Rude behavior;
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree238Likes

Thread: Rude behavior;

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2972 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Rude behavior;

On rare occasion while detecting, the "public" may find us to be a sort of amusement I guess. During this year three instances come to mine, a couple of people walking by going "beep beep beep beep" while acting like robots swinging a coil. Another time when two women with two boys walked by, and the boys wanted to try out the detector and three times tried to snatch it out of my hand, and the mothers were smiling thinking it was cute, (the boys being about 8 to 10 yrs. old) and when I told them I'd be more then happy to let their boys "play" with it, if they had a $1000.00 deposit to hand over first, for that's how much this machine cost, they stopped smiling and gathered up the boys and left, and the couple who would toss a nickel about 6' in front of me, expecting me to swing the coil over and then dive for it, they seemed disappointed when I said No Thanks, I already have a few as I stepped on it and kept going.....Any one else?
    devldog, GB1, buck8point and 12 others like this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
    3529 times
    Relic Hunting
    I understand, some folks make the Three Stooges look like Rocket Scientists from NASA. Some things folks used to do was unbelievable........not so much anymore.
    sprailroad, RustyGold and A2coins like this.

us
    Apr 2018
    Central Alabama
    Minelab Safari
    502 times
    Nope I’ve never had a run in or had anybody even pay much attention to me
    A2coins and sprailroad like this.

us
    Wood Butcher

Apr 2013
    Indian River Co., Fl
    585 times
    No negative encounters here, but still fairly new.
    Everyone seems to be more curious about the hobby and whether there is anything other than pull tabs.

us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 1862 Wheaties
    1671 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    Nope! people tend to ignore me like I am just a crazy old man.

us
    Dec 2012
    Twin Tiers NY
    XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
    462 times
    I was detecting a public area a few years back when a gentleman walked up to me and asked "Can I help you?" without missing a beat I said "Sure, you want to dig or run the machine?" He was not amused and told me that I was not suppose to be there. I told him that my yearly tax bill financed these public areas and I have as much right to be there as anyone else.

May 2018
    77 times
    I've had more instances than I can count being interrupted during a hunt. Most times I dont mind as long as the people are polite. Like has been said, most people are just curious and I actually like talking about the hobby. With curious youngsters I usually offer them a cruddy zincoln or something like that as a bit of "treasure", and it always brings a smile.
    But on the flip side, I've also run across the nastiest people as well. Almost always ghetto rats in a group running amok in parks or on the beach. Had some try to grab my machine to "try it". Had another couple kids try telling me their mom said I should give them my machine for a while or she would call the police. What? But the worst was when I was water hunting and a group of teens thought it was funny to throw rocks at me when I wasn't looking, then duck into the group. Yeah, I got hit a few times. It only stopped when I luckily saw a bigger rock coming at my head where at the last instant I caught it. In one smooth reversal throw it went right back and hit the guilty party. Kinda felt a little bad because I didn't really intend to hit the little turd, but it did feel pretty good like karma had her justice.
    buck8point, GB1, dts52 and 12 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2015
    NW CT
    Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer Vibra-probe / TRX pp
    1489 times
    MD & NA artifacts
    I don't know whether this counts, but when I'm metal detecting on the beach all the attractive women move away when I get within 50 feet. The others wait until I'm within 30 feet before they run away.
    HH
    dts

ca
    Upper Fort Garry

Jul 2012
    In da bush
    Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
    1789 times
    Living for the hunt!
    Sure, over the three decades I've been detecting, there always used to be some smart-ass comment made or a car full of punks yelling insults out the window.
    But times have changed and now there's nothing but phone zombies and dog walkers everywhere.
    Phone zombies walking with their phones in front of them....do you think they even notice you detecting?
    Heck, I've laughed at them several times as they trip over a tree root and fall flat on their faces!
    Most of the time they only occupy the odd park bench or sit in their cars in the parking lot.
    But they do get upset to see a human near them because they might have to interact and that makes them uncomfortable and they leave.

If a dog walker laughs at me, I end laughing back harder as they stand there holding a hot, steamy bag of feces.
    Ever listen to a bunch of them standing together talking about their dog's bowel movements and Fluffy's perfect temperament? Okaaaaaaay!!!!
    Ever notice the troves of ultimate Frisbee groups that show up in the evening? What a strange bunch they are!

Anyway, my point is that nowadays while detecting, I end up laughing at everyone I see. The tables have turned!
    I used to avoid crowded places based on people staring or commenting but have tried detecting them recently, only to find that most people are either glued to their phones or staring at their dog's bums.

You should have seen me make fun of the 50+ people standing in the park together with their phones looking for Pokemon a few years ago.
    Some young chick pointed me out to the 4 big football player-sized young men saying that I was making fun of them.
    The guys looked up at me for a second and then went right back to their phones.
    In the old days, they would have defended their honour and picked a fight but now, they're just useless zombies!
    It's actually a great time to be detecting. Just watch out for dog sh*t!
    A metal detector can only do so much..........
    It's up to you to do the rest!

Mar 2016
    3063 times
    Muddyhandz you have nailed it.

Back in the 1980ís, as a kid, I was always worried about what the girls my age would think.
    The stereotype of the old man with tube socks pulled up nearly to his white knees....blindly swinging a detector on the beach was in full effect.

Detecting was too interesting to let that get in the way.

Gave a presentation to my high school class once and they all were very interested and had lots of questions (even the hot chicks).
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Oct 31, 2018 at 10:53 AM.
    GB1, RustyGold, A2coins and 2 others like this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    Sep 2018
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Max
    2984 times
    In a city park a group of kids threw a rock at me and hit me. It was just a pebble and I was kind of pissed but had no idea who did it. Called them out but nobody fessed up. I have no problem with rowdy kids but when I'm detecting in public places I try to avoid people. In my time in the city I've been jumped and robbed so I get a little worried when people approach me and start asking how much my detector cost. I am also wary of who is around me when I put down my detector to dig a hole. You never know when somebody is going to run up and grab your stuff. I'd say for the most part people leave me alone.

us
    Aug 2011
    ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
    1173 times
    How I deal with the public:

If they are just kids, I be nice and explain what they ask. If they want to use the machine, I tell them no it's very expensive. if they ask for my finds, I tell them no, I worked for them. However, there were two girls following me around and i figured if i give them a quarter each, they would go away. So when i offered it to them, they said, "that's just a quarter. No thanks" LOL

Because of my appearance, most don't come near me. I dress like a homeless guy. Unshaven with dirty clothes. If they get the nerve to talk to me, depending on their demeanor, I am very stand-offish(not nasty, just one word them to death).

Rude encounters: i have had the beep beep beepers, the coin tossers, and the people that think they own where you are detecting. All you can do is just ignore them.
    GB1, RustyGold, A2coins and 1 others like this.
    Bucket list still needed:
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11815 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by choppadude View Post
    I was detecting a public area a few years back when a gentleman walked up to me and asked "Can I help you?" without missing a beat I said "Sure, you want to dig or run the machine?" He was not amused and told me that I was not suppose to be there. I told him that my yearly tax bill financed these public areas and I have as much right to be there as anyone else.
    Cute. But don't count on that working. You can be there. But not necessarily dig, disturb or remove anything.

Your taxes paid for the police cruisers as well. But they frown on it when you try and drive one off.

Or if you walk into a county courtroom in session and say you want to drill a hole in the wall and look for copper. Won't fly.
    GB1, A2coins, sprailroad and 1 others like this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Apr 2017
    Bay Area, CA
    Tesoro Cibola, XP Deus w/ HF coils, & 11" LF. Land and Sea pinpointer
    797 times
    Sorry, my Psychiatrist put me on some new medicine and said I should avoid interacting with people for a few days. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't bother me.

aq
    Feb 2017
    415 times
    Metal Detecting
    I am usually visibly well armed when detecting and for some reason, folks leave me alone. I did have one moron tell me that my gun had better be registered and I better have a permit for it or I was in big trouble. He had no clue that in my state, there is no such thing as a "registered" gun and no such thing as a gun "permit" either. We do have a concealed carry license, which I have had for 20 years, but nothing is required to open carry which I was doing as I usually do.

Bill
    A2coins, GB1, sandchip and 8 others like this.
    Detectorist

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links