Whats you veiw on rock tumblers

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
What's you veiw on rock tumblers

I saw a rock tumbler at the local walmart today $24,curious to know if this would be worth getting just for cleaning clad?

it's probably the most basic one i have seen as well as the cheapest,i don't really have $100 plus to spend on a professional type one at the moment...do you think it would serve me in cleaning clad in the meantime or should i not even bother buying it.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's you veiw on rock tumblers

I just bought one of those at wal-mart a few weeks ago and they will do the job pretty good. I used the ground up metal that came with it to clean the clad. I guess I didn't have the lid on snug enough because most of the metal had seeped out around the lid. I am going to try sand next and see if it works better. I'll try that after while and let you know how it turns out. It will be pretty loud so you will need a place to put it where it won't drive you all crazy, lol...Have a good one

DANGLANGLEY

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

I use one of the better ones but don't see why the WalMart one won't do the job for you. Just remember what Montana Jim said. Don't put any pennies in with your clads, they turn a strange color and nobody want's to take them................. Good Luck

Desertfox

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The one from Wallyworld will work fine. Ive seen the tumbler in action and it works great even though it comes from a corporation that put my families shop out of business(after 37 years) knock yourself out!

Did not mean to turn this into a rant!

KFB

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

kindafoundabuckle said:
The one from Wallyworld will work fine. Ive seen the tumbler in action and it works great even though it comes from a corporation that put my families shop out of business(after 37 years) knock yourself out!

KFB

Hey buckle,what is your families store called,do you have a link(if online) maybe a catalog i'd be happy to take a look.I'm not too hip about who owns what..also i need a new pair of sneakers and some pants does the store your family owns provide them as well.

i misread your post...sorry your family went out of business after 37 yrs.

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

DANGLANGLEY said:
I just bought one of those at wal-mart a few weeks ago and they will do the job pretty good. I used the ground up metal that came with it to clean the clad. I guess I didn't have the lid on snug enough because most of the metal had seeped out around the lid. I am going to try sand next and see if it works better. I'll try that after while and let you know how it turns out. It will be pretty loud so you will need a place to put it where it won't drive you all crazy, lol...Have a good one

DANGLANGLEY

did you put the o-ring around the inside of the top?,or maybe you forgot to turn the top a bit to lock it on the barrel

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heck..I picked up 2 from the flea market for 5 bucks...the kids kind...the darn thing works real good for me.

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

SC_hunter said:
Heck..I picked up 2 from the flea market for 5 bucks...the kids kind...the darn thing works real good for me.

SC i went and got one today,could you tell me whats the best material to use for cleaning,do you add soap or anything,lastly whats the most coins you've cleaned at a time.
thanks Shawn

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

UnEarthed72 said:
SC_hunter said:

SC i went and got one today,could you tell me whats the best material to use for cleaning,do you add soap or anything,lastly whats the most coins you've cleaned at a time.
thanks Shawn
Shawn, I was in Wal-mart, my wife was in the material section..so I wandered over to where the craft stuff was located and found a bag full of small round rocks...I put about 10 to 15 in it with the coins...I then squirt some diswasher detergent in it and add water...I have put as many as around 20 coins in it at one time..just remember..put it in a place where the "noise" won't bother you...I usually tumble them for about 2 hours or so. And don't mix your clad with the silver ones..

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

Thanks SC for the info..i read some comments about it being noisy but hey if it cleans em that works for me

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

UnEarthed72 said:
DANGLANGLEY said:

DANGLANGLEY

did you put the o-ring around the inside of the top?,or maybe you forgot to turn the top a bit to lock it on the barrel

I never determined where I goofed up. I assumed that it it was my fault anyhow. I had the o-ring in place and I do remember turning the lid to lock it. It works just fine with sand. It sure takes the work out of cleaning coins. Oh, I did forget to mention NOT to put pennies in with other coins. Have a good one

DANGLANGLEY

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

Plain ole sand huh,thanks for the comments chances are i'll test run all these methods.

Thanks again all

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The one at wal mart sucked. Plus, the clad i put in there looked exactly the same. The only way to clean it was to put vinegar and salt and it turned the pennies pink and then the other clad looked weird. I'd rather have "whats with giving me all this dirty money" than the "this money looks fake look."

I think that tumbling is good if you can get it right, but i have had no luck and i would just roll it up and turn it in.

HH
-GC

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have also heard that sand they use in swimming pool filters work well...I just don't need a 50lb bag of sand around..lol

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

I wonder how coral substrate for the bottom of salt water fish tank would work..its a little more abrasive than sand.

S

sailrunner

I bought my son one for Christmas 3 yrs ago. He used it twice and I have used it ever since , over 2 1/2 yrs now.. Works like a charm. I guess shinny clad is better than dull clad?

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

UnEarthed72 said:
kindafoundabuckle said:

KFB

Hey buckle,what is your families store called,do you have a link(if online) maybe a catalog i'd be happy to take a look.I'm not too hip about who owns what..also i need a new pair of sneakers and some pants does the store your family owns provide them as well.

i misread your post...sorry your family went out of business after 37 yrs.

Im not going to reply about my families business because its no longer around. Im just a big supporter of small shops and stores. Times have changed and theres no room for the little guy anymore. Its part of Americana that is disappearing very fast and once its gone it will be gone forever. I like the service you get from a small shop and you will NEVER find that at a store like Wal Mart or Meijers. I am willing to pay a few extra cents for a product and have it sold to me with a smiling face and a good attitude instead of some teenager with a bad attitude with there pants down around there knees. I could go on but whats the point? The good ol days are gone. Just as long as the stock holders are happy thats all that matters.

KFB

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

I just got one in the mail from HarborFrieght. They are on sale this week - - $20.00. I have not tried it out yet. Hope it works good.

I'm not a big fan of big business selling Made in China crap, but now a days it is very hard to avoid it. I would rather buy from the little guy mom and pop stores, but there are dying faster than the dinosaurs.

DFXDon

Aug 27, 2007
West St. Paul Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision V3i, GMT, and X-Terra 705, Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Harbor freight has a specisl this week on a one can tumbler for 19.95 it is pretty well made the belt is extra heave duty should last.
DFXDon
??? ??? ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread