New Mexico

cookiemonstr87

Jun 18, 2007
California
Is anyone here from New Mexico?
Lately I have been thinking about moving to New Mexico. Somewhere around Silver City. What is the geology? Is there any gem, mineral, fossils. Places to go treasure hunting? Do you think that it would be worth it to move from Where I live now. Currently I reside in Mount Aukum, California. It is only a few states away, but I would like some more information about it. So if anyone has anything to say about Silver City, New Mexico please let me know! Thanks.
Cookiemonstr

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
??? Why do you want to move? Haven't lived in NM. but have read many treasure stories about the whole state.
If you do move check into joining a club when you get there. Good Luck CM

Desertfox

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
there is a fellow from here in CA, an ace hunter, who moved to New Mexico a few years ago. He's now finding old stuff over there too, somewhere along the Rio Grande (I forget which city). But he still posts on the CA forum ("Kinzli" forum) so you can find him there. See if you can flush him out of hiding on the Kinzli forum, and he'll tell you the scoop on the comparisons to CA hunting (he used to hunt nuggets in your area of CA by the way). He goes by the pen-name "goldhart"

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
There is placer gold at Hillsboro just a few miles east of silver city also the lost adams is just north of there they say. lots of gold and treasure in new mexico.a treasure out by red rock close to az border.

Blackfoot

joya_dorado

Feb 13, 2005
San Marcos, TX
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Cookie I am from Texas, the greatest State in the Union :D but New mexico comes in a close second. Spent a lot of time in the Gila Wilderness north of Silver City. The one thing about New Mexico is employment. It is a poor state economically. Rich in beauty, poor in money. Now in terms of loot out there in the desert... there's lots of stories to follow. I believe there are also known placer deposits just north of Silver City in the desert.
One thing to be aware of, and I mean no disrespect here to the First People, but you must be careful of Indians when you're in remote areas. Truth is there is a lot of racial tension between the Indians, the hispanics, the people of Basque descent, who consider themselves distinct from other Hispanics, and the whites. Most folks are friendly as in any western State but you just need to watch your back in some places.
My favorite places are the northwestern Gila Wilderness, Ruidosa for skiing, and Roswell for just hangin out. Also check out a small town about 20 miles south of Albequerque called Belen. Cafe there called Pete's Cafe. The sopapillas are like crack cocaine, especially after you've spent a few days in the wilderness.

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Silver City is interesting. Real estate is kind of high for New Mexico.

Yes there is gold and other items around. However a good deal of it is on Private property with no trespassing signs everywhere.

There is a large open pit copper mine there and they do get gold out of it but it is a commercial mine.

The area in Silver City is kind of touristy.

The area kind of turned me off when I was considering living there.

Take a visit there and look at the area for a few days.

California, Arizona and Nevada have tons of opportunities.

If you have specific questions about New Mexico please ask. The place is a whole other world.

OroGrande

Apr 1, 2007
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Good Luck to you. Silver City and the adjoining Gila Wilderness is beautiful. National Forest and blm lands for exploring. It is a vast area. Google Silver City and the Gila, a wealth of information available. Lots of buried treasure tales and minerals in and around Silver. I live in Alamogordo, about 200 mi from Silver, but visit/prospect every chance I get. HH and let me know if you need more info.

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I spent a week there one night :). Just kidding, the state is beautiful and Santa Fe is kind of "artsy". Albuquerque has some great restaurants and the balloon festival that's about to start is awesome. Hope you have a way to make a living...not many opportunities.

BPMM

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I presently live in Albuquerque but was born in Deming about 30 miles South of Silver City. As mentioned by others New Mexico has lots of old places to detect. My buddy and I are currently working 5 homesteads dating back to 1800-10. But you have to be careful where you detect as there is quite a bit of private property. Also, you can forget about detecting on an Indian reservation, a big no-no. They will arrest you. If you move to New Mexico you will have to buy Philip Varney's book, "New Mexico's best ghost towns". Worth every penny. Also Google "New Mexico Military Forts. Our next project is an 1861 cavalry fort where the famous Apache warrior, Mangas Coloradas was detained and killed. The site is about 10 miles SE of Silver City. Lots of places ,be careful.

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i always said the best part of texas was the view..................from my rear view mirror when i cross the state line....LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread