Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree433Likes

Thread: MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDER SC...Should we stay or should we go?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    3193 times
    Metal Detecting

MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDER SC...Should we stay or should we go?

Hey Ya'll. Our Guvnuh, McMaster, has ordered a MANDATORY evacuation of ALL evacuation areas on or near the state coast. And must begin evacuation NO LATER than 11 AM tomorrow, Tuesday.

I am in Georgetown SC, and it looks like this hurricane is just going to brush us with 70+ mph winds or so. Envisioning this scenario, playing it out three or more days, with half of the state's population, seems like a fate worse than just being without power.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
    dts52, RustyGold, A2coins and 8 others like this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

us
    Jun 2015
    NW CT
    Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer Vibra-probe / TRX pp
    1111 times
    MD & NA artifacts
    I hope you are safe, whichever way you choose to go. I can imagine what a tough call that is to make. My humble prayers will include you and all the great folks in SC.
    dts
    A2coins, Kray Gelder, Kace and 2 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 720i Stealth Scoop
    5009 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Time to take a road trip...best of luck!
    A2coins, Kray Gelder, Kace and 3 others like this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Aug 2017
    SW MO
    Garrett AT PRO
    629 times
    Metal Detecting
    Leave, they don't know exactly where its going to hit until its too late to leave.
    A2coins, Kray Gelder, Kace and 4 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    12285 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Think of all the people who have got killed by hurricanes not one of them thought they were going to be killed. I say go We like your posts and want to see many more...
    Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $5.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.50 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus
    6902 times
    I think for family or friends sake I would go.Hurricanes will bite you big time. Be safe.
    A2coins, Kray Gelder, Kace and 4 others like this.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    13257 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    Road trip! I HATE storms, and I HATE tropical storms more than white outs in the winter. Go, you'll have plenty of stories to tell next year. Stay, and next year may come without you.
    Kray Gelder, A2coins, Kace and 4 others like this.

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    5128 times
    I agree that it is better to be safe than sorry and leave for a few days! Even if it turns further Northward and spares Georgetown from the strongest winds, there is a great likelihood that a combined storm surge and high tides will raise water levels in the Winyah Bay to record levels and could cause major flooding. Combined that with the threat of flooding rainfall, Tornadoes and snakes washed further inland, it can spell disaster for many even if not in the direct path of the Hurricane. I don't write this lightly as I was a Meteorological Technician and then a Hydrological-Meteorological Technician with the National Weather Service for almost 33 years and worked through quite a few Tropical Storms and Hurricanes and/or the after effects from their remnants.
    Last edited by huntsman53; Sep 10, 2018 at 05:55 PM.

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5150 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    If I were told to evacuate 2 1/2 days before the hurricane arrives, I'd tell them to forget it. Why on earth would you have to evacuate that many days before a storm? I see nothing wrong with waiting until Wednesday morning. Just my take on it.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    3193 times
    Metal Detecting
    I truly appreciate everyone's input. Votes are leaning heavily to go. Free Bird, your reaction is my reaction. If it's still swinging north into poor North Carolina tomorrow, I'm thinking stay. My Wife has somewhere to go.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    5128 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    If I were told to evacuate 2 1/2 days before the hurricane arrives, I'd tell them to forget it. Why on earth would you have to evacuate that many days before a storm? I see nothing wrong with waiting until Wednesday morning. Just my take on it.
    They are advising this to try to avoid any major traffic jam/backup which could strand some evacuees/motorists in harms way. The Governor actually should have ordered a scheduled orderly evacuation with those in the highest risk area evacuating first then have evacuees say 25 to 35 miles further inland leaving an hour later, then the next evacuees another 25 to 35 miles further inland leaving an hour later and so on and so on. This won't guarantee that traffic jams will not occur and hold up the evacuation but it will somewhat alleviate mass histeria.
    Last edited by huntsman53; Sep 10, 2018 at 07:53 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    5313 times
    Ya....I'm mixed on this type of subject.....If you want to play it safe? Go! There is nothing worth your life. But on the flip side not sure what I'd do either. With my Son and wife to worry about? I'd have to go. If it was just me? I'd have to stay and ride it out. So....I'm not much help!!

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    2855 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    Kray....Whatever you decide, my prayers are with you and everyone dealing with this. I'd have a hard time leaving my home unless I felt it was imminent like Katrina in New Orleans. That, I do not get why those folks stayed. The meteorologist poster is who I'd talk to for an educated opinion.

I've only been on the fringe of one hurricane while traveling through Florida...That wasn't too fun.

Now, Tornadoes and Severe Ice Storms I Have a Healthy Respect For...Safe Room Stocked With Supplies and a Big Generator! lol!

Best Wishes To You Kray

Kace

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    3193 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Kace View Post
    Kray....Whatever you decide, my prayers are with you and everyone dealing with this. I'd have a hard time leaving my home unless I felt it was imminent like Katrina in New Orleans. That, I do not get why those folks stayed. The meteorologist poster is who I'd talk to for an educated opinion.

I've only been on the fringe of one hurricane while traveling through Florida...That wasn't too fun.

Now, Tornadoes and Severe Ice Storms I Have a Healthy Respect For...Safe Room Stocked With Supplies and a Big Generator! lol!

Best Wishes To You Kray

Kace
    Thanks. Yeah, if this was still holding on a direct hit here, I wouldn't need to think about it. But hitting the edge of it, I think I'd rather stay to limit damage, if needed.
    Wrightdigger, Kace and devldog like this.

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    5128 times
    Below is a link to Hurricanes that have affected the Gulf Coast of Alabama even though all but one did not make a direct hit but all did major damage and resulted in quite a few deaths.

https://www.al.com/news/mobile/index...ma_will_n.html

One of those that made a somewhat direct hit along the Alabama/Mississippi border was Frederic and below is a report about Frederic by the National Weather Service, my former employer.

https://www.weather.gov/mob/frederic
    Kray Gelder, Wrightdigger and Kace like this.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links