High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
After reading the recent story by dirtlooter, it brought to mind an incident I had back in 1977. I had a 1977 Kawasaki 1000. It was dubbed the fastest production street bike in the world.
Remembering how cold it was yesterday morning on the way to work, I wore my snowmobile mittens and a jacket. As I was going down the ramp to the interstate, I wondered what this bike would do and opened it up. I saw the speedometer registering 115, then it began to wobble. I chopped the throttle, and Immediately I thought I don't want to get into roll and go into the guard rails. I hit the pavement, then quickly rolled over on my belly and went spread eagle on my tippy toes and hands. I noticed what a funny sound that made going down the road feet first at maybe 100mph while looking up to see if any cars were coming. After coming to a stop, I stood up and turned around to see the bike still sliding, then flip over to do the other side.I walked down to the bike, picked it up and rolled it over to the guard rail.
It wasn't five minuets later when a State Trooper arrived. He noticed the long skid mark on the road and wanted to know how fast I was going. I said maybe around 50. I just got on the highway and my pants leg blew up. I was trying to pull it down and lost control.
My only injury's were pride, followed by a 2" patch of skin tore from my left hip from the initial impact, and a blood blister on my right pointer finger. My guardian angel must have been looking after me that day.
Much earlier than this, a wise old farmer told me that once I felt I could handle the bike well, it was a sign that it was getting ready to kill me. As I think about it now, the farmer was right.
After getting the bike all fixed up and sold, I bought a Honda Gold Wing

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ouch Brother! I had the 500 (3-banger). My cafe-racing days are in the rear-view mirror!

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are lucky for sure.
I was an EMT for several years and scooped up enough "seasoned" bike to know that no matter how "cool" they are, I'll never own one. Today there is simply too much traffic too many distractions, and too many careless inexperienced drivers.

The old farmer was right.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a great bike; did it survive at least.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Glad to hear you're OK.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
No gold in NY

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Borrowed a Kaw 900. It had a wee bit more pep at top end than my Honda 500-4..... O.K. , a lot more. And was a rocket almost out of the hole.

Death wobble! Ya , it can happen.
I've surfed on the crash cage a couple times ,but it was not death wobble induced.

This guy could have used some leather hide over his own.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The old man was so right! I got into too many “near accidents” when I was riding bikes..
Here are pics of my last two.
4E7EB52D-0BC7-4B27-B485-0BA5FABEAE23.jpeg Yamaha FZR 1000
B94C9CC0-08E0-46ED-91C4-F1D22E15525F.jpeg Kawasaki GPZ 750
Keep the rubber side down!

Last edited:

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bikes should only be ridden in fair weather. I used to Road Race back in the late 70's. Crashed a couple of times on the asphalt track at high speeds. Gave it up after I realized I was NOT invincible (isn't that what we think in our 20's?) Too many buddies medi-vac'd to a hospital. Remember that when you go down and tumbling, don't try to stop the momentum with one of you limbs. That's how they get broken. Also, when you THINK you've stopped, wait a few seconds, then get up.
Remember, it's not IF you go down, only a matter of WHEN. Everyone falls

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yeah, I guess quite a few of us have similar stories. After all of my strokes etc were over with, I "relearned" how to ride a bike again at 48 years old. Had to relearn how to do several things at the same time and still keep it standing. The bike? a 1500 K Vulcan II. It took me about a month and a half to get it together again but it was awesome. helped with my balance etc and was a confidence booster. However, I decided to pass a convoy of slow moving RVs and I got it over 100 + and what ever speed I was going, it began to wobble and I backed off on the gas immediately and got slowed down. Yeah, way too exciting for me and I never did that again, too crazy and stupid. But I put about 8000 miles on it and that was a story in itself. My brother has been hit (never his fault) two times and messed up pretty badly. He still rides, says that its a chick magnet. I tell him that the next time might be permanent. Too many people either don't see you or think that they can get out before you get there.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old 3cyl thought he would be smart and beat traffic and blew down the shoulder at high speed until a68 caddy decided to turn down the side street ......as i jumped the bike went under the caddy and i landed on my feet running....oh yea

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank God you are OK! :icon_thumleft:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a 1997 CBR 900 RR and here’s my story. I had just bought a new back tire and gotten a nail in it. Just having spent $230 I went and had it plugged. Well from then on it was always in my head when going a high speeds which we did often between New Orleans and Slidell La that was a 15 miles straight away that was never patrolled by State Troopers which was well known. So one day me and my buddy where running the interstate when I saw him pointing down at my rear tire I immediately thought my tire was going flat and a wobble was going to happen as soon as I started slower down. At about 70 mph looked down in back to see the tire I was in the middle lane and drifted in the right lane unknowingly. Well at that very second a black pathfinder missing me by a foot swerved in the emergency lane going about 90 mph. My life flashed in front of my eyes. My friend was pointing for me to turn off my blinker that’s all, but that plug was in my head. I drove next to the pathfinder only to see two high school girls pale white with a panic look, she barely even wanted to take her eyes off the road to look at me. I saw the fear of almost killing a man and I saw reality that day. Next day FOR SALE IMG_1362.jpg

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Bikes are the only way to travel down range, fastest on ground and certainly safest.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ouch Brother! I had the 500 (3-banger). My cafe-racing days are in the rear-view mirror!

Terry, those Kawi 3 bangers were one of the most dangerous bikes ever made. Lucky you survived unscathed...LOL
Jim

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was young dumb and full of ya'll know what...I had a 1983 gpz 550...lol...It was the only bike I have ever owned...When I was riding it I was part of team wfo...I got pulled over once in San Jose, CA doing 100+ mph...When the highway patrolman pulled me over he asked me if I had an idea of how fast I was going...I told him 85mph...on an 83 gpz 85 is the highest speed on the odometer...lol...I had the thing pegged...Those were the days...

Ed T

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew I was getting old when I sold my 360 RT1 and bought a riding lawnmower !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread