How would you feel if they phased out pennies ?

Should pennies be phased out from circulation ?

• Total voters

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a very interesting article about cashless countries and the percentage of people that have ATM cards

1321DC21-0227-45BB-B3E5-A7B42F9071CA.jpeg

Top Countries Using Digital Money For Cashless Transactions - WorldAtlas.com

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't phase them out, just stop making NINE BILLION of them every year! We have enough pennies in circulation to satisfy "demand" for another 100 years, so just stop making them!

By the way, the main reason they won't get rid of the penny is because of sales tax. My state charges 7% sales tax. If you phased out pennies, that sales tax would have to go down to 5% or up to 10%. Guess which one my state would pick, if they had to make a choice? You guessed it, they'd jack up the sales tax to 10%! No way would people be willing to pay 10% sales tax, so we're stuck with the penny for now.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not as bad as you think. Pay with a $20 bill and get back a $10, a $5, a twoonie, a loonie, and a couple of quarters, a dime and a nickel.
The only one walking around with their pants falling down is the detectorist who just found a boatload of coins!
Honestly, I think there should be another poll with people's age added to it. No offense.
I wouldn't be surprised that those who still like pennies are from an older generation. Not all, but most.
Being in my mid 40's, I never saw the rewards of keeping pennies. I started detecting in 1987, the year $1 coins came out.
All through the 1990's I saw younger generations chucking handfuls of pennies everywhere because they're useless and a joke to them.
Still waiting for the $5 coin to come out!
Sometimes "change" is good. :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't phase them out, just stop making NINE BILLION of them every year! We have enough pennies in circulation to satisfy "demand" for another 100 years, so just stop making them!

By the way, the main reason they won't get rid of the penny is because of sales tax. My state charges 7% sales tax. If you phased out pennies, that sales tax would have to go down to 5% or up to 10%. Guess which one my state would pick, if they had to make a choice? You guessed it, they'd jack up the sales tax to 10%! No way would people be willing to pay 10% sales tax, so we're stuck with the penny for now.

Hmm, wondering since when taxpayers pay what they are willing.
Yeah there'd be a ruckus, when the dust settles you would have no choice but to pony up - You'd get used to it, then people 20 years down the road will yearn for the days people only paid 10% when they are paying 20.

Point being, taxpayers feelings are not going to be taken into account but your point is valid. As mentioned earlier, some finances would have to be rounded to eliminate under 5 and between 6 and 10.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The voice of experience.

Dollar coins will catch on very nicely as long as you phase out the dollar bill at the same time. I'm all for it + doing the same for the $5 bill.
Tell me as a detectorist that you don't want to find $5 coins instead of quarters! :headbang:
Never going to happen in the great United States, we do not want any coins in our pockets.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they get rid of the sales tax and make all pull tabs out of gold they can keep the zinc cents, coppers are mine.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread