Chased off by the yotes and skunked.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't fear predators around here beyond my dogs's well being.
The bear are bear and while not trusted as far as what they will do ,are not harassed either. Only one armed brief standoff so far. No foul,no harm.
Critters are critters ,people are people. For every problem critter there are two problem people.

Yotes I have no use for in great numbers. While not seeking them beyond my borders ,I too am territorial.
They are adaptable.....

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Warning to those throwing insults, either the insults end or the ability to do anything other than reading posts ends for a long while........

I seriously don't think I insulted anyone on Treasure Net unless there is a member on here that wants to confess to being a terrorist!

Frank

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coyotes are very low on my list of worries and we have lots of them among other critters(pictured below, 100 yards from my bedroom window). It is the 2 legged animals that I would carry for. People always talk about how extreme it is to carry a handgun until there is that one time when they wish they had it or the ability to use it.:tongue3:

Attachments

• lion big sept 2017.jpg
    lion big sept 2017.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 47

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good advice dizzy. Good balanced approach. You're the type of hunter I respect and I wish we had more of.
Usually hunting season here means trespassers, trashed camp sites and cut fences. We are surrounded by natl Forest and the out-of-staters will hunt our fence line and go no further into the woods. We go through and clean their camp sites after they trash them and sometimes they even have RVs, and they dump their waste tanks right there where they camped. We find elk corpses laying around with the heads cut off and the rest wasted.
A few years ago a Texan was telling me about his hunt and he hadn't seen much, but he did take some sound shots into an Aspen Grove. I'd grown up hunting and been in the military and I thought I'd heard it all but I wasn't familiar with a "sound shot".
He explained it to me and basically they hear a noise in the trees they just start shooting to rustle it out. Wtf???
I've never heard of anything like that but it's common among these idiots and I'm glad it hasn't been my wife or dogs out hiking that was the target of the "sound shots".
I don't remember learning that technique in hunters safety but seems the norm with these guys.
I was thinking to maybe go out there and record the vehicles and plates this year so there is a record of the abuse.
Going out there with my ghillie and taking sound shots at their campers seems like much more fun and maybe they wouldn't come back again.
Note: there's never an issue with bow hunters or during preseason, it's always the 300 lb Texan trophy hunters riding around all day on their quads. It's the most stressful time of year for living here and they have no respect for anything.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank I named no names, those throwing insults and breaking rules know who they are.......

I seriously don't think I insulted anyone on Treasure Net unless there is a member on here that wants to confess to being a terrorist!

Frank

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice dizzy. Good balanced approach. You're the type of hunter I respect and I wish we had more of.
Usually hunting season here means trespassers, trashed camp sites and cut fences. We are surrounded by natl Forest and the out-of-staters will hunt our fence line and go no further into the woods. We go through and clean their camp sites after they trash them and sometimes they even have RVs, and they dump their waste tanks right there where they camped. We find elk corpses laying around with the heads cut off and the rest wasted.
A few years ago a Texan was telling me about his hunt and he hadn't seen much, but he did take some sound shots into an Aspen Grove. I'd grown up hunting and been in the military and I thought I'd heard it all but I wasn't familiar with a "sound shot".
He explained it to me and basically they hear a noise in the trees they just start shooting to rustle it out. Wtf???
I've never heard of anything like that but it's common among these idiots and I'm glad it hasn't been my wife or dogs out hiking that was the target of the "sound shots".
I don't remember learning that technique in hunters safety but seems the norm with these guys.
I was thinking to maybe go out there and record the vehicles and plates this year so there is a record of the abuse.
Going out there with my ghillie and taking sound shots at their campers seems like much more fun and maybe they wouldn't come back again.
Note: there's never an issue with bow hunters or during preseason, it's always the 300 lb Texan trophy hunters riding around all day on their quads. It's the most stressful time of year for living here and they have no respect for anything.

We get a whole lot of those types here in western ny.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coyotes are very low on my list of worries and we have lots of them among other critters(pictured below, 100 yards from my bedroom window). It is the 2 legged animals that I would carry for. People always talk about how extreme it is to carry a handgun until there is that one time when they wish they had it or the ability to use it.:tongue3:

Looks to be a pretty good size cougar there! Wouldn't wanna run into that at night.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be a pretty good size cougar there! Wouldn't wanna run into that at night.

It is a big one. I should post of a pick of my 90lb dog in the same spot.. It is a big lion. One of the bigger ones I have gotten on camera.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Coyotes are predators...if they're hungry and see what they consider to be "food",
then they're going after it. Pet dogs, cats, rabbits, mice, rodents of all kinds.

Someone mentioned a farmer who let the coyotes run in his fields...there's a good
reason for that, as the coyotes keep the raccoons, rabbits, deer and other critters
from eating his crops.[

If you're out in the woods (their territory) and you see a coyote, then enjoy the
moment. If you feel threatened by one or more, then stand your ground and
fight them only if needed. Moving out of the area is your best bet.

In my earlier years as a trapper and professional hunter for a number of agencies,
it was my job to remove dangerous predators from around livestock (sheep mostly)
as well as taking their pelts for the fur trade. I've killed more coyotes than most of
you have ever seen (cumulative), and for the most part my philosophy now is: If
the critter isn't causing a problem, then leave them the hell alone.

JMHO, but at .22 Mag is insufficient for taking a coyote at any distance
over 50yds. Please, don't cause animals needless suffering, so if you're going to
kill one make sure you use sufficient means, and then confirm that the animal is
expired. Leaving a wounded critter in the woods leads to a painful, miserable death
which the critter does not deserve.

The last coyote I trapped was in a field near where my 2nd wife and I lived. Wife
wanted it gone, so while I did trap it that night, I released it the next morning after
a very stern lecture on where it should live, and to stay the hell off my turf. That
was about 1991. (and we never saw her again)

If you feel that a pack is threatening you, then you are clearly in a spot in their
territory where they don't want you. Could be they have pups in a den nearby?
Either way, just move out of the area and come back at a later time. You'll
live another day, and so will they.

Fear the predators you don't see..the black bears who *might* stalk you (maybe),
the cougars that you will never know are there until it pounces on your back, the
rattlesnake (and other snakes), as well as hornets, wasps, etc.

My two centavos worth...

I was the person who mentioned the neighbors that refused to take care of the Coyotes on their' property. Actually, the husband was all for me or anyone else culling the Coyotes as they had suffered so many losses of newborn calves that their' cattle raising business was going South quickly. However, the wife who adamantly states that the land is her' property and not her husbands property, that the land has been in her' family for well over 150 years and that she is a Christian but berates the hell out of me when I asked her if it was okay to cull the Coyotes. I had called to talk to the husband since he previously gave me permission but he was unavailable, so I asked her and boy was that a mistake. Well, they ended up having to sell off all of their' cattle and joined a Farmer's Cooperative that raises feed for livestock and I guess some of the Corn goes to making legal Moonshine, Ethanol to add to gas and other Alcohol type products. Even though I live just inside the City Limits, the Game Warden here said that if me, any of my family or pets are attacked by Coyotes, then I have the legal right to discharge any of my' guns to protect them, myself or my' pets. It is even possible that I could sue the neighbors for letting the Coyotes populate out of control on their' lands when they have been aware of the problem for as long as I have lived here and that is almost 22 years.

Frank

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
I carry a gun as well when I am out metal detecting, gold prospecting, or rockhounding as one never knows what one will run into (a two or four legged critter) a critter who is angry about something or you upset them. Best to be prepared rather than somewhere something can happen. I even have a breakdown rifle on our Side by Side for safety and concern reasons. Then my biggest threat is my husband or a good friend of ours who is 6'4'' and carries a big gun wherever he goes , so I have no safety concerns when I go out by myself or with them .. :-)

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[QUOTE I urge you to consider the way you have a habit of approaching people here on these forums, as this is not the first thread you have acted with this deplorable demeanor.[/QUOTE]

Must be from living in Rhode Island all my life! Everyone here has that "in your face" attitude. Makes you the same way after awhile. I'll try to tone it down in the future...

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[QUOTE I urge you to consider the way you have a habit of approaching people here on these forums, as this is not the first thread you have acted with this deplorable demeanor.

Must be from living in Rhode Island all my life! Everyone here has that "in your face" attitude. Makes you the same way after awhile. I'll try to tone it down in the future...[/QUOTE]

I can admit as well living in western NY kinda gives you a quick jump to an f you attitude in response. It is hard for me to keep my mouth shut.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

Sound shots take on a whole new meaning when shots are returned.:laughing7: Reminds me of the clip from I believe Crocodile Dundee II (see below).

I was hunting on a moss covered ridgeline in the Northern Mountains in West Virginia back in 1985. It was great as I did not make any noise whatsoever and was able to sneak to a tree within 40 yards of about 5 Deer feeding in behind some bushes. While waiting for the Deer to mosey out where I could see if any were Bucks, I looked into the hollow on my left and there was some guy scoping me with his' loaded rifle. I waved at him to let him know I was a human but he continued to scope me. I turned my' back with full blaze orange on towards him but he still was scoping me. I then leaned out a little from the tree and scoped him with my' loaded rifle and needless to say, he quickly got his' gun off of me.

Frank

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Dude, telling me to grow up is an insult, dude. Just like calling someone a "towel head" is an insult as well, dude.

My issue is people who walk through the woods and blast anything they feel threatened by. Get some stones and stop being afraid of every little creature in the woods.

I know coyotes kill cats, rabbits and those little yipping dogs. Simple solution is to keep your pets indoors at night. If you have chickens, spend some money on fencing that will keep the predators out. Common sense and a decent education goes a long way in this world...
There's not a whole lot I'm afraid of. But I have enough common sense to know that there are dangerous animals in my area and I make sure I'm prepared for whatever happens. I will NOT keep my animals indoors and I will NOT go into the woods without some form of protection. I'm not afraid of guns and I'm not stupid enough to believe they are inherently evil all by themselves and that they kill innocent people and animals all by themselves. I was raised around them and have the proper amount of respect for them. There is a reason Coyotes are considered "predators" and that in some states there is still even a bounty on them. So come down off your soap box and stop with all the anti gun, anti hunting, anti everything attitude and STOP taking a dump on every thread that goes against your liberal beliefs. You have NO clue about me or what I stand for. Hell man, I don't even hunt for food or for sport and I certainly don't "blast everything I feel threatened by" but if I am being threatened I'm not going to be caught offguard. We "get it" that you're one of those folks who likes to stir the pot. It's been a pattern with you for years. As for "every little creature" that's a bit overly dramatic isn't it ? I don't carry a weapon in case I'm attacked by a roving band of squirrels. With that I'm done debating this with you. We will just have to agree to disagree...

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NHBandit, best answer. We'll just have to disagree on this subject.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Coyotes? Really? You have a much higher chance of being injured or killed by a deer, honey bee or a domestic dog than being attacked by a coyote. Heck just driving a car is a lot more dangerous than all those animals put together. Coyotes do not hunt humans. Humans kill coyotes, not the other way around.

Coywolf? Not happening. Neither are wild dogs and coyotes breeding. Coyotes are just what they always have been. Nothing new or more dangerous than a wild fox and a lot less dangerous than your neighborhood dog.

If a wild animal threatens you kill it. That simple. More than likely the animal is sick or has been chummed by idiot neighbors feeding the wildlife. If you don't know how to kill a wild animal you probably shouldn't be recreating in the wild alone or at night. Please don't kill wild animals just because you see them, they are not usually a threat. A snake you can walk away from, a bear just wants you gone, a coyote or a mountain lion are curious animals that want to know what you are up to, they don't want to kill you.

Men are the top predator in the food chain. Coyotes, wolves, bears and wild cats know that. If you don't understand that equation it might be best to stick to raising domestic kittens. :laughing7:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be fair Clay Diggings, many, not most but many, bears disagree about that top predator thing. With black bears it is usually because some neo-hippie tried feeding them. With brown bears, well that's what brown bears do.

Mountain lions just curious? Some dead California joggers and cyclists disagree.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
"Sound shot" I'm going to have to use that one."Miss? Nah, that was just a sound shot."

Man, I am going to have that woods to myself when everybody finds out I take "sound shots".

I guess those shots are very similar to movement shots where some Dumba&% shoots into the bushes when he sees them move. A neighbor's boy in West Virginia said that is what he does when he Deer hunts. I told him, good luck with that and good luck with trying to keep some poor hunter from dying until you can get him to the hospital all because you shot him because the bushes were moving. That is what happened to a good friend who was likely the best fisherman, fishing guide, boat Captain and his own mate from the 1960's until his passing last year. Besides being a Fishing Guide in Montana when he wasn't in Florida, he became a Hunting Guide and on a hunting trip, a client shot him ending his Hunting Guide career/enterprise. Ralph lost part of a lung, part of his' liver and I believe his' spleen all because the client did not verify/identify the target before shooting. Luckily, he was able to recoup enough that he was able resume being a Fishing Guide in Montana and Florida for quite a few years.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
To be fair Clay Diggings, many, not most but many, bears disagree about that top predator thing. With black bears it is usually because some neo-hippie tried feeding them. With brown bears, well that's what brown bears do.

Mountain lions just curious? Some dead California joggers and cyclists disagree.

Yeah, I would like to see how well anyone fairs against a Black Bear, a Brown Bear, Grizzly or even a large Mountain Lion that is hungry, thinks you are a threat to their offspring or one that has been hunted and injured by a human in the past. I don't even venture into my secret Gold Prospecting spot unarmed due to a very large male Cougar being in that area. When I say very large, I say and mean very large as his' paw pad (without the claws included) is as large as the palm of my' hand and I have a large hand.

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread