How would you feel if they phased out pennies ?

Should pennies be phased out from circulation ?

• Total voters

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Think about it. Do you want a pocket full of dollars coins?

No, what has that got to do with phasing out pennies anyhow ?

$$ coinage has never caught on in modern times, I think it would be very nice if they started making silver plated $5 coins, hell even $20.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't miss pennies if the mint stops production. I will continue to dig L.C.'s & IHP's.
I think it would be great to introduce a $2 coin.
I have always laughed at the treasure hunting saying,,
"I won't bend over to pick up a dime,, but I'll dig 8" for a penny"
I do not want dollars in my pockets. Most people do not want the weight of these coins in their pockets.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many people who pay the mint for rolls and bags on new pennies far more then face value. That is why the mint will keep making them.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a Canadian I find some of these comments hilarious. You think $1 and $2 coins are really that heavy? Going to weigh down your pockets? Won't catch on in modern times? Okay, stop now, my sides are starting to hurt from laughter. ��

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a Canadian I find some of these comments hilarious. You think $1 and $2 coins are really that heavy? Going to weigh down your pockets? Won't catch on in modern times? Okay, stop now, my sides are starting to hurt from laughter. ��

They have never caught on in modern times, only time I ever see them in circulation is at remote parking stalls, put in a $20 bill and it will spit out $10 in metal coinage.
Hard to even know what to do with them, even some tellers at stores are very awkward accepting them ,having no place in the register for them.

Glad you find it humorous, its just a simple fact that is not likely to change.

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
^The only reason dollar coins have not caught on here in the US is that they keep making dollar bills. If they stopped then everyone would have no choice but to use the coins. I believe that is what England did with their one pound note.

As for pennies I would adapt but it would really bug the OCD side of me that would want every cash transaction to be "correct" and exact. With that said, I rarely use cash anymore, I put everything on the credit card and pay it off every month both out of convenience and to get the card points which I then cash in.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drop the pennies and the $1 bills, then give us a $1 coin to replace the paper bills, and a $2 or $3 coin that isn't ugly as homemade sin, and that are intended to circulate, get lost, and be found by the chosen few...

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The voice of experience.

Dollar coins will catch on very nicely as long as you phase out the dollar bill at the same time. I'm all for it + doing the same for the $5 bill.
Tell me as a detectorist that you don't want to find $5 coins instead of quarters! :headbang:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The voice of experience.
Tell me as a detectorist that you don't want to find $5 coins instead of quarters! :headbang:

That would be AWESOME however I do strongly believe that ALL coins and cash are on their way out. Metal detecting will be the ONLY way to get coins in the future.

Cheers

:occasion14:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, what has that got to do with phasing out pennies anyhow ?

$$ coinage has never caught on in modern times, I think it would be very nice if they started making silver plated $5 coins, hell even $20.
I agree with you about coins dollars will never catch on. People rather carry paper dollars and not coins.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have never caught on in modern times, only time I ever see them in circulation is at remote parking stalls, put in a $20 bill and it will spit out $10 in metal coinage.
Hard to even know what to do with them, even some tellers at stores are very awkward accepting them ,having no place in the register for them.

Glad you find it humorous, its just a simple fact that is not likely to change.
I agree with your facts. Most people use debit and credit cards and very little need for paper and coins dollars. Thanks for your information.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be AWESOME however I do strongly believe that ALL coins and cash are on their way out. Metal detecting will be the ONLY way to get coins in the future.

Cheers

I very much doubt that the cashless society the banks desire will be accepted by the majority of consumers anytime soon. Many would choose a barter system or some alternative currency before they let it come down to the banks holding not just some of their customers money, but ALL of it.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You sounds like you are drunk, get help. The United States one dollars coins had never been caught on, and the mints have millions of them in storage because there are very little demand for them as the records show. People use debit and credit cards and have very little need for coins and paper dollars. Also people carry keys and phones and loose change in their pockets. My head hurts from your insults.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,
For what it's worth Canada phased out producing pennies in 2000, however, the banks are still obligated to accepted them in roles and send them in for melting.

Insofar as people being afraid of getting short changed financially they either average up or down to the closest 5 cent increment and that's only on the total bill not on each item.....so it's probably a wash at the end of the day.

Regards + HH

Bill

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cheers

You may be right in the future, since most people use credit and debit cards to purchase items.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I very much doubt that the cashless society the banks desire.... Many would choose a barter system or some alternative currency before they let it come down to the banks holding not just some of their customers money, but ALL of it.

I couldn’t agree with you more in regards to barter. Here is a law that the “Banksters”snuck in:

Is it legal for a business in the United States to refuse cash as a form of payment?

Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," states: "United States coins and currency [including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks] are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above is a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law which says otherwise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread