Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Sneaky thief

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2015
    Virginia
    Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
    746 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Sneaky thief

I build bird feeders and enjoy watching all the birds through the living room door. I have one the I put two suet cages on. Wood peckers enjoy them. I have found them on the ground and empty twice over the last week or so. I have a guard on the post so the squirrels cant get to the feeders. No way a raccoon of any other critter could get to them. I caught the culprit this morning. About 6am. this morning at first light, two crows landed on top of the feeder and managed to unhook the chain holding the suet cages. The hooks are very small and are hooked on a 1/4" eye bolt. Once they drop them on the ground, three of there buddies join in on the feast empty it fast. These two crows hang almost upside down and unhooked the chain. I'm trying to get them on video but anyone who know crows, they are slick and any movement scares them off. Now I have to figure out how to out smart crows.

Charter Member
    us
    Classic car lover

Jul 2017
    some where in the great state of Texas
    Teknectics eurotek pro bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2 used a teroso compadre. Carry a 22 cal. six-shooter.
    8071 times
    coin roll hunting,shooting,Metal Detecting, swimming,
    Banner Finds (1)
    double barrel 12 gauge with doubled ought buck shot

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    14683 times
    The one everybody else missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by lookingharder View Post
    I build bird feeders and enjoy watching all the birds through the living room door. I have one the I put two suet cages on. Wood peckers enjoy them. I have found them on the ground and empty twice over the last week or so. I have a guard on the post so the squirrels cant get to the feeders. No way a raccoon of any other critter could get to them. I caught the culprit this morning. About 6am. this morning at first light, two crows landed on top of the feeder and managed to unhook the chain holding the suet cages. The hooks are very small and are hooked on a 1/4" eye bolt. Once they drop them on the ground, three of there buddies join in on the feast empty it fast. These two crows hang almost upside down and unhooked the chain. I'm trying to get them on video but anyone who know crows, they are slick and any movement scares them off. Now I have to figure out how to out smart crows.
    VERY intelligent bird.You ever watch you tube videos of them?
    ​EVER WONDER WHERE YOUR THOUGHTS COME FROM ?

Anger is what keeps you emotionally lost in your head and blind to reality.

A lie doesn't become the truth just because people believe it.

​7 minutes could change your lif​e...
    http://antidoteforall.com/

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /Garrett pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    3405 times
    Get a couple 2 liter bottles cut the bottoms out of both put the suet in the center with a hole big enough for the woodpeckers to get in.Make some kind of perch for them so they can eat that might work.Play around with the design until you figure what works.
    back of the boat

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    9475 times
    Metal Detecting
    Crows are clever. They actually have found that crows (and ravens) will fashion twigs or leaves into tools and place them somewhere for reuse - which brings them up with us and apes as "intelligent" tool using beings.

They also recognize and remember faces.

Might be worth some suet to make friends. Someday, when you've fallen down a well . . . "Crows - go get help!"
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox
    7615 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    my grandfather was fighting a losing war with crows pulling up his shoots of corn. they would walk down a row and pull every one of them up. He would race outside with his shotgun and they would already be flying, they have sentries watching. So, I had him to take out his bathroom window screen and to keep the lights off. The next time he caught them out in the garden, I had him stand back a little ways from the actual window so no barrel would be sticking out and he waited until he caught three of them bunched together, got them all with one shot. he left them hanging around garden, no more problems. When they want to, they can mimic other birds as well as other animals, they live to be pretty old and are very intelligent. however, sometimes when a crow is crippled, they will try to come to it's aid no matter what and this is what people that crow hunt count on. A pellet is all it takes if you can manage it but it requires stealth and being hidden. I have watched them come in one after another and grab a snake's tail or peck at the back end of it to get it to leave an area, usually works. They are quite the thieves as well, they like shiny stuff or anything else that catches their eyes. They do some good as well, eating a lot of grubs in pastures etc but because of their other nature, very disliked around gardens etc.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Feb 2015
    Virginia
    Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
    746 times
    Know why you never see a dead crow in the road? There's always one in a tree yelling CAA CAA CAA.

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    14683 times
    The one everybody else missed.
    Know why you never see a dead crow in the road? There's always one in a tree yelling CAA CAA CAA.
    They must be from Maine.
    GA_Boy, dsdigger and Terry Soloman like this.
    ​EVER WONDER WHERE YOUR THOUGHTS COME FROM ?

Anger is what keeps you emotionally lost in your head and blind to reality.

A lie doesn't become the truth just because people believe it.

​7 minutes could change your lif​e...
    http://antidoteforall.com/

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    4951 times
    I think that is a New England crow!!

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    4951 times
    You can split a Crow's tongue and teach it to talk. A not so nice gentleman on the road across the hill from where I grew up until I was thirteen years old had two of them and they could make a Sailor blush with their foul mouths. I would hunt on an old road that paralleled the man's property and the two Crows would call me everything in the book.

Charter Member
    us
    Classic car lover

Jul 2017
    some where in the great state of Texas
    Teknectics eurotek pro bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2 used a teroso compadre. Carry a 22 cal. six-shooter.
    8071 times
    coin roll hunting,shooting,Metal Detecting, swimming,
    Banner Finds (1)
    good night that is weird

us
    Sep 2004
    Southern California
    MXT/ Sunray probe
    118 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by gold boy View Post
    good night that is weird
    Not only weird but totally not true! Splitting a birds tongue to get it to talk is a very old myth.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT MAX/AT PRO/Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche diggers, and the custom made Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    2190 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have found my suet cages hundreds of yards from the house, but I am not picky what type of critters I end up feeding, deer, coins, squirrels, birds, the stray neighbors kids, all are welcome

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    9475 times
    Metal Detecting
    We get all kinds as well. Woodpeckers (four varieties), chickadees, chickens (our own), and occasionally flying squirrels at night.
    gold boy, pepperj and dsdigger like this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    16299 times
    Relic Hunting
    A crow stole my Grandfather's pocket watch in a lumber camp. They never found it, but saw it take it off a table.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links