boar (the mean European Wild Hogs), Cougar, Rattlesnakes, Copperhead snakes, an occasional Grey Wolf and Meth Head and/or Pot Growing Humans. I have been charged by Black Bear twice and had other close encounters with them, been stalked by Coyotes many times and had fairly close encounters with most of the others. I usually hunt and prospect alone and do not go into the woods anymore without some type of protection. That may be my' big Buck Knife, a very sharp Machete, a very sharp axe, a shotgun, a rifle, a pistol or a combination of several of these. I know that some are only protecting their' territory or offspring and I do my best to take these into account when considering whether I can scare them off or if I will have to dispatch them to the next life. When you have walked in someone else's shoes in the areas they live and hunt and have been in similar situations that they have, then maybe you will have a clue on how life really is in some areas.

I have a 500+ acre field next to my' home and another one across the highway. Currently the one next to my' home is planted with Soybeans and the one across the highway is planted in Corn. There is at least 50 Coyotes in each field every day and night and the property owner like you, will do nothing about them even though they have killed hundreds of livestock, cats, and dogs and countless other small animals and birds in this area. I have grandkids that live with me and we have pets and it is unnerving to have Coyotes howling 5 to 10 feet on the other side of the fence from my' property. I dare you to venture in either field day or night without being armed.

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

Being manly or having courage has nothing to do with it! It takes skill and the need to cull a predatory animal that is both a danger to livestock, pets and humans as well. I have the skill and weapons to shoot some animals and humans at close to a mile but I have never had to. If rag head terrorists come to kill me or my family, then I will shoot as many as I can no matter how far away they are.

Frank

Timfromholland

Sep 4, 2017
Assen
Detector(s) used
Xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wel i understand why u guys carry guns now lol bears wolfs coyotes .
i said i only see like bunnys and deers here so dont need a gun until i get hungry but one time i fot premmision of a farmer to detect on his farmland .
the dude askt me if i was scared of cows so i said ofcourse not .
than when i was detecting i see in the distance one freaking musseld cow behind a fence and the farmer unlocking the fence .
that cow he was talking about had giant balls and bit angry look in his eyes his 'cow ' rund straight at me so i rund away .
becouse i dont wanne end up on one of his horns .
i jumpt the fence and got in mi car than when i askt the farmer wtf was his problem he told me he dont like ppl on his propperty ........
i freaking wish i had a gun so i could send that bull on skitrip in mi freezer

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, the farmer didn't want you on his' property but gave you permission anyway just so he could unleash the bull on you to run you off the property! If you had been armed with a gun, you should have shot the damn bull and ended the farmers foolish pranks.

Frank

Last edited:

Timfromholland

Sep 4, 2017
Assen
Detector(s) used
Xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes sir but wel here its soooo hard to get a gun legal and if u have one legal u cant carry it u need put it in fault appart from ammo and only use to shoot damm carts in shooting range ...
Soo end of storry crimminals have guns annyway and normal ppl csnt have so devenceles against crimminals yeey holland :BangHead:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 years ago you never saw coyotes here now we have many. The state has an open season on them and no limit. I have found that what ever you take out just fills back up so I do not worry about the few deer and fawns they eat we have many. It is the wild dogs running and killing the deer for sport that we have a problem with. They will dog a deer until it collapses. We take out the wild dogs every season. I let the coyotes slide they have their niche. The little pets people drop off out in the country not so much. People that drop off animals (pets) in the mountains thinking they will be ok are wrong. I manage over 4000 acs and we keep it well balanced.
Oh yeah now we are seeing armadillos. Crazy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread