MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDER SC...Should we stay or should we go?

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well my being a female here is my take on the matter , You are the man of the house and responsible for your wife's, and children's safety if you have any. So if you insist on staying its your decision but send your wife to some place safe, only give her all the important papers, insurance policies, and burial policies so she can take care of your broken body if the roof falls on you while your sleeping, or a tree comes through the wall while your standing in two feet of water after just being bite by a snake and there's no one to call for help because they've all left. Sounds like a good time for a family vacation to me. Be safe ; Rebelsmom

Thanks for your input, Rebelsmom. No children here, and I'm not forcing anyone to do anything. This is a cold calculation, most in this immediate area are at this point planning on staying. If we all decided to follow the Guvnuh's order, this neighborhood WOULD be looted, a certainty.

Bengsxr

Jul 14, 2018
Pearland, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a little south of Houston and have seen multiple hurricane hits. If you have everything prepared in case poop hits the fan you can survive it. I never evacuate for the hurricanes. But I have ways to run my house if we lose power. I have jacked up vehicles to drive in deep water enough food, gas, water to survive almost a month. A chainsaw in the house to cut out the roof of a second story home if needed then finally a boat is the last resort if we have to leave. But also must take in to account if you have small children or if any family members need medical help it will not be coming. It is a huge risk to stay and know you must handle any and all emergencies yourself. You must prep which has taken a long time for me and to see what works and what dont work. Ps fill all bath tubes with water before the storm it can be used as gray water and if needed drinking water.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not worried here in the mountains, it'll just take my bridge out due to the heavy rains. It's a yearly thing up here.

Really concerned about the people on the coast though. I saw another report stating as much as 40" of rain. Looks like people on the coast have today and tomorrow to get the heck inland. Thursday will be too late.

Actually, if they wait until tomorrow which we might consider the last minute, they'll be sitting parked in their car on the highway in traffic.

My last real hurricane experience was Hazel in 1954. I was watching out a window and the wind took a door off an outbuilding and it sailed away up into the sky.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly don’t stay unless you are fully prepared and physically able to lend assistance to others in need.
One more family needing rescued, or using up bottled water that others could use that had no means of leaving doesn’t sound right.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got a message from my cousin, he's packing to head to Tennessee where there'll be no storm. Thank Our Father!

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd leave. This storm is giving me some very unpleasant memories of last year this time in SWFL. I thought our first floor beachfront condo was history but I was far more concerned about my mother in Bonita Beach. We got her a hotel but she wouldn't leave, despite being in a mandatory evacuation zone. I was in N.VA and couldn't physically remove her. Well, it was a nightmare. Ten days of high heat and no electricity. Her neighborhood was flooded in. It was a very bad time. I'd get a hotel far away and take the trip. If you recall, Irma made some dramatic shifts in the days before it hit. If it turns out that you didn't need to go - well, good. That means no damage to your property. But better safe than sorry. Why take the risk?

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been looking at the weather forecast this morning. Sounds like Florence is might get hung up on the coast when it lands, could rain for a day or two. This might be a real costly storm.

I really don't know what I'd do if I was in your position Kray. Either prepare for wind and floods or run. My only advice is that if you stay, keep a firearm handy. You won't be able to call uniformed men with guns, you will be on your own.

Don't you shoot anybody Kray. Good luck.

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
If I were told to evacuate 2 1/2 days before the hurricane arrives, I'd tell them to forget it. Why on earth would you have to evacuate that many days before a storm? I see nothing wrong with waiting until Wednesday morning. Just my take on it.

IMG_5750.JPG

To avoid this, is why they want you to evacuate early. Because being trapped in your car on an interstate in a traffic jam and getting hammered by a hurricane is far worse than either being at home or evacuated early. Because guaranteed a gazillion fools are going to wait till it’s far too late to leave.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hide from the wind, run from the water!

I'd tell you, you should have already been gone!
When Irma hit S.E. Fl, I left at 12 noon, headed up US 27. There were already stacking cars on the turnpike.
Had a full tank of gas, BUT, decided to refuel in Sebring. There was NO GAS on the north bound side of street, so when I saw a southbound side convenience store with gas, I of course made a U-turn & refueled.

It took me 11 hours to get out of Florida, via 27, 98, & Hwy 19, to my SW Ga destination.
I only drank about 4 sips of water the whole way, ate nothing, & didn't even pee, till 10:00 pm that night.
I almost ran out of gas coming to Perry Fl, but after I passed under I-10 on Hwy 19, there was a small town store that had gas.
All of the gas stations either had lines almost a half mile long, or were out of gas completely.
I had pet birds, weapons, & about 60 lbs of silver in the trunk, I wasn't fixing to let my car run dry, or leave it anywhere.
The storm actually followed me & hit in SW Ga where I was.
I had to go through all of this alone, as the Mr was working out of town, it was all on me.

Me & the Mr had stayed during Wilma, & our home almost blew apart around us.
The roof lifted up about a foot, then dropped back down, the west wall almost blew in, but we had mattresses & a heavy Castro Convertible sleeper laid up against the wall.
Thinking you are fixing to die, is no fun!
We vowed then, we'd never stay in another one.

Our family motto now:

IF WE'RE IN THE CONE, WE'RE GONE!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
They are advising this to try to avoid any major traffic jam/backup which could strand some evacuees/motorists in harms way. The Governor actually should have ordered a scheduled orderly evacuation with those in the highest risk area evacuating first then have evacuees say 25 to 35 miles further inland leaving an hour later, then the next evacuees another 25 to 35 miles further inland leaving an hour later and so on and so on. This won't guarantee that traffic jams will not occur and hold up the evacuation but it will somewhat alleviate mass histeria.

Many years ago I spent the weekend in New Orleans with a friend who was in Tulane medical school. They told us to evacuate Friday afternoon and we stalled until Sunday morning. Then when we went to leave the Big Easy the Sheriffs informed us that the only highway leading out was already closed down. Thankfully, the storm took a hard right to the East as it made landfall. We would have been up that proverbial creek without a paddle. Once again, for the millionth time, I had my guardian angel working overtime. Stay safe.
HH
dts

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take your family, pets, cash, jewelry and head out the door. Save the important stuff and your lives and to hell with the rest. Have a safe journey.

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bunker down and be the first to the beach:laughing7:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To avoid this, is why they want you to evacuate early. Because being trapped in your car on an interstate in a traffic jam and getting hammered by a hurricane is far worse than either being at home or evacuated early. Because guaranteed a gazillion fools are going to wait till it’s far too late to leave.

Storm is coming Thursday night. That's still over 48 hours away. I seriously doubt it will take anyone more than 12 hours to get the heck out of the area. The fools are the ones who listened to the politicians and ran away at 11 AM sharp this morning. They're going to spend at least $150 a night for a hotel while waiting for a storm that's two days away. Doesn't make sense to me. If you're that afraid of coastal storms, move away from the ocean! Geez!

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Regardless of if you leave or stay, take photos of the interiors of all your rooms. Also, take some exterior photos of your house & property. If any wind damage or flooding does occur, the photos will help tremendously with insurance content replacement, roof repairs and any other wind/water damages.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think Katrina!!!! Being in hurricane alley of Louisiana, if they say evacuate...heed to those orders. During Katrina north & south bound lanes of I-10 & I-55 were the evacuating routes, south bound was made north bound. My husband being on a motorcycle trip in the mountains of northern Georgia. I had talked with him the night before, "Not going to be that bad". Next morning, he tuned into the weather channel & figured he better get home. Once he reached Mississippi, from Meridian (which is a 4 hour drive) took over 10 hours, he had called me from there. Then I really got to worrying after 6 hours. No contact at all cause the cell phone services were off. Cousin in Slidell had 10' water in their home, a friend in Gulfport the only thing left was the concrete steps. House was never found. Look at all the people who stayed that had to be rescued from the roof tops. I experienced many bad storms here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread