Father Died Leaving A bunch of Detectors. Need info

Pulltab511

Sep 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad died leaving 10 detectors and other items and was wondering if you could help me sort a bit? I have not detected since they were all that green color back in the 70's ;)

Goals:
- identify and keep the "best" one and try to get back in (understanding that if I keep the best one that I'll have to study in order to know how to use it.

- Identify and keep two of the "easier" ones for my two boys (only 1.5 and 3.5 years old. So I would hold them for a couple of years obviously before they could really use them, but still want to be able to give them one of grandpa's detectors.

- Figure out how much to list the rest for sale.

I understand I've only provided the "basics" and am just looking for best guesses. Assume they all function. Thank you so much in advance!

Detectors:
* 1 x Laser Power Max 2 (looks complete)
* 1 x Minelab explorer xs with sun ray X1 probe (looks complete)
* 1 x Fisher m-scope cz-5 quicksilver (looks complete)
* 2 x Troy Shadow x3 (1 complete. 1 only with the arm stabilizer (w/o shaft or coil)
* 4 x Troy Shadow x5 (2 are complete. 1 with only arm stabilizer. One with just the x5 box)
* 1 x Tesoro Tiger Shark (looks complete but one of the ear pads is off the headphones)
* 1 x Blisstool LTC64x (looks complete)
* 2 x old fashion ("green" colored) detectors with discrimination.
* 2 x periscope (pinpointers. One has about a 16" rod. One has no rod)
* 1 x cheaper looking isolator / depth finder
* 1 x coil that looks like it goes to one of the Shadow X3/5 models.
* 1 x extra quicksilver coil (smaller than the quicksilver coil that is currently on the quicksilver detector
* 1 x Garret scanner. (Like TSA uses.)
* 1 x Troy pro headphones
* 1 x "hunter headphones"
* 1 x stealth x-5 sun ray coil (kind of small coil)
* 1 x blosstool e7x9s2d waterproof coil (not round like most cooks. Kind of apple shaped. 7"x9")
* 1 x cheaper looking small coil.
* 1 x box of some random arm stabilizers, detector shafts, headphones, cables, etc.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 Troy Shadow X5's? I'd keep one of those.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would keep the Minelab Explorer XS with the Sunray X1 probe. I believe that Sunray no longer makes the X1 probe. I think they have since gone through the roof on prices on E-bay. Normally the X1 probe alone was about $230.00 dollars. I think I have seen them going for over $300.00 bucks now. Also the Explorer XS should be a decent machine with the X1 probe attached. Sorry, but I don't know much about the rest. My condolences for your father's passing. Below is a link for a Sunray X1 probe and Minelab Explorer II shaft. $325.00 buckaroos! A second link with an auction in the works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunray-X-1-...438922?hash=item4d632df88a:g:9LIAAOSwD6xZturr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunray-Prob...013766?hash=item2f0ba7de86:g:vegAAOSwqd1ZwEFU

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I would keep the Minelab Explorer XS with the Sunray X1 probe. I believe that Sunray no longer makes the X1 probe. I think they have since gone through the roof on prices on E-bay. Normally the X1 probe alone was about $230.00 dollars. I think I have seen them going for over $300.00 bucks now. Also the Explorer XS should be a decent machine with the X1 probe attached. Sorry, but I don't know much about the rest. My condolences for your father's passing. Below is a link for a Sunray X1 probe and Minelab Explorer II shaft. $325.00 buckaroos! A second link with an auction in the works.

Sunray X-1 Probe for Minelab FBS (Explorer/Etrac/Safari) | eBay

Sunray Probe X-1 Refurbished for Minelab SE Explorer New Shaft pinpointer | eBay

You beat me to the draw. The Explorers are very versatile machines. And with the sunray probe, are great fun. The Explorer II was a bit more preferred, but the XS is still sufficient.

Pulltab: If you want to sell the XS + probe, let me know.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tiger Shark is a great freshwater submersible machine. Not sure where I would place the value, somewhere between $300 and $400. Earpiece is easily replaced.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You beat me to the draw. The Explorers are very versatile machines. And with the sunray probe, are great fun. The Explorer II was a bit more preferred, but the XS is still sufficient.

Pulltab: If you want to sell the XS + probe, let me know.

I still own two Explorer II's and have several coils for them. Both have X1 probes and one is a mint condition closet queen in case my field unit should take a dump. I will not part with them as I know they are great units and go deep for that old silver.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about your loss. You can be assured that with that many detectors he spent many happy days participating in the hobby he enjoyed. I'm sure that he would want you to keep at least one.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
The Fisher CZ-5 is a very capable dual frequency machine. :icon_thumleft:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad died leaving 10 detectors and other items and was wondering if you could help me sort a bit? I have not detected since they were all that green color back in the 70's ;)

Goals:
- identify and keep the "best" one and try to get back in (understanding that if I keep the best one that I'll have to study in order to know how to use it.

- Identify and keep two of the "easier" ones for my two boys (only 1.5 and 3.5 years old. So I would hold them for a couple of years obviously before they could really use them, but still want to be able to give them one of grandpa's detectors.

I understand I've only provided the "basics" and am just looking for best guesses. Assume they all function. Thank you so much in advance!

Detectors:
* 2 x Troy Shadow x3 (1 complete. 1 only with the arm stabilizer (w/o shaft or coil)
* 4 x Troy Shadow x5 (2 are complete. 1 with only arm stabilizer. One with just the x5 box)
* 1 x Tesoro Tiger Shark (looks complete but one of the ear pads is off the headphones)
* 1 x extra quicksilver coil (smaller than the quicksilver coil that is currently on the quicksilver detector
* 1 x blosstool e7x9s2d waterproof coil (not round like most cooks. Kind of apple shaped. 7"x9")
* 1 x box of some random arm stabilizers, detector shafts, headphones, cables, etc.

Sorry about your Dad.
He def, had the Detecting bug.

Got to run now but will check back later.
GL

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the older "green" detector is probably some model of Garrett. They went through a "blue" phase, into "green" and then into black

If you can post a pic of it, we can better ID it for you

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where are you located and what kind of detecting is your passion?

If you are a relic guy I'd keep the Troy Shadow 5 and the Blisstool

If you are a coin shooter I'd keep the Minelab, the fisher CZ 5

If you want to hunt salt water beaches I'd keep the minelab and the Tesoro Tiger Shark. Just know that the only truly waterproof detector on your list is the Tiger Shark. The others have waterproof coils only.

The 2 best machines for my type of hunting would be the Minelab and the CZ 5.

All the detectors listed are too complicated & too heavy for both of your son's.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with Kurious, Minelab Explorer series are very good detectors! :icon_thumright:

utahzach

Jul 4, 2022

Goals:

Detectors:
Little late. Wondering if you still have cz-5. And would sell it.

Caildageon

Greenie
May 16, 2017
Cedar City, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab GoldMonster 1000, GoldBug Pro, White's Spectrum XLT, Minelab Vanquish
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry for your loss and hope you find solace in continuing your fathers legacy and your passion in Treasure hunting and as a detectorist! Try them all, see what fits you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread