Northwest Ohio/Findlay Ohio

TheRitchieTV

Feb 27, 2018
Forest, OH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know of any good places to metal detect in Northwestern Ohio? So around Findlay area? Lima/Kenton area. I live just right outside of Forest. If anyone that is reading this also lives near Forest/Findlay I would love to maybe meet up and metal detect together! I'm new to this and really enjoy it! No one around here (at least in my area here in the country) likes to give permission to detect their fields. Too stuck up and rude. Would be nice to have someone local to share the interest in Metal Detecting. Maybe even get a club started!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
A good starting place would be to take a look at Sub-Forums: Ohio for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone know of any good places to metal detect in Northwestern Ohio? So around Findlay area? Lima/Kenton area. I live just right outside of Forest. If anyone that is reading this also lives near Forest/Findlay I would love to maybe meet up and metal detect together! I'm new to this and really enjoy it! No one around here (at least in my area here in the country) likes to give permission to detect their fields. Too stuck up and rude. Would be nice to have someone local to share the interest in Metal Detecting. Maybe even get a club started!

I can sympathize with many farmers who have people rabbit hunting on their property without permission, while others walk through their fields looking for arrow heads (without permission). Since you are new to the hobby maybe it's just your approach or how you present yourself when door knocking. I must admit that I do hunt fields, but not that often. Most farmers I have cold knocked have given me permission to hunt, both their yards and fields. Just know that this hobby has been around since the 1970's in many areas and maybe they just had a bad experience with someone detecting on their farm or neighboring farms without permission in the past. Remember one oh-**** can wipe away 100 atta-boys.

As for someone giving you a precise location to hunt, you are more likely going to get general locations such as local schools, public parks, etc. If I was inclined to fish, I would know of some places to bait the hook before I bought the gear. Good Luck on your endeavor.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can see you are a young man, I would like to suggest that you research local history to assist in finding sites that produce the treasure you are seeking. The internet has made the history much more accessible for many areas. I am blessed to be in a small town that a local historian blogs about, we have a "then and now page" that has plenty of old pictures of the vicinity as well as a local museum which I found a link to some very old pics.

A couple years ago I found a county history book online, it's full of info to include where many of the 1st organized fairs were held back in the mid 1800's. There are plenty of old maps available online and heck you can check out a site from your computer using google maps satellite view.

I like to catch property owners outside when seeking permissions. This allows you to start some small talk and to identify if it's a good time to ask or not. I have offered up some free labor to older home owners to secure permission.

If you are from the area, I'd get permission to hunt friends and family yards and see if they can get you some permissions through their friends and acquaintances.

Good Luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread