Contest - Huge Marcia Otacilia Severa roman Sestertius to win!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After I dug my first IHP, I wanted to clean it SO BAD...it was somewhat crusty and I was still all hopped up on a double dose of adrenaline so I busted out the.....w..i..r..e b..r..u..s..h.. Not good, lol. My hunting buddy said if he ever seen me with another wire brush, he'd gouge my eyes out with it. I've heard about these "cleaning pencils"...but this is the most I've seen besides that. Gotta beat a wire brush, I'd say. Heck, I'd bite, I've blown twenty bucks in a lot worse ways. Ddf.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are made of compacted steel wool and simply steel wool for the brush pencil. As I said, they are very versatile, more than regular H2B pencils would be. Also, their point is tougher than graphite which helps with hard crusts on coins. They also don't leave any graphite on the coins that you potentially would have to clean afterwards. If speaking of copper coins, water should clearly not be used. And contrary to what many people think, olive oil is not the way to go. (Even the British Museum published something on the matter)
You can watch back the video I made when cleaning an IHP, they don't leave a mark either. (I was using a 250x USB microscope)
Now, at the end of the day, you can't save what wasn't there in the first place, and you do have to know how to read a coin before you apply any method. I am not saying either that the pencils (whichever they are) are the miracle method and there is more than one way to clean a coin, based on its shape. The person applying the method and making decisions on how to best clean a coin is to be blamed, whatever happens. Whatever works for somebody is what they should go with.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I could have found that out sooner if I had read the description under the eBay listing. ::) Sounds like an interesting product.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Well I have been living in the US for over 10 years now and I am originally French. I metal detect both in France and in the US. I do find roman coins in France and I love finding IHPs here. By the way the pencils work great on those too. My oldest find in the US is a 1696 William III silver shilling. My oldest in France is a "Massilia Obol" (silver, Greek colony of what is now the city of Marseille in France), 4th to 3rd century BC. I have been using the pencils on coins from France, Italy, Spain, England, Argentina, and the US. Never disappointed. But hey, what do I know, you might have a problem with that too. lol

Now, I am not necessarily here to be judgmental or agressive towards others, or make things become personal. I would appreciate the same in return. It is a courteous forum here as far as I know. Have a good day Sir.

What really chaps by back side is this; supporting vendors has its own section, that's where your advertisement/contests should be (and obviously is). There is nothing about your post that constitutes General Discussion, it's nothing more than you pushing your product in the wrong sub-forum. I understand why you post it here though as I'm certain that you're not generating any sales in the proper sub-forum. And in all the years that I've been on this site and all the years I've been restoring my own finds, I've never heard a soul recommend this product. Judgmental, perhaps, aggressive, no, personal, yes. I would respectfully ask that you accept some criticism inasmuch as you accept the accolades.

OP
OP
R

RestoringYourFinds

Apr 11, 2012
Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What really chaps by back side is this; supporting vendors has its own section, that's where your advertisement/contests should be (and obviously is). There is nothing about your post that constitutes General Discussion, it's nothing more than you pushing your product in the wrong sub-forum. I understand why you post it here though as I'm certain that you're not generating any sales in the proper sub-forum. And in all the years that I've been on this site and all the years I've been restoring my own finds, I've never heard a soul recommend this product. Judgmental, perhaps, aggressive, no, personal, yes. I would respectfully ask that you accept some criticism inasmuch as you accept the accolades.

Fair enough. If not appropriate in this section, I respectfully ask that admins remove the post or move it to the appropriate section.
Now, I don't understand why the fact that you have never heard of any soul recommending this product makes the pencils a bad thing to advertise. Before things are known, they can't be spoken about. The pencils, as a matter of fact, are rather new to the US. They have been in existence for a while though but it all started in France. Takes some time to reach other countries. What is wrong with that? But should it allow you to say that they're crap while you have never even tried them out? How can you speak about them without experience?

I am pretty open minded and do accept criticism. I have no problem with that. But - and I may be wrong - I do not see any constructive criticism when I read the following comments:

1320 said:
My .99 cent tooth brush works pretty good, no way would I consider buying a freaking cleaning pencil, are you kidding me? Best of luck, there's a sucker born every minute!

1320 said:
Not too many 1700 year old coins in anybody's backyards except yours.

Again, you have never tried them but you already know better. Constructive criticism? Open mindedness?

The pencils have received a pretty fair amount of positive feedback in many places and from many people. I welcome the fact that you and I maybe do not share the same opinion. I respect yours and hopefully you respect mine.

OP
OP
R

RestoringYourFinds

Apr 11, 2012
Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Last but not least... Here is a list of some of the pencils distributors in the world. It's not even complete as there are more now, and in other countries such as the Netherlands.
They've heard of them and some of them have been selling them for years. If the pencils were such a bad item, they would not have been in existence for so long. But as I said in a previous post, to each his/her own method. If yours is the toothbrush, that is certainly fine with me.

Distributors ? Restoring Your Finds ? Metal Detecting

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the US it's illegal to require a purchase to enter a drawing.

OP
OP
R

RestoringYourFinds

Apr 11, 2012
Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Champ is correct, all sorts of legal issues here

Thanks for the knowledge. Truly appreciate. My bad and I shall review this. My understanding is that it was considered a sweepstake. I am reviewing articles now to figure this out precisely. Again, thanks.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never take a toothbrush to a rare coin worth $$$$$.... EVER.
I have Yet to find one but I do know someone who did find one in Romania

EB87836A-601B-43E4-896C-BE84507C4E9F.jpeg

I find it odd that other members in this forum would put down supporting vendors and the moderators don’t say anything about it.

OP
OP
R

RestoringYourFinds

Apr 11, 2012
Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For information, I modified the contest on my group. It is now a regular giveaway/sweepstake, with no purchase necessary. All that is needed is to answer a simple question on my Facebook group. Thanks for bringing this up to my attention. I truly appreciate as I always do my best to comply to all rules. Thanks

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I joined your group and just bought one of your sets!

I'm not sure why you're the focus of so much petty small-minded nit-picky criticism here, but I for one appreciate the contest and the reminder that I needed a set. My business has been taking off so I've been "investing" in gobs of ancient artifacts and Greek/Roman/Byzantine coins, and have many days worth of cleaning that needs to be done on what I've been accumulating.

I also hope to get some help from your facebook group soon regarding preserving ancient iron items. Over a year ago I posted a question here about how to stabilize an ancient Celtic Iron Age sword and spear and have gotten literally 0 suggestions, so I appreciate you advertising your products and group, both will be helpful to me.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For information, I modified the contest on my group. It is now a regular giveaway/sweepstake, with no purchase necessary. All that is needed is to answer a simple question on my Facebook group. Thanks for bringing this up to my attention. I truly appreciate as I always do my best to comply to all rules. Thanks

Good Luck.

OP
OP
R

RestoringYourFinds

Apr 11, 2012
Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I joined your group and just bought one of your sets!

I'm not sure why you're the focus of so much petty small-minded nit-picky criticism here, but I for one appreciate the contest and the reminder that I needed a set. My business has been taking off so I've been "investing" in gobs of ancient artifacts and Greek/Roman/Byzantine coins, and have many days worth of cleaning that needs to be done on what I've been accumulating.

I also hope to get some help from your facebook group soon regarding preserving ancient iron items. Over a year ago I posted a question here about how to stabilize an ancient Celtic Iron Age sword and spear and have gotten literally 0 suggestions, so I appreciate you advertising your products and group, both will be helpful to me.

I am sure you will get quite a few answers regarding iron artifacts! Thanks for your kind message.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Fair enough. If not appropriate in this section, I respectfully ask that admins remove the post or move it to the appropriate section.
Now, I don't understand why the fact that you have never heard of any soul recommending this product makes the pencils a bad thing to advertise. Before things are known, they can't be spoken about. The pencils, as a matter of fact, are rather new to the US. They have been in existence for a while though but it all started in France. Takes some time to reach other countries. What is wrong with that? But should it allow you to say that they're crap while you have never even tried them out? How can you speak about them without experience?

I am pretty open minded and do accept criticism. I have no problem with that. But - and I may be wrong - I do not see any constructive criticism when I read the following comments:

Again, you have never tried them but you already know better. Constructive criticism? Open mindedness?

The pencils have received a pretty fair amount of positive feedback in many places and from many people. I welcome the fact that you and I maybe do not share the same opinion. I respect yours and hopefully you respect mine.

You're a supporting vendor...lol, and with that comes privilege..lol! I cannot fault you for posting in General Discussion, I'd do the same. Best of luck.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Disclaimer: I paid for these, and don't know this dude.

Hey RYF... I received my package of pencils this weekend.

I am awarding you my Seal of Approval (pic attached)! I know that I should have had a before pic of the coin, but sometimes I get ahead of myself. This 2 center was nasty, and the pencils got it clean. Worked well on an IHC too.

EDIT: I found a "before" pic.

The products works as described, and works better than anything I have used before. Best $20 MDing item I have purchased in a long time.

Thanks for the excellent customer service and best of luck to you sir!

Attachments

• IMG_20171029_193202.jpg
    IMG_20171029_193202.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Seal.jpg
    Seal.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20170421_182324_872-1-1.jpg
    IMG_20170421_182324_872-1-1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, not sure if you are from the US and I don't know what types of pencils other countries might use, but I'm talking about standard HB2 graphite/clay core, wood encased writing pencils.

Maybe what I should be asking is: What makes your pencils different than the type of pencil that I just described? What is the core made of? What is the hardness? What is it about them that will perform better for me than what I am currently using?

It don't hurt to want details.
Guess we could do more research but I'm to lazy , Still reading the post as I been wondering about these 'Pencils'.
The Brass scraper scares me but so does Driving 'Non-Aggressively' on our local Raceway's .

The contest is a good way to get the word out , maybe give a couple away for T-netters to Review. Not Me tho.
As I don't write , do pictures or videos well.
GL Hope you or someone can talk me into buying some .
Nothing wrong with trying to make a $ , it's the American Way.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After I dug my first IHP, I wanted to clean it SO BAD...it was somewhat crusty and I was still all hopped up on a double dose of adrenaline so I busted out the.....w..i..r..e b..r..u..s..h.. Not good, lol. My hunting buddy said if he ever seen me with another wire brush, he'd gouge my eyes out with it. I've heard about these "cleaning pencils"...but this is the most I've seen besides that. Gotta beat a wire brush, I'd say. Heck, I'd bite, I've blown twenty bucks in a lot worse ways. Ddf.

Another 'tool in the Box' is always good to have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread