Murphy’s Laws of Treasure Hunting....An all Inclusive Thread

Justin1978

Jul 11, 2018
Proctor, AR
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter gold digger.... HEY!!!! it was all i could afford
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good gracious, I'm arachnophobic! I tend to dance around swatting all over me. Nowadays I carry a long stick to clear the way in front of me.....

I don't go anywhere w/o my machete, but there is only so long i can sword fight an invisible man in the forest. Most of the time I just hope the spider wasn't home when I wrecked his house.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Driving 30 miles to hunt Deer only to find that you left home without the bullets to your' rifle. Drive another 10 miles to a gas station that does Game check-ins and carries ammo but only carries a higher grain of bullet than what you shoot, buy the bullets anyways. Then drive back the 10 miles to hunt, hike 5 miles into the National Forest but see nothing but Gray Squirrels and West Virginia Mountain Lions (actually Chipmunks that sound like Mountain Lions in dry leaves).

Last edited:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking newbs detecting, I love it. Usually they get bored bcoz they're not digging 24k rings, dubloons and pieces of 8....exception: my neighbor seems interested..COOL! So I arm him with my ATP, pinpointer with a fresh new 9v battery and a hand digger. We go to a place that he knows of, and was actually a nice looking old farm. Sooo...less than 5 minutes he says he's got a good signal, I scan it...91 91 92 92...Uh yes dig that I say. He pops a GORGEOUS 1880 Morgan...O M G...I bout puked. This guy is virtually in his FIRST 5 MINUTES of his detecting career and his second target is a Morgan. I told him he needed to play the Lotto. Ddf.

Cajun Detector

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2018
Slidell,Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,Garrett Pro AT, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cajuns believe in Boudreaux's law. Boudreaux thought that Murphy was an optimist:laughing7:

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get everything unloaded, get my tool belt on, my bags where I want them, my digger and pinpointer where I want them, hat adjusted just right, turn on my detector, get it ground balanced, them BOOM! Gotta poop.

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ain’t that the truth!....it’s happened so many times, when I tell my wife I’m going detecting, she says, “ok, see you in 10 minuets”

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You drove 40 minutes across town to hit your favorite, and usually empty park, and today it is “Kite Festival Day.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking my wife detecting is fun and she almost always went. What ticked me off? She would get bored and wander off looking at rocks and end up finding coins with no detector!???

I've mentioned this before...I was detecting a field for about an hour or so, I don't remember how long we were out there. She's looking for arrow heads ,rocks, throwing them at me..doing whatever she does. She walked over and asked real smart like.."is this what your looking for?" while holding a nice green Indian head !!! of course I said.."No, I was looking for pop tabs!!!!" uggggghhhh:laughing7: Now..".Remember all the stuff I found and I didn't even use a detector....blah blah blah..."

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I get everything unloaded, get my tool belt on, my bags where I want them, my digger and pinpointer where I want them, hat adjusted just right, turn on my detector, get it ground balanced, them BOOM! Gotta poop.

LOL, that sounds so familiar! In the late 1980s, I was hunting some 5 miles from my' truck in the National Forest in the Northern Mountains of West Virginia and I had to go real bad because the Chili my now ex-wife made me the evening before wanted to exit my' intestines. I carefully and quietly walked over to a wet weather Spring that had flooded badly in the past and had big rocks in it. While pulling down my' hunting coveralls real slowly, I surveyed all the way around me to make sure that there were no Deer in sight. Confident that no Deer will come along while I am doing my business, I take a few steps forward and lean my' rifle up against a log, step back and pull the coverall top between my legs. I then drop my pants and underwear and begin going about my business. To my surprise, I look up and there are four Doe and a Trophy Buck standing about 30 yards from me, watching me do my business. I am screwed because I am eight feet from my' rifle, I am only halfway done doing my business, my pants and underwear at my knees and my coveralls are pulled between my legs. All I could do was watch as one the biggest Trophy Bucks that I had ever laid eyes upon up until that season and the four Doe politely ran away while probably laughing their a%&es off at me.:icon_pale::BangHead:

Last edited:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This happened to me again yesterday and I've been complaining about it for years......

Found an old colonial site in the tall, weedy grass, surrounded by the thickest bush.
Wander over to the big oaks that have no undergrowth and is easy swinging only to hear SILENCE.
Walk over to the thick scrub where you can't even move and the signals are everywhere!
Of course! Why would finding treasure be easy?
Sure, I was successful but not until after the hawthorn shrubbery kicked my ass!
Nothin' like pulling broken thorn tips out of your skin! :BangHead:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ain’t that the truth!....it’s happened so many times, when I tell my wife I’m going detecting, she says, “ok, see you in 10 minuets”
Its all that bending over. Touch your toes 10 times before you go out! Works for me.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been my experience that Murphy was an optimist .He law is Anything than can go wrong will go wrong . Mine is It already went wrong but I have not realized that fact yet . So I continue going blindly down the path only to discover my foolishness some amount of time later .

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like where I hunt

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drove 1 1/2 hour to a favourite British camp. great days detecting....got home....cant find phone...... drove another 1.5hrs back to site......hike back up into the mountains .....found phone on trail 40 minutes in....turned dark walking back to car. Got home late.
Good job Murphy

Chub

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detecting the beach and I get signals from all the females toe rings who are crowding me!,

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get home from detecting after a 25 minute drive and after walking around in the woods for hours and realize you dropped your pin pointer Somewhere????Gotta go back eeeehhh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread