Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: What do you do with destroyed coins / My biggest "pocket drop" yet

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jul 2017
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 250
    49 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

What do you do with destroyed coins / My biggest "pocket drop" yet

Do you save common coins that are compleatly destroyed and unusable or do you throw them away with your foil and bits of iron trash? I have been saving them because part of me doesn't want to throw them away because it's money. At the same time many of them couldn't even be snuck into rolls or run through a CoinStar machine so they are worthless. The ground in this area seems to eat pennies alive. The ones I find on the beach I understand but these came out of the ground 2-4 inches down and 5 miles from the ocean.

Like I also said in the title this is the largest pocket drop I have ever found. Not in terms of value but the amount of coins. 39 common Lincoln pennies all in a 1 foot area. The few I can read the dates on are from the 70s. All of the ones I can see well enough are not wheat. 28 of them are a compleat loss with missing areas rotted away and the others feel about half their normal weight and like I could probably break them in my hands.

So, what do you do with finds like this? I want to figure out something interesting to do with coins like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170913_224700.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	1494161  
    P.ALLEN, scruggs, Mzjavert and 3 others like this.

us
    Jan 2010
    DFW Texas
    Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
    2172 times
    Zincolns? I put them in the landfill where they belong.
    Tpmetal and Truth1253 like this.

au
    Jun 2017
    Gold Coast Queensland
    AT Pro
    106 times
    How about making windchimes ? Or home made claymore ?

nl
    Sep 2017
    Assen
    Xp deus
    176 times
    Metal Detecting
    Wel i hoard all ugly bad and useles coins wanne put them in old broken jar in mi displaycase some da day this i found in last couple weeks Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0456.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	1494162
    EARL51, P.ALLEN and 4x4x4 like this.

got several pounds of the zincoids, totally worthless other than for showing what our money is worth. being made out of zinc since around 1983 I believe, they deteriorate very quickly in just about any where, water or soil. common real pennies can get pretty toasted due to mineral conditions etc but don't look like they had acid spilled onto them leaving holes etc. the sad part is that every one of them represent a wasted hole, just like a pull tab or any other bit of trash.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Minelabs/Garretts
    1097 times
    I do run them through a rock tumbler to kind of "clean them up" a bit. I have them in a couple of large older mason jars. They are pretty much for say a "show & tell" sort of thing. People who do not detect are really surprised at what happens to these things. The bent, cut or whatever clad and nickels go into a smaller mason, again just for something of interest. Same holds true for what I call "railroad money", flattened coins I spotted all those years working on the tracks, again in another jar, all shapes and sizes, novelty items to look at. Why?, I don't know, but then, why not?
    P.ALLEN and Mzjavert like this.

us
    Stretch

Jan 2017
    XP Déus, White's TPro, Tek Gamma, Garrett Carrot
    823 times
    Metal Detecting
    I get a lot of little kids that come over and ask what I am doing and they usually join me on the hunt so I let them keep all the pennies I find. They have an ear to ear grin when they leave with a handful of pennies so all is good.
    The real junk ones that make it home in my pouch end up in a junk pile that eventually gets tossed... nobody likes to throw away money but those crusty Zincolns are just worthless.
    Tpmetal and P.ALLEN like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2015
    Oklahoma
    4122 times
    Clean em up as best you can and spend them at Walmart. When they say they can't take them just look at them and say that is all you have. They haven't turned them down yet. I'm sure they discard them back into the ground......
    Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. - Tribe Unknown. Those that lie down with dogs, get up with fleas. - Blackfoot

us
    Jun 2017
    A2 Michigan
    Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Headphones, Sun Joe Hori Hori, CMS magnetics, the rest is just mil surplus.
    443 times
    Take them to the bank to exchange(pretty sure they legally have to do that for you(someone correct me if I'm wrong), never had an issue before), though I do wait till I have an amt. that is worth driving there for. I detect to try and find "cool" stuff and supplement the family income with exchanges and sales but most of the time you just get common currency, I use that to supplement my coffee addiction.
    Last edited by P.ALLEN; Sep 14, 2017 at 08:25 AM.
    berg1 and TerryC like this.
    Dum spiro spero

us
    logger/ sawmill operator

Jun 2016
    KENTUCKY
    whites/ bh
    439 times
    You say you found them all close, well some other detectorist has found a way of getting rid of there junk money

Charter Member

Oct 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Currently use CTX, Excalibur Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
    277 times
    Nevermind my post below, you can only get "bullion (metal) value"
    https://www.frbservices.org/operatio..._and_coin.html

But what if I took all my copper pennies & bent them, could I get the copper value instead of face value?

I put all into a jar. One day I'll put them into a priority mail box and send them to the US treasury. They have to review and replace them all and send them back.
    You can get a lot of change into the small box and if I get more then the shipping that's good, but I'm going to do it just because I can't throw money away.
    Last edited by lawsonland; Sep 14, 2017 at 12:53 PM. Reason: error

us
    Apr 2017
    Bay Area, CA
    Tesoro Cibola, XP Deus w/ HF coils, & 11" LF. Land and Sea pinpointer
    499 times
    Make a paper weight by encasing them in an acrylic resin.

Jul 2017
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 250
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsessive View Post
    Make a paper weight by encasing them in an acrylic resin.
    That could be a really neat idea.

us
    Jun 2012
    MA
    M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
    8247 times
    Maybe we could glue 5 of them on a piece of cardboard in various stages of decay, and sell it for a dollar as an educational tool, our eco system in action, recycling metals!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

us
    Jul 2010
    207 times
    Ate up zincs Right in the trash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links