So what do you do with all the "stuff" you dig?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrap unidentifiable iron and aluminum goes back in a trash receptacle. Non silver coins go in a quart mason jar, filled up one already this year. Silver junk coins go in a little mug, Jewelry goes in zippy bags, and eventually in a safe deposit box as well as anything else valuable, which occasionally happens. CW or other historic items in riker mounts by site. Good quality coins, in individual holders. I don't find much of those. Big iron CW by site in small plastic tubs. Lead sinkers I either give back to fishermen I walk by or go in a jug. Don't know what to do with them yet. Got about 10 pounds.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a heads up for others who are melting those big sinkers for bullet casting - many contain zinc, which will ruin all the lead in your pot, corrode your molds, and cause your casts not to fill out...

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great question! So far (2 years) I am keeping a log book of locations and finds, take a dated photo and keep that in a binder. I have kept most finds except trash. Finds are organized in baggies: pennies, zincolns, nickels, dimes, quarters, old coins...each bagged separately with notes, foreign coins, tokens, musket balls, bullets, fishing weights/lures dog tags, jewelry, odd/unusual pieces, even a baggie of pull tabs as many are historical.....Some larger baggies have items from particular sites to keep them together....especially if it seems historical...for future donation. A box is getting full of various metal to hopefully recycle. I have a box of interesting iron pieces that could be made into interesting art ...someday :). Much of it lives on my counter and hall and is in the way...Still figuring that out. Thanks to all for sharing.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stuff that really has no value but is too good to throw away [and that is a wide group of objects from keys to horseshoes to model cars to chucky cheese tokens and a whole lot more] I save in a big plastic bin that is literally overflowing as we speak.
When I croak it will probably be tossed out to the curb 1st garbage night.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread