To Veterans - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: To Veterans

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
    3531 times
    Relic Hunting
    Good post Windman. Soldiers from all branches of the Armed Forces who serve their country during war time whether its popular or not is a HERO. Not some whiny kneeling Disrespectful ball player. Politicians can say what they want, but Vietnam was a War and not a police action.......but we All Know that. Anytime your country asks of its young service men and women to go and fight in its defense or interest, and risks being killed or seriously injured.....it's WAR.
    Oddjob, dts52, Ammoman and 5 others like this.

Aug 2012
    RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
    8960 times
    Quote Originally Posted by devldog View Post
    Good post Windman. Soldiers from all branches of the Armed Forces who serve their country during war time whether its popular or not is a HERO. Not some whiny kneeling Disrespectful ball player. Politicians can say what they want, but Vietnam was a War and not a police action.......but we All Know that. Anytime your country asks of its young service men and women to go and fight in its defense or interest, and risks being killed or seriously injured.....it's WAR.
    Hoah!
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.B. View Post
    I'm not an Idiot Whisperer. I can't help you any further with the math.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre, Nokta Pin pointer.
    4479 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I was just a child during the Vietnam war but i was about as close to the war as an American kid could get. My family was stationed at Anderson AFB Guam from 69 to 72 and then again from 75 to 79. The B-52's taking off on missions with the black smoke trailing and the deafening roar of those engines were as much a part of my day as were the monkey bars on the playground.

I had no understanding of what was going on but i did know people were being hurt because buses with men on stretchers inside were always coming and going from the the clinic. That clinic was only a few hundred yards from my house and on occasion i would go over and talk to the men.

Most of the men were pretty nice, we never talked about why they were there or how they got hurt, just chit chat of where i was from and where they were from and that kind of stuff. I also remember Bob hope and his USO tour as well. It was a pretty big deal to see him in person and a bigger deal to see the hot women he had on stage!

Anyhow, my hat is off to all the combat vets. Some served because they were forced too by the draft and others served for personal reasons but all served their country and deserve more than what they got!
    Last edited by Ammoman; Jan 29, 2019 at 11:47 AM.
    Dig till you drop!

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    4564 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by against the wind View Post
    As a double tour Vietnam veteran,, I'm proud to say, that no one who served on Vietnam has anything to be ashamed of. I never felt good about how we were treated when we came home. I lived in NYC and there was a lot of veterans up there who served in Nam.
    In May, 1985, Mayor Koch pushed a wheelchair across the Brooklyn Bridge towards the Canyon of Heroes.
    In the wheelchair was John Beehon. He lost both legs in Nam. He was awarded the Medal of Honor. Twenty Five Thousand Vietnam Veterans marched down Broadway through ticker tape and confetti. Tears on my eyes. 10 years late but finally a little respect.
    "NEVER AGAIN WILL ONE GENERATION OF VETERANS ABANDON ANOTHER"
    Thank you Kace
    That Made Me Cry ATW...

I was too young to grasp what was going on at the time of the VW, but coming from a family of vets, I remember my Aunt and cousins coming to the house a lot and we put together Care Packages for my Mom and Dads family that were over there. Then we would all load up the trunk of the car and go to mail them.

For Every package sent to relatives, us cousins would write letters and put them into identical packages from each of us for servicemen who didn't get things from home and my Mom and Aunt told us that because of You All we were able to do the things we did. I Still Believe That.

Thank You
    Kace

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    2022 times
    Prospecting
    I cant say I had a bad time in Iraq. I got to shoot guns, blow stuff up and burn things. It was one of the craziest times I've ever had alot like full grown men beating the tar outta kindergarteners. Saw plenty of gore and tons of humans burned to a crisp but it never bothered me and all my buddies came home. I just wish it was really about freedom and I wish that they'd let us actually win a war once in awhile.
    Other than that it was everything a 19 yr old kid would want to experience. I wanted to stay in but my wife had enough of the army life.
    After seeing what's happened since in Iraq and Afghanistan and how weve fumbled those conflicts I'm glad I didnt stay in and she was right haha.
    Now I understand the saying "the only thing that comes of old men talking policy is that young men die".
    Kace, DeepseekerADS, T.C. and 2 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    18280 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kace View Post
    For Every package sent to relatives, us cousins would write letters and put them into identical packages from each of us for servicemen who didn't get things from home and my Mom and Aunt told us that because of You All we were able to do the things we did. I Still Believe That.
    There's nothing left of my time there other than pictures I'd taken. I didn't get a lot of mail, Mom would write every couple of weeks - otherwise nothing from home.

Except the newspapers telling the world we were unforgivable.

My brother picked me up from the bus station in Greensboro and drove me home. At the time I was DT'ing from a heroin addiction - and suddenly I was free. Heroin was everywhere in Vietnam, the only sanctuary we had. Got past that horror and went on to live a life of freedom and Capitalism.....
    Last edited by DeepseekerADS; Feb 01, 2019 at 08:23 PM.
    T.C., Kace and RustyGold like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

May 2012
    Kalamity Falls, Orygun
    Whites M6
    1937 times
    "If you are able,
    save for them a place inside of you
    and save one backward glance when
    you are leaving for the places
    they can no longer go.
    "Be not ashamed to say you loved them,
    though you may or may not have always.
    Take what they have taught you with their dying
    and keep it with your own.
    "And in that time when men decide and feel safe
    to call the war insane,
    take one moment to
    embrace those gentle heroes
    you left behind."
    Major Michael O'Donnell
    KIA March 24, 1970 - Dak To, Vietnam
    Kace, DeepseekerADS and RustyGold like this.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    4564 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    There's nothing left of my time there other than pictures I'd taken. I didn't get a lot of mail, Mom would write every couple of weeks - otherwise nothing from home.

Except the newspapers telling the world we were unforgivable.

My brother picked me up from the bus station in Greensboro and drove me home. At the time I was DT'ing from a heroin addiction - and suddenly I was free. Heroin was everywhere in Vietnam, the only sanctuary we had. Got past that horror and went on to live a life of freedom and Capitalism.....
    Deep...If you ever got a letter written in a #2 pencil on Big Chief Tablet Paper in a package with good stuff, it might of been from me...The letter I mean...My Dad gave my Mom a list of stuff soldiers like to get. I doubt my letters would of been all that memorable...unless you liked hearing about my mini bike and dog Snoopy, which I couldn't of had either if it wasn't for you and all the guys with you and before you. I still have the mini bike...Because of you guys and the guys After you.

A new place opened pretty close to me called Headquarters....Its for Vets and First Responders to hang out. Lots of Vets who ride are involved in it. Im going to start taking my Vietnam era forward finds there. They use tags, patches and medals from guys to decorate with too. Along with other stuff plus .40 and .50cal Shells as shakers. They have their own wine line all named and recognizing vets and first responders. Sometimes I locate a family who doesn't want a tag from that era I find so it will go there too instead of the VFW. The old ones I find and can't locate family will still go to VFW. They also have a plaque that anyone's name can be put on who didn't make it back. Lots of nice things there.

The Best Part of the place is when you go in, you can write your name on a lite board and put on there however much money you want to spend on drinks/appetizers for vets. I think that's great. Buy Vets whatever they want to drink and eat. It's a Nice way to say Thank You and You Are Appreciated. I know a lot of guys that I didn't know for a long time that they were vets...Women too that were out of the Army/Navy bases in the KC area... it's still hard to tell most of the time. Unless someone is holding a sign at a stoplight saying they are a vet and then I don't know really how to tell if it's true or they are just saying that for money. Is there a question I could ask that would verify they are vets ot just posers?

Don't ever doubt Deep, no matter what some people said or was printed that there Are Still People Who Think You All Are Heros.

Sincerely,
    Kace
    Last edited by Kace; Feb 02, 2019 at 10:16 AM.
    DeepseekerADS and RustyGold like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    18280 times
    The only mail I got was from Mom. I didn't even get to see Bob Hope and his crew. We'd get bands from Australia, small events, but they didn't come into the bush. We were kinda isolated, just day after day of boredom, and horror here and there. The times we were cold in fear. You kinda become a robot in that, occasionally we could bathe. All my friends, and me, couldn't hide we stank so much. In Cambodia at LZ Spearhead, we had a chair straddled over a hole in the ground to poop in, visible to all around = kinda humiliating.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    4564 times
    Deep....Your signature says HUGE Scorpions....How big were they...if you can compare them to something?

Did you guys sleep on the ground or in tents? I'm assuming ground if your bathroom was a chair out in the open.

Kace
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    18280 times
    Deep....Your signature says HUGE Scorpions....How big were they...if you can compare them to something?
    Did you guys sleep on the ground or in tents? I'm assuming ground if your bathroom was a chair out in the open.
    Kace
    Those scorpions in Cambodia were as large as lobsters. I had a hole in the ground where I slept. One day I went to my hole (open to the sky chiseled out of hard dirt) and there was a beautiful (?) shiny black scorpion. I hollered whoa! Flipped it out of my hole onto the bank above. One of the guys squirted it with lighter fluid, another threw a match on it and burned it to death. Then we chopped it up with a machete - it had white meat on it - kinda like a lobster.
    Kace and T.C. like this.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    4564 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    Those scorpions in Cambodia were as large as lobsters. I had a hole in the ground where I slept. One day I went to my hole (open to the sky chiseled out of hard dirt) and there was a beautiful (?) shiny black scorpion. I hollered whoa! Flipped it out of my hole onto the bank above. One of the guys squirted it with lighter fluid, another threw a match on it and burned it to death. Then we chopped it up with a machete - it had white meat on it - kinda like a lobster.
    WOW!! That's Amazing! Ive read about Crabs that can get about 3' in size, but I had No Idea that Scorpions could get that big...I don't think I could of slept without at least a Net Tent.

Were there a lot of snakes there?

If you'd rather I didn't ask these type of questions I understand.

Kace

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    18280 times
    WOW!! That's Amazing! Ive read about Crabs that can get about 3' in size, but I had No Idea that Scorpions could get that big...I don't think I could of slept without at least a Net Tent.

Were there a lot of snakes there?

If you'd rather I didn't ask these type of questions I understand.

Kace
    I heard about the snakes, but never actually saw one. For me the biggest problems were the skeeters. Swarms of them wanting my blood. The scorpion was a one time thing. In base camps, I had a fan blowing on me at night, both to cool and keep the skeeters off. And of course, there were also the leeches - covered with them after bathing in a stream. Smoked then, stickem with a lit cigarette and they'd immediately drop off. They were truly disgusting.
    Kace likes this.

May 2012
    Kalamity Falls, Orygun
    Whites M6
    1937 times
    Deep...If you ever got a letter written in a #2 pencil on Big Chief Tablet Paper in a package with good stuff, it might of been from me...The letter I mean...My Dad gave my Mom a list of stuff soldiers like to get. I doubt my letters would of been all that memorable...unless you liked hearing about my mini bike and dog Snoopy, which I couldn't of had either if it wasn't for you and all the guys with you and before you. I still have the mini bike...Because of you guys and the guys After you.

A new place opened pretty close to me called Headquarters....Its for Vets and First Responders to hang out. Lots of Vets who ride are involved in it. Im going to start taking my Vietnam era forward finds there. They use tags, patches and medals from guys to decorate with too. Along with other stuff plus .40 and .50cal Shells as shakers. They have their own wine line all named and recognizing vets and first responders. Sometimes I locate a family who doesn't want a tag from that era I find so it will go there too instead of the VFW. The old ones I find and can't locate family will still go to VFW. They also have a plaque that anyone's name can be put on who didn't make it back. Lots of nice things there.

The Best Part of the place is when you go in, you can write your name on a lite board and put on there however much money you want to spend on drinks/appetizers for vets. I think that's great. Buy Vets whatever they want to drink and eat. It's a Nice way to say Thank You and You Are Appreciated. I know a lot of guys that I didn't know for a long time that they were vets...Women too that were out of the Army/Navy bases in the KC area... it's still hard to tell most of the time. Unless someone is holding a sign at a stoplight saying they are a vet and then I don't know really how to tell if it's true or they are just saying that for money. Is there a question I could ask that would verify they are vets ot just posers?

Don't ever doubt Deep, no matter what some people said or was printed that there Are Still People Who Think You All Are Heros.

Sincerely,
    Kace
    Kace, you are truly a kind and honorable young man...I salute you.
    DeepseekerADS, Kace and RustyGold like this.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    4564 times
    Quote Originally Posted by T.C. View Post
    Kace, you are truly a kind and honorable young man...I salute you.
    Thank You TC... I appreciate that, but I don't think I'm any different than most people, I've just gotten to the point in my life where I do not wait to say to people what they mean to me. I've seen in the last few years that I might not have a chance to tell the folks if I wait too long. Almost everyday I see a part of most of you guys sharing stories and knowledge, so even though I haven't talked to or met most of you in person...I still look forward to seeing what's going on with you...If that makes sense.

I've learned a lot here from so many of you guys that do not have to share your knowledge but do. I appreciate that too. I especially appreciate when things are explained...like geofact vs artifact or the quartz debate just as an example instead of saying it's just a rock to people who might not have anyone to teach them the difference. On the other hand, I've seen you guys go to great lengths to explain something like that only to have the person be insulting back. I don't get that.

I've had really knowledgeable people in my life, but not everyone has had that blessing. My father was a vet as was most of the family and he made sure I knew the sacrifices made and respect due to vets.... if you didn't know him very well, you wouldn't of known he was a vet...He didn't talk about it. Now, his Mother did and she kept the star flag she had hanging in the window while he was serving her whole life...framed in her den when he got back. A scared but proud Mother she was of her son while he was overseas.

There's a lot of vets here and I want everyone to know I think vets are Heros and Really Appreciate the sacrifices so others could have great and safe lives.

My dad was very patient in explaining everything in life that might come up to me.... a lot of people I know didn't have fathers or mothers like mine and they were extremely kind to friends of mine who had some not so great things in their family. My Mother still is like that, with everyone who is fortunate enough to cross her path. If I even have half the character my parents and grandparents had/have I'm blessed.

I'm also blessed to have you guys to learn from and hear your stories and see your successes, in whatever you've done, or you're doing.

Thanks Again TC...I've also always liked your avatar too!

Kace
    RustyGold and T.C. like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links