Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found an early Buffalo, a SLQ, and a late 1800s IHP. Thats it from the dirt.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found much older coins at Yard sales and Thrift stores. I found a 1787 fugio cent club rays in the bottom of a wood box at a yard sale once. I couldn't bring myself to ask how much for fear that they wouldn't sell it. I couldn't steal it either. So I asked them how much for the whole box of junk. ( It was an estate person running the show or it would have been different) $5 and it was mine. Plucked out the penny and chucked the rest of it in the trash.

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1887 IHP , dug it out of a curb strip here in the town I live in. I was happy as it predated my oldest find by almost 20 years.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found much older coins at Yard sales and Thrift stores. I found a 1787 fugio cent club rays in the bottom of a wood box at a yard sale once. I couldn't bring myself to ask how much for fear that they wouldn't sell it. I couldn't steal it either. So I asked them how much for the whole box of junk. ( It was an estate person running the show or it would have been different) $5 and it was mine. Plucked out the penny and chucked the rest of it in the trash.

Trdking, great score!! A few weeks ago the wife and I attended an estate auction, as the ad disclosed there were s many coins, rolls of coins, coin memorabilia etc..that there would be a separate auction ring for coins only. I was disappointed as most of the rolls of coins were clad...a lot of clad proof sets etc...the rolls of Roosevelt and Mercury dimes went above what I pay around here, so I passed...what I DID want tho, was the 1818 Capped Bust Half dollar, in great shape with slight toning and didn't appear to have been cleaned...I set a limit of $50 on it and got it for $47. Maybe a little high, but I wanted it and got it. But...what I'm getting to, is...at the end, all the coins were gone and there was a big pile of CoinAge magazines from the 70's, dozens of plastic coin tubes, hundreds of coin flips, cigar boxes full of crap like that. There was a small baggie of date-less Buffalo's in one cigar box. I bought the whole enchilada for $16. On the way home I'm rootin' thru this stuff, I inspect the bag of Buffalo's...lo and behold-half of them are V nickels!! In excellent shape...then I find an aluminum cigar tube...I shake it...O M G....I hear shhk shhk shhk...the unmistakable sound of coins clacking together. I opened it up and dumped it out in my hand, about 30 coins slid out, 1 silver Roosevelt dime, wheat pennies and Indian Head cents!!! Noticed right away the silver color of 8 of the wheats, they were 1943 steel cents! I think I done very well on that $16 dollar investment, it's not a $5 Fugio lol, but I can relate to your excitement. Great save, Ddf.

OP
OP
hbru123

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Trdking, great score!! A few weeks ago the wife and I attended an estate auction, as the ad disclosed there were s many coins, rolls of coins, coin memorabilia etc..that there would be a separate auction ring for coins only. I was disappointed as most of the rolls of coins were clad...a lot of clad proof sets etc...the rolls of Roosevelt and Mercury dimes went above what I pay around here, so I passed...what I DID want tho, was the 1818 Capped Bust Half dollar, in great shape with slight toning and didn't appear to have been cleaned...I set a limit of $50 on it and got it for $47. Maybe a little high, but I wanted it and got it. But...what I'm getting to, is...at the end, all the coins were gone and there was a big pile of CoinAge magazines from the 70's, dozens of plastic coin tubes, hundreds of coin flips, cigar boxes full of crap like that. There was a small baggie of date-less Buffalo's in one cigar box. I bought the whole enchilada for $16. On the way home I'm rootin' thru this stuff, I inspect the bag of Buffalo's...lo and behold-half of them are V nickels!! In excellent shape...then I find an aluminum cigar tube...I shake it...O M G....I hear shhk shhk shhk...the unmistakable sound of coins clacking together. I opened it up and dumped it out in my hand, about 30 coins slid out, 1 silver Roosevelt dime, wheat pennies and Indian Head cents!!! Noticed right away the silver color of 8 of the wheats, they were 1943 steel cents! I think I done very well on that $16 dollar investment, it's not a $5 Fugio lol, but I can relate to your excitement. Great save, Ddf.

That's so cool!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread