Where can I metal detect?

bloovey

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Ottawa Canada and I can't find anywhere to metal detect. Everything either belongs to the government or is private property. There is only a few beaches in my area and I've been there many times. I would like to find somewhere new to metal detect like uncharted territory. I even put up an ad to get permission to metal detect on private property but no luck. I want to find real big treasure somewhere on planet earth! I've heard now companies want to mine asteroids rich with massive amounts of precious metals and other planets where it rains diamonds worth tonnes of money!

I love metal detecting, it is very fun not knowing what kind of treasure I might find but I always feel like I'm doing something illegal.

I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Search online for old photos of your area to see what may have been in your area that is now gone. Use the library too for research. You'll have a better idea of what you may be looking for.
Instead of running an ad, get out and talk to people and try to engage them in the history of their area and offer to share finds with them from their property.
Donate interesting finds to your local museum to share in that history.
The more you know the better it will get.
Good luck!

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahhh...that's where the research part kicks in. I doubt you'll find many people who will tell you where the treasure is buried. Ask around for permissions, (placing an ad won't cut it) hit the library for old maps, and scour the internet for leads in and around your location. And by all means, check T Net for info on your area as well! Good luck and happy hunting!

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Search online for old photos of your area to see what may have been in your area that is now gone. Use the library too for research. You'll have a better idea of what you may be looking for.
Instead of running an ad, get out and talk to people and try to engage them in the history of their area and offer to share finds with them from their property.
Donate interesting finds to your local museum to share in that history.
The more you know the better it will get.
Good luck!

Rusty-Great minds think alike! :laughing7:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your from the area, ask to hunt relatives yards. Most opf my best finds came from older yards in town. Of course many have been hunted since the 70's, but not all.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you check to see if city and provincial parks allow detecting. Sometimes it just comes down to dressing nice and knocking on someone's front door.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread